Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times

Advertisements

My brother and I co-own a 1991 Honda Civic standard three door hatchback. 1.5L engine, 4-speed manual transmission, 166,000 miles. My brother uses it to drive to work, and Wednesday it would not start. It cranks just fine, but the engine won't fire. I noticed fuel leaking quite a bit from the fittings on the fuel filter, so I decided to replace it thinking maybe it was clogged up or something was blocking a passage inside it, also knowing it would be a cheap fix if that were the problem.

So I replaced the filter, cranked the engine, and there is lots of fuel now leaking from the fittings that attach to the filter. I also removed the fuel line running from the filter to the throttle body, and could not detect any blockage there. So I'm assuming that something is keeping fuel from going through the injector (it just has one I believe). So I'm guessing it must be either an injector problem, or an electrical problem keeping the injector from working properly. But I don't know enough about Hondas to have any idea what step I should take next, and I can't hardly afford to pay someone else to fix it right now. The car ran pretty well before, though at some rpm it seemed to stumble, as if it were having trouble continuing to rev. If anyone knowledgeable in these cars could give some advice, I'd very much appreciate it! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:08 PM

874 posts, read 2,875,859 times
What type of fittings are used to connect the line to the fuel filter? For example; are they threaded fittings, clamp type, quick connect, spring lock, etc. As you may or may not know, the fuel system is pressurized and the fuel leak from the fittings may be causing the fuel pressure to drop enough to cause your problem. I have worked on different vehicles with clogged lines, injectors and fuel filters that were bad enough to make the car not run but did not cause the fuel to leak out of fittings.

If once the leak is fixed the vehicle is still cranking but not running you can check the injector in the throttle body by touching the area of the throttle body just above the injector with your finger to try and determine if the injector is working steadily/smooth. It should feel uniform and not feel as if it is erratic. If it does feel erratic check the electric connector to the injector. If the connectors are tight you can then check for voltage using a special injector harness test light that can be acquired from most auto parts stores. If there is voltage to the injector but it is not working or feels erratic then you should replace the injector. I would not advise doing this without first stopping the leaking fuel so that you can rule out too low of fuel pressure getting to the injector.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
What type of fittings are used to connect the line to the fuel filter? For example; are they threaded fittings, clamp type, quick connect, spring lock, etc. As you may or may not know, the fuel system is pressurized and the fuel leak from the fittings may be causing the fuel pressure to drop enough to cause your problem. I have worked on different vehicles with clogged lines, injectors and fuel filters that were bad enough to make the car not run but did not cause the fuel to leak out of fittings.

If once the leak is fixed the vehicle is still cranking but not running you can check the injector in the throttle body by touching the area of the throttle body just above the injector with your finger to try and determine if the injector is working steadily/smooth. It should feel uniform and not feel as if it is erratic. If it does feel erratic check the electric connector to the injector. If the connectors are tight you can then check for voltage using a special injector harness test light that can be acquired from most auto parts stores. If there is voltage to the injector but it is not working or feels erratic then you should replace the injector. I would not advise doing this without first stopping the leaking fuel so that you can rule out too low of fuel pressure getting to the injector.
Thanks for the response! The fittings are threaded. The lines have a metal "O" shape on the end, and a bolt with a passage in the center goes through that "O" and threads into the filter. There are little washers (which I replaced) that are supposed to seal everything up. Last night I found the fuel return line and discovered that there is fuel coming through it, so I don't think it's a blockage. There are what appear to be two injectors on the throttle body. I thought there would only be one, and that may still be the case, but they both look the same except one is green and one is brown. I wanted to remove the first one, but one of the screws for the clip is stripped. After being cranked, I couldn't smell any gasoline in the throttle body, so I wonder if the injector(s) isn't working? I removed the connectors to each and put a basic test light to the connectors, and they appear to be getting voltage. I think there is actually more fuel leaking from the filter fittings now that I replaced it. I'm not sure what else to do to stop that. I used all the appropriate washers and thoroughly cleaned all the mounting surfaces (which appeared to be in perfect condition), yet it leaks worse than ever. Thanks again.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:13 AM

Ok. There are two injectors. The top one is the main injector and the bottom is the auxiliary injector. The top one is the one that I was telling you to put your finger above to "feel" if it is working. Did you try this? You will feel it while the motor is cranking.

As far as the fittings to the fuel pump go; try taking it off again. THOROUGHLY inspect the threads and washers to make sure everything is good. If everything checks out, while it is disconnected see if you can pull the threading fitting on the fuel line back to inspect the line where it sits under the fitting. Often times the line rots and it could actually be coming from the fuel line itself near the fitting and not the fitting itself. Being that you saw the fitting leaking when the non starting problem occurred I would definitely ensure stopping that leak before going any further. It is definitely possible that the pressure is not enough for the injector to spray the fuel correctly.

Also remember to check the threads on the inside of the fuel filter. You must be careful when connecting these fittings since they must go straight in. If the fitting is tilted just a little it can either strip the threads on either fitting or allow the fluid to leak through. The threaded fittings should always be able to be tightened by hand some first before needing a wrench. If you can't do this you must take the fitting out and put it in again until you can turn it with your hand some. Do not use a wrench at all without being able to turn it three times easily by hand. Also, remember that there does not have to be a hole in the fuel line for it to leak. Sometimes they get porous which means it can look like surface rust on the line but it will allow the fluid to come through without there being an actually hole in it.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:40 AM

I didn't try the thing with the injector yet because I didn't get a chance to see your post until this morning, but I will certainly try it today. Thanks for clearing up the injector thing; I never knew they had two until now! With the fuel filter, the fitting where fuel enters the filter went on easily right away, but the other going to the throttle body was more difficult. I would start trying to thread it in and meet some resistance, and back it out again. I eventually did get it to thread in by hand, and didn't need a wrench until it was nearly all the way in. I will check the thread though, since I still need to stop the leaking anyway. I don't think the hoses themselves are leaking, because they look bone dry. It appears to only be around the filter and the actual fittings that are wet with gasoline. But I will check this when I do the other things, as well.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the help!

Old 08-09-2009, 01:10 PM

Okay, I put my finger on the throttle body just above the injector and had my brother turn on the ignition, and I didn't feel or hear anything coming from the injector. I also tried putting my finger directly on the injector and still felt nothing. I knew I couldn't get the auxiliary injector out because of the stripped screw, but I was able to get the main injector out and I took it to an auto parts store to see if they could test it in some way. The guy was able to test it with an electrical meter. Not sure if that's the proper way or not, but he said it appeared to be malfunctioning. Of course, no one in town has an injector for it and I can't afford it anyway, so I didn't bother trying to get one. Plus I still need to try to fix the leaky fuel line fittings. But at least I found out that the injector probably does need to be replaced, even if it's not the whole problem.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:24 PM

I would try changing the injector first at this point since you already have it out. I suppose it is possible that the fuel is not going through the injector which is building up more pressure in the line but I would not be surprised if it still leaks after changing it. Try local junk yards and ask how much they get for the throttle body and if you can get one just swap the injector out of that one for the one in yours. Also check Craigslist and ebay and see if you can find the injector or someone selling the entire throttle body. Usually people selling the throttle body will be selling them cheap.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I would try changing the injector first at this point since you already have it out. I suppose it is possible that the fuel is not going through the injector which is building up more pressure in the line but I would not be surprised if it still leaks after changing it. Try local junk yards and ask how much they get for the throttle body and if you can get one just swap the injector out of that one for the one in yours. Also check Craigslist and ebay and see if you can find the injector or someone selling the entire throttle body. Usually people selling the throttle body will be selling them cheap.
I will look, thanks. I don't really think the fuel injector is causing the leak, I think that is probably a separate problem. I didn't bother trying to fix that today since it's insanely hot outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura