Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Hacienda style house and interior. Plain adobed walls. Crown moulding would look silly. So for me, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 03:50 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hacienda style house and interior. Plain adobed walls. Crown moulding would look silly. So for me, no.
I'm in the same situation (Tucson). Unless you have a custom home here, the mid-priced houses all have rounded corners that make it almost impossible to add wood trim. I'd love to beef up my mingy baseboards but can't figure out how to do it. Just as I couldn't figure out how to add a border of deco tile all the way around my bathroom without rebuilding the whole room.

There's the added issue of not spending so much on detail work that you price the house out of the neighborhood. For instance, I'd love to replace my cheesy fake brass interior door hardware with something that matched the other metals in my house but I have 15 doors in my house.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'm in the same situation (Tucson). Unless you have a custom home here, the mid-priced houses all have rounded corners that make it almost impossible to add wood trim. I'd love to beef up my mingy baseboards but can't figure out how to do it. Just as I couldn't figure out how to add a border of deco tile all the way around my bathroom without rebuilding the whole room.

There's the added issue of not spending so much on detail work that you price the house out of the neighborhood. For instance, I'd love to replace my cheesy fake brass interior door hardware with something that matched the other metals in my house but I have 15 doors in my house.
There IS a way to do that - going around a corner, but that might be best left to pros. A pic would be helpful.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:58 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
the mid-priced houses all have rounded corners that make it almost impossible to add wood trim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
There IS a way to do that - going around a corner, but that might be best left to pros. A pic would be helpful.

Yes, there is-
Attached Thumbnails
Why doesn't everyone put in crown moulding?-baseboard_corn.jpg   Why doesn't everyone put in crown moulding?-bull1.jpg  

Old 07-26-2010, 05:00 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,642 times
My last house was a traditional and had them-looked great!

Our new house is new construction it is not contemporary but I'll call it transitional-some what open floor plan-crown molding would not be appropriate.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:44 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Thanks, Sanrene and K'ledgeBuilder! I was aware of these products -- they're similar to what's in the house now except mine are only about 2 inches. In my rehab back East, I just added additional trim to the baseboard that was already there and repainted the whole thing for a beefed up look that is popular there. But these molded products you find in the Southwest are hard, or even impossible, to match what exists. And it's just too expensive to replace the whole thing when there's nothing wrong with what's there, according to the neighborhood standard. I wouldn't bother with crown molding for the same reason. It's not really what's expected in this type of tract housing and as it stands now I'll have trouble ever getting my money back on resale without adding extras like this.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:56 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
I love the way crown molding looks, but simply don't have the skill to take on such a complicated project. IMHO, badly done crown molding is worse than doing nothing.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I was at Lowe's today and saw their huge selection of crown moldings. I never knew it was just strips of wood you could nail into the wall yourself. I had always thought it was some sort of special material and very high end--very expensive. But it just looks high end, when in fact it's pretty cheap to buy, and can be a DIY project.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering why more people don't do this. When we were looking at houses for many months before we bought our current house, we noticed very few houses had crown moldings at open houses. Why not just put them in every room--they look so nice and are so inexpensive. Can anyone shed light on this situation?

Everyone does not have crown molding's because not everyone likes them.

I personally do not like crown molding's at all. I would rip it off if I moved into a house or apartment that had it. I like the straight line of the wall meeting the ceiling better, just my opinion, which is worthless.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:04 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Everyone does not have crown molding's because not everyone likes them.

I personally do not like crown molding's at all. I would rip it off if I moved into a house or apartment that had it. I like the straight line of the wall meeting the ceiling better, just my opinion, which is worthless.
The formal areas of my house were originally built with crown molding and that molding is still there and in excellent shape so I will keep it, but I will not install it anywhere else. To me it is a frivolous waste of money. And with a 53 year-old house there is always something that is a higher priority than crown flipping molding!

Old 07-27-2010, 05:26 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Personally I prefer a home without the crown moulding. I find the definition makes the rooms appear smaller. Also painting takes longer.

agreed.

i think its tacky and waste of money in new houses; if it was original to the time period and the house was full of ornate trim i could understand.

some feel that crown moulding makes your house more valuable or more refined. i just happen to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House