Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:04 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I am painting some things around the house and I am wondering what you think...
I do have nice trim around the windows and on walls (not chair railing or any kind of paneling, they are thick, but not wide, wooden, vertical, spaced stripes.) They are old but in great shape and I want to keep them.

They currently have some glossy varnish which I don't necessarily like, but it looks good with white walls, a nice contrast.

Do you think it would look good if I painted the walls some kind of taupe/light khaki and painted the trim white? Or just reapply with the same varnish and keep the walls white?
Also, the stairs are painted the same way. Should I paint them a lighter color or reapply the varnish, what looks better from a decorative point of view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:16 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Pictures are worth a thousand words!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:18 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
Without pictures - it's an even more difficult call.
As a general statement - if the wood is in very good condion and looks good = don't paint.
If the wood is dingy, not a very good color, or in bad repair - paint!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:56 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Well, as I have mentioned many times before, I am NOT a fan of white trim. I think the wood would look better. If it is gloss and you want it to be duller, just steel wool it a little and apply a satin coat, it will take the shine down a bit.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:42 PM

Yes, it is glossy - which I do not like - , but the trim is thick and very pretty in my opinion.

I have mixed feelings, bc without painting the trim white I don't think I can color the walls other than a shade quite close to white.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
Without pictures - it's an even more difficult call.
I agree without pics it will be really hard to tell.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:46 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
I had a 1920's colonial with the original trim. It was dark oak. I never really cared for it because it was dark. The moldings were very wide which I loved but since the house was small, the place felt like a cave. I fretted over painting it because they were original and I know how people feel about wood trim but it was my house and I couldnt take it anymore. I painted everything white and wow what a difference. The whole house brightened up and all the nay sayers that thought I was crazy agreed the house looked a lot better and had more charm. My moldings were heavily varnished so I had a lot of sanding to do before painting. I then had to primer it all before the paint went on.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:23 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I had a 1920's colonial with the original trim. It was dark oak. I never really cared for it because it was dark. The moldings were very wide which I loved but since the house was small, the place felt like a cave. I fretted over painting it because they were original and I know how people feel about wood trim but it was my house and I couldnt take it anymore. I painted everything white and wow what a difference. The whole house brightened up and all the nay sayers that thought I was crazy agreed the house looked a lot better and had more charm. My moldings were heavily varnished so I had a lot of sanding to do before painting. I then had to primer it all before the paint went on.

It's your home so you should do what you want to look at. It is just if someone is going to paint it then sell, it just seems like a waste of time.
But since you are the one living there, I absolutely agree with you.
I would do what I want to look at and not worry about selling sometime in the distant future.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:02 AM

Thanks, fallingwater!

Everybody tells me not to paint the trim if it is in good shape; it is beautiful (imo) and very thick, and I could just refinish the varnish, but I think it is going to look so much better on a lighter color.

I wonder why it is a common sense idea that trims should not be painted unless they are ugly...

Old 05-27-2010, 08:06 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
I had old varnished trim in my new place and i ended up painting all white as well. Made it look a million times better. The woodgrain trim really is dated, but in the end it comes down to what you want to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating