Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:32 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times

Advertisements

Staining your cabinets would entail just as much or more work than painting. Change the hardware, possibly the counter top and leave them alone!

You say you like French Country. French Country is usually lighter colors, anyway.
I just looked at the pictures again. Stainless Steel appliances and French Country really don't mesh - IMO.

Definitely, the styles you've got right now is more country, i.e., your table and chairs, the light fixture and your island.
Your cabinets go well with traditional or country and they are in great shape.

Since you've got those beautiful appliances, I would work with what I've got.

I would start by finding a counter top that I like.

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-31-2009 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 09:29 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getchatalking View Post
Could I just stain the cabinets a darker color?
No you can not stain plywood. Plywood is a paintable surface. The wood is basicly ugly and stain would highlight that fact. Plywood is also just that....plys. Anywhere from 5 to 9 thin plys all glued together in alternate grain directions and pressed under heat. If you try to sand off that paint you will quickly sand to the wood and within a couple passes will sand right through the outter ply which is the only ply which looks like wood. Once you sand through that outter ply you get to the inner plys which are just junk ugly wood who's sole purpose is structure.

Your face frames, drawer faces and door frames (stiles and rales) are the only real wood in your kitchen that you can safely sand without worry of sanding too deep.

The other thing about staining is if you do not sand completely all that old finish off then the stain will not penetrate that area and will stick out like a sore thumb.

If you paint then you only have to scuff sand the entire surface. Basicly sand off the glossyness for paint to stick. But paint will ruin an other wise nice kitchen.

Last edited by desertsun41; 12-31-2009 at 09:58 AM..

Old 12-31-2009, 10:23 AM

4 posts, read 16,834 times
Default I'm convinced.

Okay, I'm convined. No staining and no painting. How do I make my stainless steel/black applainances work with the cabinets I have?

Old 12-31-2009, 06:25 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Okay, I'm convined. No staining and no painting. How do I make my stainless steel/black applainances work with the cabinets I have?
Who said stainless/black dont work with oak? Technicaly it''s not the oak that is an issue. Oak is a wood species. You are referring to color. Oak in any color goes well stainless, black or white just fine.

Probably 75% of all the kitchens I sold this year was oak. People match them with white, black and stainless. Put your energies into matching countertops with cabinets with walls with floors and dont worry so much about the appliances.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:43 PM

972 posts, read 2,442,919 times
Quote:
I'm planning on doing a moderate kitchen re-do. I'm planning on keeping my existing cabinets since they are still in beautiful condition (the color is outdated) and the stainless steel applainances. We are planning on painting the cabinets but would love suggestions for color.

Our walls currently have a warm reddish color on top and wainscoating on the bottom that is bright white.

We are also planning on replacing the countertops and backsplash.

Our room is long and narrow and there are no options for expanding it.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Funny - all the pictures of my house also have a diet coke and dog in them!

Your cabinets and appliances are not really different from those in our last house. The countertops were builder installed black laminate with wood trimmed edge. That would not have been my first choice, but I did like the black color. The only real change I made was to update the hardware and tile the backsplash with 1" slate tiles in a mosaic that tied everything together. The floors were wood, so it was easy to add color with nice kitchen floor mats.

I may have missed it, but is there a budget mentioned? Do you plan to do much of the work yourself?

Old 12-31-2009, 08:53 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
I agree with everyone!

I agree with OP that the kitchen looks dated, even if the materials are in good shape.

And I agree that painting and staining, done well, are a lot more work than it sounds like, and even good results are often less than desirable.

And I agree that it is a foolish expense to put an expensive counter on top of cabinets that don't match the quality, style, or value.

And I agree that the backsplash and cafe curtain and light fixture need to go!

The cabinets are the 'bones' of the kitchen though, so replacing them will have greater impact than all of the other changes combined. I'd start with changing the cabinets, then the countertop, then all the rest. If you can't afford to do everything at once, you can probably use the old countertop on new cabinets temporarily (assuming the general layout and sink placement remain the same).

Old 01-01-2010, 04:16 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Oak cabinets go fine with your stainless steel appliances.

Your cabinets are not "outdated". The door style is current and available in home centers today. It is a more country or a traditional door style, certainly not a "new" style but it's not out of style either. Changing the handles on the cabinets would make a huge difference. Are they antique brass?

As someone has mentioned, you can update your look with laminate cabinets that look similar to natural stone or granite for not a lot of money.

Changing the backsplash to coordinate with the counter top instead of solid white tile will make a huge difference.

A low cost solution to that light fixture might be a simple can of spray paint. It could be a hammered finish aluminum or even a flat "iron" black for about $6.

To me, you've got too much red and too much contrast in the room. Your walls, your island and even your chairs are red. I would paint the walls a more neutral color and I would consider taking down the wainscotting. It will make your room look larger.

You might want to pick out a new window fabric and work with those colors in your room.

Have fun!

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-01-2010 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 04:38 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
And don't underestimate the difference that cabinet hardware can make!

Old 01-02-2010, 11:18 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Yes, so now that the whole crazy cabinet painting debate is over, here's my 2 cents.

1. Change out the cabinet harware, nothing says DATED like cheezy brass hinges and knob. Replace them all with a stainless/brushed silver tone. That will help immensely.

2. lighten up that paint on the walls, something buttery colored perhaps? I can't tell from the computer screen wether that would bring our more of the tone of wood form the cabinets that you dislike the most or not, but yes, that dark maroony red color has GOT to go, as well as the valance, and light fixtures.

3. I think that due to the size restriction of the room, it certainly wouldn't hurt to keep your paint colors on the lighter side and to keep the wainscoting trim and wall colors in a tonal family harmony. By that I mean ditch the Bright White....it's too stark looking and only adds to the 'chopping' up look of the small room.

4. I totally love your red chars/table and island, but I think that having the island top replaced with perhaps the same material of your new countertop choice would help to remove the too much cabinet wood tone in the room that you are not into.

5. I think a nice stainless sink is in order, (you know they do make them apron fronted) farmhouse style to lend to that french country idea you've got going, but more contemporary with the stainless appliances.

6. The counter tops would look lovely in a quartz product. Have you into looked those?

7. A new range hood in stainless would be nice.

8. That backsplash goes 3/4 of the way up the wall?!? What the heck is that about?
A new backsplash is in order, but of course you already knew that! definitely something that goes well with whatever your new countertops are of course.

9. yes get all the appliances to match in stainless...but also, does anyone know a good way to HIDE that black siding of the fridge? Trimming out to cover the edges would be weird with the current cabinets right?
Is it possible to have that entire side rebuilt and replaced so that it covers the edge of the fridge, doesn't hamper the cabinet above, and doesn't look totally strange?
Perhaps you could cover it and trim it out and make the center of the panel your new message center chalkboard or corkboard type station there? I dunno, just stream of consciousness now....

Old 01-03-2010, 02:49 PM

204 posts, read 617,443 times
Just to shush all the anti-painters, I'd just like to say that my cabinets are newly painted bright semi-gloss white, with new hardware and I LOVE how they've turned out. It was a p.i.a. to do but it was my best choice.....the cabinets were very dark. The original homeowners has installed Spanish Inquisition hardware that was not only gross, but left drill holes dead-center on each door. So paint is was; the kitchen has a totally different look, the project was cheap, and everyone says the whole room looks bigger.

Back to your project. I'd leave the tile. Leave the appliances. Leave the cabinets but replace the hardware. For that I'd look into silver.

For new counter tops, definitely go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up those free little samples to try at home....there are many choices among Formica or WilsonArt.

Patterns -- Series -- Formica® Laminate by Formica Group -- Home

From the above website I'll make suggestions, but having the samples IN hand, IN your kitchen for comparison is the only way to go. Keep in mind the suggestions are only for on-line color ideas, since the actual sample may look different in person.
I'd chose a cooler tone. Something that will look nice against the white, contrast against the warm cabinets and tie together the appliances.
Tundra Terra, Stone Graffix, Concrete Stone, Buffed Nickel. For my own kitchen I'm going with Limestone in a honed finish. Love it in person, and it works for my situation.

Leaving the bright white backsplash, I'd bright white the wainscotting and other woodwork, replace the walls with a warm biscuit (Olympic paint has an all whites brochure....pick the warmest one that jumps off the page....perhaps Crumb Cookie).

For the red furniture. I'd rough-paint the red chairs in black. Meaning there would be some red showing through. Table legs, biscuit, same as above wainscotting on walls. Island legs to match the chairs.

Ceiling, bright white.

I'm not always a fan of window valances....they tend to make a window look smaller, imo.

I love red, but tend to use that as the smaller dose punch. With the above color scheme, small doses of red, green, yellow, black.

Just some thoughts from someone who is going through the economical house re-do. In my opinion, there's more inspiration/guidance from following an artistic approach...looking at how colors interact, etc. rather than from articles geared towards getting some one to buy new paint, etc. as often as possible.

Good Luck with your nice room!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating