Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 10:47 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just moved into a brand new townhome development and so far, everything else except for an insect problem, has gone well. The home was built earlier this year.

We are getting these little caterpillar-worm-type insects that are making their way into the front entrance and through the garage door. They are about an inch long and maybe less than 1/4 inch wide. When they do die, they dry up and the shell is hard and dry.

To give you an idea of the layout, the townhouse is 3-story with garage, no basement. Our kitchen and main living area are on the 2nd floor and my rec room is on the first, along with a powder room and garage. There is no outside entrance to the garage. There is just a small patch of grass in front and very small bushes.The development is situated on a semi-rural plot of land and currently there are no homes behind ours, but just a ravine and open land. Additionally, there are woods behind the open area.

The exterminator did come before we moved in and they were not visible when we did the walkthrough. However, it's obvious now that these insects were not affected. We have sprayed under the front door and in front of the garage door, but to no avail. Is there any special type of insecticide we can use in the interim? It's getting frustrating

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Gil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 11:35 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,146,547 times
Hi Gil3,
If you want to do it your self; check the perimeter of the property. Are the bugs in a bush or tree? More than one if so? Finding where they are coming from will help you exterminate them. If no source is found, then treat/spray poison further out including the perimeter of the house and garage.

Oops I forgot to add. I mix insecticides into a sprayer that you pump up and that is an effective way to get the job done quickly. There are also powders and granules that come in bags. Just about any insecticide from walmart of home improvement stores will work. Wear gloves, goggles and a mask!

Old 06-30-2010, 12:20 PM

450 posts, read 5,021,540 times
It might be the time of year--I know that it seems like certain months of the year are when "inchworms" come out. Maybe consider holding off on the pesticides until you figure out what they are and whether this is just their time of the year. For instance, when I lived in an apartment years ago every September my apartment would be filled with ladybugs. Just for one month. Then they were gone. And there were swarms of them--I'd find them everywhere. I don't know how they came in in such large numbers, especially since I was not on the ground floor.

Anyhow, don't forget that pesticides are toxic and there are lots of "green" options to try once you identify what this worm is.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:48 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times
Thank you Bass and QIS..I will speak to the wife tonight about the options you both gave me and go from there. I will also ask my neighbors if they have a similar problem.

Thanks again!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
It might be the time of year--I know that it seems like certain months of the year are when "inchworms" come out. Maybe consider holding off on the pesticides until you figure out what they are and whether this is just their time of the year. For instance, when I lived in an apartment years ago every September my apartment would be filled with ladybugs. Just for one month. Then they were gone. And there were swarms of them--I'd find them everywhere. I don't know how they came in in such large numbers, especially since I was not on the ground floor.

Anyhow, don't forget that pesticides are toxic and there are lots of "green" options to try once you identify what this worm is.
I think those ladybugs came into your house during winter season, right? These insects just go into your house in cold seasons and disappear at spring. Ladybugs are dubbed as "lucky insects" so you don't have to get rid of them because they will just go away. Let the luck come in to your house.

I find this article interesting about ladybugs, take a look at it.

Why are there ladybugs on my windowsill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House