Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 01:08 PM

53 posts, read 149,132 times

Advertisements

It's funny if I view it in explorer they don't show but if I use Mozilla Firefox they do. Do you have Firefox? If not I'll try to reimport them with Explorer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 01:57 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
^^ You cannot import pix directly from your computer, you have to use a photo hosting site like Photobucket. Alse see:

//www.city-data.com/forum/faq/8...ing-posts.html

Old 11-28-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
^^ You cannot import pix directly from your computer, you have to use a photo hosting site like Photobucket. Alse see:

I did import from a photo hosting site but hmmm must have done it wrong. Let me try again! Stay with me

Old 11-28-2009, 02:58 PM

[img]http://knightsinma.smugmug.com/New-Pix/New-Pictures/Kitchen-pics-001/725469778_mhj2Z-S.jpg (broken link)[img]

Can you see this one?

Old 11-28-2009, 06:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
lazy susan?

Old 11-28-2009, 09:27 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post

Actually, one can upload a picture from their computer and C-D will host it for you. //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/8...ing-posts.html

I still do not see the pictures except for one of an open cabinet.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:46 AM

Ok here's trying again! Thanks for helping me with this.

I'll go back and cut and paste my comments from each pic (is there a way to edit my other post?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	725469778_mhj2Z-M.jpg
Views:	6324
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	53655

Cabinet to the left of the stove is a corner cabinet that has a lazy susan and I keep my food there. Would like to keep it that way as it really works for me.

This is the cabinet next to the stove - see how the door hits the stove when I open it? I couldn't really put a drawer that pulls out as the door doesn't open wide enough

Name:	725469972_umvDc-M.jpg
Views:	1908
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	53656
This is the cabinet from hell when you look right into it

Name:	725469909_vhCrN-M.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	53660
and this is a pic of the deep dark dead zone waaaaaay in the back of the cabinet. I measured it (kinda) and it's about 28 inches deep.

Name:	725469930_upWVL-M.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	53661
The other cabinet I have is a high one but I thought I would throw this out there too. Here are the fronts of the cabinets

Name:	725469813_rve2q-M.jpg
Views:	1620
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	53657

The one to the left is a single door and is above the cookware cabinet from hell. It too has a dead zone. I usually keep my mixing bowls etc there. It is empty because they are all in the dish washer. Here is the cabinet.

Name:	725469877_Q4EjD-M.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	53659

The cabinets next to this one are double cabinets and I keep platters, tablecloths, etc in there. It is empty now as well (and stuff fell over that I didn't rearrang - you are going to hate this being an organization freak LOL)

Name:	725469843_rT5NC-M.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	53658

But as you can see they aren't very deep and I'm not tall so keeping pots/pans up high doesn't appeal to me very much. I don't use the things I keep in these cabinets daily so getting up on a stool once a month isn't a problem. Every day - eh.

Thank you all so much!!!!

Old 11-29-2009, 11:18 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
I'm glad you figured out how to post pics. Dont worry I have 1900 pics on Photobucket and I cant figure out how to post them on this or any other forum either.

You have maple shaker frameless 30" cabinets.

Country gal that is tiny. Tiny does not mean it does not have to be designed properly. This is what happens when some one just arranges boxes without thought to function. You discussed the BBC kits in your other post. The BBC right of the stove your door hits there. You should hit the person who did it that way. What if you reverse the door swing. You would only have to putty the knob hole and redrill another. Now the BBC kit would work.

You also have a wall blind corner on the right and a wall corner cab on the left. People hate these blind corners but many builders use them cause they take little thought to toss together some boxes and may the home buyer be damned. There just is nothing to add to these to increase funtionability.

Who put those drawer handles in the wrong place anyway?

Sorry I dont have any great advice for you because there just is not much to work with based on what you have. But just to give you some design possibilities I can do this:

If I had this kitchen to start fresh with I would first want to know what is behind the fridge wall to see if I can knock a wall down and combine the kitchen with some other space. Lets assume what you have is all we have to work with. I might start with trying to convince the homeowner that losing some stove space might be an answer to gaining more cabinet and counter top space. By this I mean thinking about a 24" or 27" stove will save space and still have 4 burners by the way. 30 and 36" stoves are not the only kid in town and certainly do not belong in a tiny kitchen.

Also by shrinking the stove 6" from 30 to 24 and losing that 3" filler to the right of the stove you know bought 9" total. Now you have enough room for a 33" lazy susan there. Amazing huh?

Next I would take the wall cabs to the ceiling with 42" tall boxes which gives you 3 shelves 4 openings rather then the 2 shelves and 3 openings you have. Who cares that you need a step stool to get to the top. Next I would make that over the fridge cab full depth. What good is a 12" deep cabinet above the fridge as most people cant even reach it? A 12" deep cabinet above the fridge is just about the dumbest thing known to be done to a home. Think what that cabinet could add in storage if it was double deep and to the ceiling. You could even buy a 27" fridge rather then that big 36" one you have. Your fridge is too big for that little space.

Now the dishwasher. Why not go to an 18" DW rather then the standard 24"? You just bought yourself another 6" cabinet space and countertop space. Based on the size of that kitchen I have to assume it is in a small condo or small one bedroom studio or loft where only one or 2 people live there. So why all these oversized appliances?

Just some ideas for you to ponder.................

Old 11-29-2009, 11:21 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
Whoa. I have one drawer, one base cabinet, and one overhead cabinet. This kitchen is at least 3x the size of any kitchen I've ever had. What's the problem, exactly?

Old 11-29-2009, 02:30 PM

LOL this is a 2 bedroom townhouse not a studio. We have two adults and one child (maybe another on the way). Full sized appliances are a must plus they came with the place . This is our "stepping stone" first home and we are hoping to move in 3-4 years. So I don't want to put too much money into it but I hate to have it be this unorganized for 3 years.

Behind the fridge is a half bath. Really I can't get rid of it. We need it and the other units here have 1 1/2 baths and I don't want to devalue the property.

I was planning on extending the height of the cabinets as I hate to see that weird extra space there. Ditto on the cabinet above the fridge. I don't mind using a step stool, but not for something I need for 3 meals a day. Ugh.

I can definitely switch the opening of the cabinet and will look into that!

Thanks for all the help!!!!

ETA: the drawer handles are in wrong????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating