Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 05:59 AM

26 posts, read 179,989 times

Advertisements

Hey forum!

I finally closed on my house after a 9 day delay in closing.
Anyway for 11 years I lived in a house on a slab.
My new house is on a crawl and there seem to be a lot more bugs inside the house...at this time.

Do you find that there are more bugs in a house with a crawlspace or on a slab.

Maybe I should put off a fogger in the crawlspace?

Thanks,
Wahoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,386,215 times
You really should identify the insects first. You may need the aid of a professional. Capture some of them and take them to the closest University Extension center or id them through the internet. There are several good books you could also access in your local library or at the local bookstore.

You really have to know what you are dealiing with before you just begin to "fog" them out. Besides that stuff is deadly and it will rise up through the floors and settle in the house..YUK...POISON.

Good Luck

Old 02-14-2011, 01:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Basically a craw spce just meantheir is more like plqce that they can enetr from.roach love dark place for example as do mnay other bugs.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:07 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,546 times
Do you get a lot of moisture in your crawl? Do you have a least a 6mil plastic vapor barrier covering the dirt? Are there entry points into the crawl space in the form of vents without mesh covering them or a poorly made/broken access door?

A crawlspace is the same as a basement, except it is a lot easier to get bugs in there due to poor attention to detail by homeowners, therefore you can get more into your house.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:46 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
I spend a lot of time in crawlspaces (its my job). While there are always spiders in there, and sometimes what we call cave crickets, most crawlspaces are not a huge bugfest.

While not all houses have crawlspaces, almost all have an attic. There are lots of bugs in attics, spiders mostly. I also see more rodent infestation in attics than I do in crawlspaces, but that might be a regional thing.

Bugs will get into your house from the doors, and windows, and from the attic. They can also get in from the crawlspace, but I don't think its like a major freeway for them.

Don't just willy nilly fog them. That fog will make its way into the house and affect you. If you are really infested, call a pest expert and have your house treated, by someone that knows what they are doing, and can use the chemicals safely.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
You really should identify the insects first. You may need the aid of a professional. Capture some of them and take them to the closest University Extension center or id them through the internet. There are several good books you could also access in your local library or at the local bookstore.

You really have to know what you are dealiing with before you just begin to "fog" them out. Besides that stuff is deadly and it will rise up through the floors and settle in the house..YUK...POISON.

Good Luck

Use fumigators, not foggers. No settling in the house, just fumes that air out in a short time. We fumigate a coule of times a year and they kill everything, even mice. However you do not have to remove all of your food, wash all of your dishes ect like you do with a fogger. Besides, fumigators seem to work much better. Of course you leave the house while fumigating and open windows for a couple of hours before you go back in for any length of time. It does nto even leave a bad odor once you air it out.

Why do you want to know what they are? It is fine with me if bugs in my house are merely identified as "dead bugs" I do not need ot know what kind of dead bugs i have as long as they are dead.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I spend a lot of time in crawlspaces (its my job).

Come on spider, we all know that you crawl under there just for kicks. Admit it, you just love the cave like experience. You hang out under homes even when you are not working.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:55 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
Well.............
IN the summer it is a lot cooler than outside.
IN the winter, it is a little warmer than the outside.
When I have been in a really tough one (lots of belly crawling) and sweating like a pig, I will sometimes just lie there for a while to catch my breath and relax.

Doing my job you can't be afraid of 1. the dark, or 2. bugs.

But NO!!!!! I only go into crawlspaces for PAY, not for fun.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:47 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,546 times
I go into my crawl space all the time...almost like touching a healing wound over and over again. I keep waiting to find something crazy going on down there. Amazingly the previous owners of our house said they never set foot down there! Ha ha...that would explain how they had no idea they had both a camel cricket and a rat infestation! Going down there is a lot more pleasant now that it's fully encapsulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House