Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:40 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Nope, I'm licensed and certified with many acronyms after my name and decades of experience.
I'll show you mine if you show me yours first.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 03:45 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I'll show you mine if you show me yours first.....
And if I refuse to post my license on the internet...what, that makes me a liar?

You are free to express your professional opinion. That doesn't mean you are the only one allowed to. There are several professional designers who use this forum. Most of us don't agree on everything.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:51 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,391 times
Quote:
And if I refuse to post my license on the internet...what, that makes me a liar?

You are free to express your professional opinion. That doesn't mean you are the only one allowed to. There are several professional designers who use this forum. Most of us don't agree on everything.

You dont have to post your license.....but I am curious are you an Architect?

Old 04-14-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:

My point was the fact that you should know that designers in different areas of the country do NOT charge the same fees, percentages, etc.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:04 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Kodaka- did you read the website you linked in one of your first posts?

It suggested: $1200 per room and 5-10k for an entire 3 BR, pre war apartment. OP is only having three rooms done. The 35% markup is on products they are purchasing throught the manufacturer- not on outside services. That article suggests 15-20% oversight/management for subcontractors.

So by your own article's estimation this designer is overcharging on everything except product markup on the items she orders. I have dealt with designers and a couple of haughty ones at that (out of Atlanta to work on houses in Charleston and Kiawah.) I've never seen full upfront payment or 35% on the subs costs. Usually you cap that at 15% same as contractors mark-up. And most will work hourly if asked & prefer it on small jobs since it guarantees they do not eat time with a client who needs a therapist instead of a designer.

As far as your comment on a 5% fee paying an architecture firms costs for several years- on some projects 5% may not even cover the cost of all the consultants much less arch staff, liability insurance and any profit. And it takes more than one hour to design and spec window openings. Arghhh!!!!

If that were the case what seems to be 1/3 of the profession would not be unemployed or contract at the moment because they would still be feasting of the glory years before the bubble burst.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
My point was the fact that you should know that designers in different areas of the country do NOT charge the same fees, percentages, etc.
I pointed out geography many posts ago, if you'll recall. But ultimately what a designer charges is what the market will sustain. Even within a given geography there is a wide range of fee structures.

What OP's designer is charging is within reason. Sure there may be some that charge less. There may also be some that charge more.

OP doesn't have to hire this designer if they don't like the fees. Although its sounding more and more like they have already hired the designer and benefited from their service, and are just looking for an excuse not to pay the invoice they've received. Which I wouldn't advocate or support regardless of the percentage charged.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Kodaka- did you read the website you linked in one of your first posts?

It suggested: $1200 per room and 5-10k for an entire 3 BR, pre war apartment. OP is only having three rooms done. The 35% markup is on products they are purchasing throught the manufacturer- not on outside services. That article suggests 15-20% oversight/management for subcontractors.

So by your own article's estimation this designer is overcharging on everything except product markup on the items she orders. I have dealt with designers and a couple of haughty ones at that (out of Atlanta to work on houses in Charleston and Kiawah.) I've never seen full upfront payment or 35% on the subs costs. Usually you cap that at 15% same as contractors mark-up. And most will work hourly if asked & prefer it on small jobs since it guarantees they do not eat time with a client who needs a therapist instead of a designer.

As far as your comment on a 5% fee paying an architecture firms costs for several years- on some projects 5% may not even cover the cost of all the consultants much less arch staff, liability insurance and any profit. And it takes more than one hour to design and spec window openings. Arghhh!!!!

If that were the case what seems to be 1/3 of the profession would not be unemployed or contract at the moment because they would still be feasting of the glory years before the bubble burst.
Everything you have said is spot on!
Especially the part where the client needing a therapist, not a designer......I have sooooooo been there!

Old 04-14-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I pointed out geography many posts ago, if you'll recall. But ultimately what a designer charges is what the market will sustain. Even within a given geography there is a wide range of fee structures.

What OP's designer is charging is within reason. Sure there may be some that charge less. There may also be some that charge more.

OP doesn't have to hire this designer if they don't like the fees. Although its sounding more and more like they have already hired the designer and benefited from their service, and are just looking for an excuse not to pay the invoice they've received. Which I wouldn't advocate or support regardless of the percentage charged.
If you had read the rest of the OP's posts, you would have noticed that I asked where she was, and that I inquired whether a contract had been signed.
What the Op's designer is charging is NOT within reason in Alabama.
Maybe in DC, but not in Alabama.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
If you had read the rest of the OP's posts, you would have noticed that I asked where she was, and that I inquired whether a contract had been signed.
What the Op's designer is charging is NOT within reason in Alabama.
Maybe in DC, but not in Alabama.
Yes I am aware OP has revealed they are in Alabama. 'Within reason' is not the same as 'average'. What is reasonable is what customers are willing to pay. It doesn't matter that the designer is in Alabama and not NYC. If customers are willing to pay it, then their fees are reasonable.

And clearly OP had no issue with the designer's fee when they were preparing space plans and ordering furniture. They just have a problem now that the invoice has arrived. And I can't imagine any designer agreeing to lower their fees after the services have been provided, because an anonymous designer on an internet forum said they should, or even just because the client doesn't want to.

Last edited by kodaka; 04-14-2010 at 04:46 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
'Within reason' is not the same as 'average'.
This statement does not make any sense whatsoever.

OP, I am not going to hijack your thread any to argue with someone that obviously has some kind of need to have the last word.
If I can be of any more help to you, please feel free to DM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating