Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of trading in my 2006 Jeep Liberty for a Honda Fit.

The research I've done so far indicates that they get 27 mpg in the city and about 33 mpg on the highway. I live in San Diego and commute 60 miles round trip to work every day and I need a good little car that gets good mileage.

Anybody have any thoughts on these cute little vehicles? I mean, how can you go wrong buying something that has a color called "Blackberry Pearl?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:58 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I'm thinking of trading in my 2006 Jeep Liberty for a Honda Fit.

The research I've done so far indicates that they get 27 mpg in the city and about 33 mpg on the highway. I live in San Diego and commute 60 miles round trip to work every day and I need a good little car that gets good mileage.

Anybody have any thoughts on these cute little vehicles? I mean, how can you go wrong buying something that has a color called "Blackberry Pearl?"
I like them (as well as most things Honda).

Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
I don't like very many modern Honda's but if you're looking for a good economy car the FIT isn't a bad way to go.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Lots of flexibility, fun, and good economy with the Fit. If you are buying new I suggest you also test drive a 2011 Elantra which looks to be a great commuter.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:15 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
You are probably going to take a financial beating on the Jeep, as a trade-in, you *may* be able to come out better selling the Jeep outright and just buying the Fit or something similar straight up.

Keep in mind that both the Fit and the similar (generally) Yaris are going to be available a few years old as CPO as well as new.

Don't get so set on a Fit, or a *new* Fit, that you make a bad deal on it.

For the use you are planning though, something like a Fit would be an much better car, both cheaper on gas and more reliable (probably).

Old 01-26-2011, 09:44 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,415 times
I have had a 2007 Fit Sport (stick shift) for about 3.5 years. It has 80,000 miles, and has been the best car I have ever owned. The EPA Gas mileage is pretty accurate. The only mechanical problem I had was a burned out clutch, with was 100% my fault. Aside from that, I am on my second set of tires, and my second set of front brakes.. It has run beutifuly with the usual oil changes and other routine maintenance.

The ability to fold up the bottom of the rear seats to load tall cargo is a very unique, and handy feature. I can easily load my gasoline pressure washer on the back floorboard without having to lay it flat. There is also a surprising amount of flat cargo room with the rear seats folded down. Rear passenger room is not all that great, though this is to be expected in a small sedan. We have an infant child seat that will not fit unless the seat in front of it is pushed almost all the way forward. However, front seat room is great. If you need it for individual commuting, it's pretty hard to find a better car. I am a big Toyota fan, so I looked at the Yaris. I decided on the Fit, as it had better standard features (e.g. power windows) for about the same price. I also preferred the way the Fit felt during the test drive, but of course, this is an individual preference.

I was say that a used Fit (especially a Certified Pre-Owned) would generally be an excellent deal, given my experience. Granted, I bought mine brand new for only around $15,000 (in 2007).

Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You are probably going to take a financial beating on the Jeep, as a trade-in, you *may* be able to come out better selling the Jeep outright and just buying the Fit or something similar straight up.

Keep in mind that both the Fit and the similar (generally) Yaris are going to be available a few years old as CPO as well as new.

Don't get so set on a Fit, or a *new* Fit, that you make a bad deal on it.

For the use you are planning though, something like a Fit would be an much better car, both cheaper on gas and more reliable (probably).
The Yaris is a crude and cheap car. Not to be considered as an alternative to the Fit other than by their similar size.

The Fit is probably the class of the subcompact category. The Mini is the premium car in the category. The new Ford Fiesta has gotten solid reviews and might be worth a look. The new Mazda2 has a bit in common with the Fiesta and is also worth considering.

I have driven my dad's Fit. It is very easy and a bit fun to drive. The interior is nicely done and amazingly roomy.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
Ugly and underpowered but cool with ricers. Not sure why they seem to be in the fast lane, feel like swatting them like a bug.

I'd drive any Jeep before a fit.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:15 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Ugly and underpowered but cool with ricers. Not sure why they seem to be in the fast lane, feel like swatting them like a bug.

But that's because you're ignorant and has nothing to do with the merits if either car. Run away and play now

Old 01-27-2011, 09:45 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post

The Fit is not a fav of ricers. It is not more/less powered than other subcompacts. I bet it willl outrun the Jeep Liberty handily, will use half the fuel, and one fourth the maintenance.

Motor Trend says a manual transmission Fit did 0-60 in 8.3 secs, not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura