Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why do people put laminate floors in nice houses???
Because they like them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 12:34 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I went to Sam's Club and they sell laminate flooring. There was the usual cheap looking stuff that well...looks like plastic but they also had another kind. It was very thick and had a hand scraped design. It was shockingly close to looking like real wood floors. I actually liked it.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Yeah there is some decent stuff. We put real wood downstairs, but upstairs we are planning to put laminate in the hallway, master bedroom, and bonus room. It just isn't cost effective to put down hardwood but we want to get rid of the carpet. There are definitely uses for laminate.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:12 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I don't really know why all the hate for "laminate flooring" or "laminate counter tops". They are out there for people to have in their homes, basically it is another choice of a product. Like fabrics, cotton, silk, leather, etc, doesn't make any wrong or bad, just different.

It seems like people seem to say you cant have laminate flooring or carpet, you must have wood, same with laminate counter tops, you must have granite....other wsie in this HGTV world we now live in, it is wrong.

Each one (product) has its own place in a home. Some homes call for a specific product while others do not, doesn't make it a mortal sin to have something of lesser quality.

I have real wood flooring in my kitchen, and my sister has laminate, both look equally as nice. One is not better, we both have different looks.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I don't really know why all the hate for "laminate flooring" or "laminate counter tops".
It's mostly about the underlay.
Plastic laminate counter tops over real birch plywood are great.
Over particle board? Not so much.

Similar applies to laminate flooring... only there the top surface isn't impermeabale.
Laminate flooring is really the worst of all choices.

hth

Old 04-21-2013, 04:55 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
To answer the original question by the OP...A person wants to sell their house. A realtor tells them they must update by replacing worn carpet, and wood floors are really hot now. Seller freaks out at the expense, so talks himself into an inexpensive DIY way to accomplish this, hoping that, as PT Barnum once said, "You will never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

All I know is that when we were looking at houses, many had laminate which looked cheap, and also felt strange when you walked on it. It flexed and then stuck then bounced back up when you took your foot away. This strange feel was worse than the way it looked.

We have a small amount of laminate in our office. It is the perfect thing for rolling a desk chair around on, so I have no problem with it in certain places, but I have heard that laminate cannot take any moisture lest it swell and get ruined.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:14 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Personally, I prefer the cheap, and tawdry look of a nice laminate. To pay more for a product that is no better, and in fact inferior to only claim bragging rights to make up for a lack of self esteem would be nuts. However, the keep up with the Jones out there will do it. They will judge others by their station in our society rather than by what they do, and how they interact with others.
We do need the self righteous in our society though, so that the majority will know how not to present themselves. Please feel free to judge on!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:21 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Well after much thought we decided to replace the carpet in our master closet with laminate (cat pee disaster). It was in our budget. We went with the flooring I found at sam's club and I have to say I am impressed with how it looks. It is plank flooring with a hand scraped design. It does not have the feel of laminate floors. It does not sound hollow and doesnt bounce. Its thick laminate that has padding attached. I do have to say though, I did not enjoy installing it. I found the whole click into place thing a real hassle. My husband and I thought installing hardwood was easier.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:11 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Our laminate floor looks as good as the day it was installed over 10 years ago. We've had no problem moisture wise or other wise. We get a lot of nice compliments.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
In my case - laminate floor in the kitchen, over a radiant floor, replacing a cork plank floor that just wasn't durable enough. I don't want tile in the kitchen, I can't do a nail-down floor and I don't want to put in a glue-down floor. So that leaves a floating floor, and after looking at all the options, laminate (certain very durable ones that can handle a bit of water and traffic) seems like a better choice than engineered wood.

Anyone looking at the house, should we sell it some day, and turning down the entire house because of a 10'x12' laminate floor (all the rest is tile, except for one engineered wood floor in a bedroom), has issues, frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating