Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 07:36 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times

Advertisements

I just read about this in a magazine, at Lows you can buy Modern Countertop Transformations for $248, it adheres to laminate and other surfaces and comes in five colors, only requires a paint roller and a few brushes. Sounds good, but does it work....anyone tried it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 07:58 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
This is the biggest hoax since they started selling tune up in a can or instant engine rebuild in a can for cars. What you are describing is just another paint that is formulated for adhering to laminate. This product is sold to and intended to be for the class C and D apartment industry. What that means is apartments that cater to welfare, section 8 and other assorted savages who will just destroy whatever they rent anyway.

We use it in our apartment units. It looks horrendous but those who rent them could care less. Your govt is paying their rent anyway.

This product has a rubber base and the finish job looks like rubber too. It looks like a high gloss rubber condom. I don't know if our Maintenance guys are just idiots and don't know how to apply it properly but every one of them have tiny bubbles in the surface making the job look even more horrendous.

Don't do it. You can likely do a whole new laminate top for well under $500.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:51 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
^^^^^ Agreed. ^^^^^

Replacing laminate counter tops with new laminate is less expensive than you might think. In my last house we tiled right over the existing laminate for way less than the stuff you are talking about.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:24 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Beyond what has been said already, which I agree to also ... if you're really insistent on trying, at least go to HD where their countertop paint is $25 instead of $250. FWIW, it's this stuff:

RustOleum.com

Old 05-30-2010, 04:14 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Thanks everyone for the tips I think I'll pass on this one!

Old 06-15-2010, 12:36 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Beyond what has been said already, which I agree to also ... if you're really insistent on trying, at least go to HD where their countertop paint is $25 instead of $250. FWIW, it's this stuff:

RustOleum.com
I just did my countertops today with this-in fact, my house smells like nail polish still this stuff smells awful. But for the price, it actually looks kind of good! We plan to do the kitchen at some point but this was to spruce up in the interim.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:54 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
This is the biggest hoax since they started selling tune up in a can or instant engine rebuild in a can for cars. What you are describing is just another paint that is formulated for adhering to laminate. This product is sold to and intended to be for the class C and D apartment industry. What that means is apartments that cater to welfare, section 8 and other assorted savages who will just destroy whatever they rent anyway.

We use it in our apartment units. It looks horrendous but those who rent them could care less. Your govt is paying their rent anyway.

This product has a rubber base and the finish job looks like rubber too. It looks like a high gloss rubber condom. I don't know if our Maintenance guys are just idiots and don't know how to apply it properly but every one of them have tiny bubbles in the surface making the job look even more horrendous.

Don't do it. You can likely do a whole new laminate top for well under $500.
While I totally respect your knowledge of kitchen design/construction, I must comment on how ignorant a portion of your response comes across.

"What that means is apartments that cater to welfare, section 8 and other assorted savages who will just destroy whatever they rent anyway."

How can you possibly generalize like this? So everyone on welfare or receiving section 8 housing assistance is a savage? Poor people destroy whatever they rent? Wow....just wow.....

The worst tenants I've seen were wealthy/privileged college kids who had total disregard for their landlord's property. I've seen many a poor folk keep their rental units scruptulously clean/maintained. Having class/culture comes from within, it's not tied to a bankbook or lack therof.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:22 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
While I totally respect your knowledge of kitchen design/construction, I must comment on how ignorant a portion of your response comes across.

"What that means is apartments that cater to welfare, section 8 and other assorted savages who will just destroy whatever they rent anyway."

How can you possibly generalize like this? So everyone on welfare or receiving section 8 housing assistance is a savage? Poor people destroy whatever they rent? Wow....just wow.....

The worst tenants I've seen were wealthy/privileged college kids who had total disregard for their landlord's property. I've seen many a poor folk keep their rental units scruptulously clean/maintained. Having class/culture comes from within, it's not tied to a bankbook or lack therof.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,050 times
Default Lowes Counter Resurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I just read about this in a magazine, at Lows you can buy Modern Countertop Transformations for $248, it adheres to laminate and other surfaces and comes in five colors, only requires a paint roller and a few brushes. Sounds good, but does it work....anyone tried it?

Yes this does work and looks very nice. I have used it in my house and am now placing it on countertop workstations in back office of 2 hotel work areas.

It is amazing ,

Old 08-19-2010, 09:56 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
This product is sold to and intended to be for the class C and D apartment industry. What that means is apartments that cater to welfare, section 8 and other assorted savages who will just destroy whatever they rent anyway.
If this product is so horrible, why are you using it in YOUR apartment units ???

Quote:
I don't know if our Maintenance guys are just idiots and don't know how to apply it properly but every one of them have tiny bubbles in the surface making the job look even more horrendous.
It seems to me that there is nothing wrong with the paint, rather with the quality of work delivered by YOUR MAINTENANCE GUYS ( your own words). So not only are you using paint class C & D in your apartments, but also same class of workers, and approve both. Nothing to be proud about ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating