Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 05:07 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I rather work less for more over working harder for less...that's just me. I'm an electrician if I worked for Lowes or HD as a subcontractor they would for example pay about $45 to hang a ceiling fan. Whoopdee doo after I use my own truck, gas and tools. I charge $200 for a basic fan install and goes up. That may be too much for the tighwads that buy crappy fans that cost $50-$100 but for my better customers who drop $300+ for a quality fan it's nothing.

So I rather make more and work less. I may not be slammed with work at times but I can still pay my bills and more because I made more to cover me on those rainy days. I'm not going to bust my arse so someone can have luxury things in their home while I live like a peasant nope.
Good tradesman don't live like peasants. I'm no tightwad but you charge too much. I can..and have..used a well regarded handyman to install all our fans. Hell lowes I think charges less than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 05:37 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
I was not charge any fee for windows and then a few months later for countertops here in ID. I wonder if the fee to estimate is something related to particular stores or areas.
They also did a great job in the install of both the windows and the making and installing of the countertops.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:58 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Good tradesman don't live like peasants. I'm no tightwad but you charge too much. I can..and have..used a well regarded handyman to install all our fans. Hell lowes I think charges less than you.
Lowes and HD prices are for BASIC installs and i'm an electrician not a handyman big difference. I don't install many fans because like you said the handyman guys do a lot of them and that's fine with me. But when i work in nice houses 400k+ and they buy high end Casablanca brand fans they want a pro not a joe.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:34 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Lowes and HD prices are for BASIC installs and i'm an electrician not a handyman big difference. I don't install many fans because like you said the handyman guys do a lot of them and that's fine with me. But when i work in nice houses 400k+ and they buy high end Casablanca brand fans they want a pro not a joe.
Our home is in that range and the fans weren't particularly cheap but there's no way I'd spend 200 for a basic install. Not when there are good capable joes who are great for those types of jobs. I'd use an electrician for things requiring that level of expertise, not hanging up a ceiling fan or a light fixture. Moreover, it doesn't matter what people have spent on their homes or products..you don't price high just because. Not disrespecting you or your trade because there is value in truly good people..but 100 is plenty enough for a basic installation. My opinion of course.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Our home is in that range and the fans weren't particularly cheap but there's no way I'd spend 200 for a basic install. Not when there are good capable joes who are great for those types of jobs. I'd use an electrician for things requiring that level of expertise, not hanging up a ceiling fan or a light fixture. Moreover, it doesn't matter what people have spent on their homes or products..you don't price high just because. Not disrespecting you or your trade because there is value in truly good people..but 100 is plenty enough for a basic installation. My opinion of course.
That's fine you can hire who you want and have your opinion on prices but most people are more comfortable with an electrician. I've seen plenty of handyman ceiling fan installs with the blades barely screwed on and boxes screwed in with drywall screws and not using fan rated boxes etc. The fan basically becomes a spinning wobbly death trap. Electricians do electrical work and fixture installs all the time.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:13 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You want an estimate from them you pay $35. If you use them they take it off the bill. Any other company you use can just as easily include a similar charge if you use them and you would never know about it. Just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
But if you don't use them and want several estimates it's a big deal.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
But if you don't use them and want several estimates it's a big deal.
And thats why more and more contractors and lowes hd are charging. People are just calling everyone that answers the phone to come out and give estimates and often times people have no intentions of even starting the project soon. Time is money and fuel isnt free. If you werent paid for work at your job you would complain so why should a contractor do anything for free?

Old 04-06-2016, 11:15 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
My electrician - yes, electrician, with decades of experience - charges no where near what you do.
$200 to install a fan would get you zero customers in my area.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:16 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
But when i work in nice houses 400k+ and they buy high end Casablanca brand fans they want a pro not a joe.
The price of the fan should have no bearing on the price of the install...

Old 04-06-2016, 11:21 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
My electrician - yes, electrician, with decades of experience - charges no where near what you do.
$200 to install a fan would get you zero customers in my area.
Yep! I would never pay 200 bucks for a simple ceiling fan install. My fan cost more than $200. I paid $75. Took the dude maybe 10 minutes to install it. I paid less than $200 to have 5 outdoor dusk/dawn/motion detector lights installed, by an electrician no less! And lol, I think his name really was Joe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House