Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 12:45 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times

Advertisements

Hi all....I am a bit bummed out. I just visited 2 shops asking about my paint job....evidently the only thing I can do is have it repainted to the tune of $4,000.

I've owned this car since it was new in 02'...only had 3 miles on it when I drove it home from dealers. I have 105,000 miles....and I have maintained it throughout it's life....Timing chain done last fall....Was planning on driving for as long as I could....So bummed to think I cannot save it from looking like a beater.

I live in a harsh Northern climate, and I have never had a garage unfortunately. This winter took a tool, and the paint is oxidizing in several places, expected I guess but I am still bummed.

Does anyone know of any tricks or products that i can apply myself, to at least slow this paint damage down until I can afford to paint it....Which will likely be a year or so.

Any tips are greatly appreciated...Thanks so much

I'll post a pic in my profile if I can figure out how to do so. EDIT pic in profile of paint damage.

Last edited by JanND; 05-21-2015 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: add pic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 12:57 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Sell it and buy a new one your car is worth around $2600. It would be you best money spent. Throwing money at a 13 year old car is never a good idea.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:04 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
WHy do you need to paint it? Doesn't seem like a good return of investment.

Keep the car, let the paint do as it may and then sell the car. Maybe take a $500 hit on the poor paint when its time to sell the car. Cheaper than paying $4K for a 13 year old car.

If the paint is oxidizing, there might be some good ways to save it with a good buff and wax. Go talk to a professional detailer instead of a body shop

Old 05-21-2015, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the comments

I did talk to professional detailers....They said they couldn't save my paint job the clear coat is too thin and sent me to a body shop for a paint estimate. I have talked to 2 body shops.

Just hoping someone has tried a product or something....even if I could just seal it to keep it from getting worse. I agree that I cannot spend 4000 for a paint job.....That is why I am asking for any tips on preventing it from getting worse. Hoping there are some old school folks who have some tips.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:08 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
rattle can of clear coat. Done.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:11 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Unfortunately, not much you can do at this point. I personally wouldn't bother painting a car only worth a few grand, but that's just me. To help prevent further damage, I would make sure to keep a good coat of wax on the car. Another thing is to possibly get a car cover. This way, when the car is parked, it will be protected from the sun as well as the harsh winters.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:32 PM

It isn't the monetary value of the car, it is the fact that I have maintained it and want to drive it for years to come....and was hoping to keep it from looking like a total beater. It is worth more to me than blu book value as a second car now.

Has anyone tried nufinish? I was just looking at various car wax/finishes...McQuires had one that looked promising too.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:42 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Jan, you will be waxing forever with those finishes.

You can go to paint scratch . com for factory matched paint and clear, but if it were me I'd just get a spray can at Wally world.

It will be shinier than the factory clear so you won't be able to match the spot, you may wind up painting the whole panel, so get some painter's tape and mask it off at the windows and such.

Overspray comes off easily with regular acetone (yes, good old fashioned nail polish remover, the old school yellow kind.) And is safe to use on the whole car. It WILL turn black rubber seals white, though.

I can't tell from you pic where the issue is, it looks like a door above the molding? At first I thought it was the roof.

I'm subscribed now so fire away any questions.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:56 PM

CCcgirl

It is the front of roof.....over the windshield. There are few more minor area on trunk lid. These areas are splatter looking, and whiteish...unlike the area I have picture of....which is clear coat peeling off, with black paint exposed.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Ok, question...Are you saying spray or brush paint the areas with original color, than spray clear coat on same areas after??

Or, just spray clear coat over the paint that is missing clear coat?

Also...Do you recommend old fashioned paste wax? if so, which is best....I'm thinking to keep a good wax job on it, and repeat just before fall.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:27 PM

25 posts, read 82,108 times
wet sand the area of the old peeling clearcoat. then tape off the area that was just sanded

then get a can of colormatch dupli color paint. spray a few light coats until its a solid color. after the curing time get a can of rustoluem auto clearcoat spray 3-5 coats last coat will be a wet coat.

wait a week or so ( the longer the better) for the paint to get hard then wet sand the roof and compound the roof.

heres a fender i did
Attached Thumbnails
Any fixes other than full paint job for 02' Accord paint damage-ifrlzi9.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura