Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:31 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times

Advertisements

All, I am in a panic. I moved into my house just a few weeks ago and I see that the crown molding is separating from the ceiling - I'm suddenly worried there's something very structurally wrong with the house. I'm a first time homeowner and don't even know who to call about this. I was away for the weekend and it seems worse. Who do you call?

Suddenly I wish I were renting...

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Crown molding is decorative, not structural.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:50 AM

I know that. But what I don't know is if there's something going on with the structure causing the molding to separate from the ceiling in numerous areas. The roof was replaced a few months before I bought it, and this wasn't like this when I bought the house.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:51 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Crown CAN be an indicator of foundation movement but it doesn't mean it's a component failure. Pics would be helpful as it could be nothing but common shrinkage since it's a new house. Do you know what type of foundation is under the home? - Post tension or cable, steel floating, piers, etc.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
How old is the house? What is the Crown molding made of? Are there any other signes of settlement (cracked drywall, uneven floors, doors will not close, foundatoin cracks)? What is the house built on (Basement, crawlspace, slab, rammed earth? Concrete, block, stone, brick, dirt?) Are there any recent changes to grading/drainage on the property?

Look in your aattic, are the roof rafters sagging? Any sign of leaks? Are the cieling joists sagging or disconnected? One possibility is the roofers cut through the rafters when they replaced the roof (it happend to us). However that alopne woudl not cause the separation of the crown molding.

The most likely cause if it is a newer house is the crown molding is either plastic or MDF and it is just sagging.

Even a little diffreential settlement is not always a big deal if that is what it is.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:16 AM

Hi, the house is new to me but not new - built in 1982 - there's a crack in the ceiling as well. I feel like that wasn't even there a week ago.

I am completely freaking out, and will upload a picture in a bit.

I'm on a crawlspace and don't think there are any changes...I noticed when I went to look at the house that the roof was a bit wavy in the front (though I'm not seeing this happen where that occurred). I went up in the attic and didn't see anything strange, but to be honest I wouldn't know it if I saw it - there's a lot of insulation around too.

The crown molding seems to be wood but really separating in two hallways and one room.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:43 AM

OK let's see if this works...thanks so much for your input. If this is something I need looked into, should I call an engineer ?
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Crown molding separating from ceiling. Worried about structure-cd1.jpg   Help! Crown molding separating from ceiling. Worried about structure-cd2.jpg   Help! Crown molding separating from ceiling. Worried about structure-cd3.jpg   Help! Crown molding separating from ceiling. Worried about structure-cd4.jpg   Help! Crown molding separating from ceiling. Worried about structure-cd5.jpg  

Old 11-07-2012, 10:33 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
First, a wise painter will NEVER paint in or try to seal crown molding to the ceiling if it is affixed to the wall. Materials expand and contract based on heat and moisture, and a small gap allows the slight movement that is often needed.

Second, you don't state your location or climate. Houses move a little when going from summer to winter, and some areas of the country are known to have settling issues.

I am not noticing wall cracks, which would be of much more concern. The ceiling crack looks like the drywall was not properly taped and has shrunk from the cold and drying out. Maintain an even temperature in the room for a couple of weeks and look for any additional cracking. Note the outside weather, and if possible, the humidity in the room.

Chances are you do NOT have settling issues but the temp and humidity are different than when the work was done or the common settings that the previous owners had.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:42 AM

Thank you Harry Chickpea!

I'm in central NC and it's gone from soupy humid to quite cold in the mornings and at night. It would make sense that this could be a settling issue - someone just told me especially with a new roof, as people were walking around up there in the spring. Maybe I don't need to have a total breakdown after all

Old 11-07-2012, 12:33 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
You have what appears to be a terrible drywall/paint job. THe molding pulling away could be just sloppy installation problems. The roofers should not have bene walking around in the attic space, but they may have been. It could be movement from severe wind. Did you get Sandy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House