Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 02:35 PM

202 posts, read 834,018 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever had or installed a garden window in their kitchen above the sink?
How long did it take?
Cost of installation?
Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 12:01 PM

192 posts, read 865,010 times
I have one (installed in 2003 when I re-did this house). I would not have one again. The problems aren't major but they can be annoying:

1. Because the window extends out past the house's eaves and gutters, it can get quite battered by rain, and snow can sit on the top of the garden window. I have had problems with leaks in the top outer corners.

2. Although the window comes with shelves, I never used them because if you have things on the shelves... you can't see out the window very well! Because I do have a view of the garden and don't want to lose that, I don't use the shelves.

3. If your sink/counter bumps out (toward you), you won't be able to reach the outer part of the garden window without either climbing on the kitchen counter next to the window, or standing on a step-stool so that you can reach out into the window. If your countertop doesn't bump out at the sink, it may not be as bad but you'll still need to climb on the countertops to reach the fixed glass to clean it, and possibly to reach plants closest to the glass for watering too, unless you use a very long-handled watering can.

4. The 'sill' of the window (where your plants sit) gets very cold in winter. I had the kitchen countertop people make a separate piece of Corian to fit into the window so that the wood won't get wet or need scrubbing, but it still gets cold in winter. When I start seedling trays and grow them on, I have to put a seedling heat-mat in the window underneath the trays to keep them warm enough.

5. If your garden window doesn't have side casements (is just a fixed window on all three sides) your plants will broil in a west or south exposure.

5a. If the window DOES have side casements, plants can be knocked over by the wind coming through them UNLESS the side windows are hinged on the outside (away from the house). Side windows with hinges on the 'house' side can funnel too much wind into the garden window.

p.s. - I just realized you are in CA, so the snow/cold factors won't apply to you (lucky girl!) but I left them in just in case anyone from a colder climate is interested in the answers.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:52 PM

229 posts, read 232,708 times
Right on Windflower... I have never had one of those windows but thought of all the things you wrote about. Sounds like more trouble then it is worth. Plus, in my opinion, they just look tacky !!!

Old 04-01-2007, 03:51 PM

Thank you so much Windflower
I have always loved the garden windows. Mine will have the northern exposure, so I think it will be great!! I have decided to stay in sunny Calif and do some fun updating on my house. Next will be a white picket fence.
I'm such a girl!!LOL!
Thanks again for all of the info.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:57 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,054,464 times
They are very dated looking and actually reduce the value of a home.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:55 AM

192 posts, read 865,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
They are very dated looking and actually reduce the value of a home.
I think that may depend on the size of the window. I agree that the small ones (30" or less) can look like add-ons. Mine was installed when I replaced all of the windows in the house and is made by the same manufacturer (CertainTeed) and so it matches all the others. It is also 57" wide and 21" deep, thus it doesn't look skimpy; it looks more like a bay window with 90-degree-angle sides, than a garden window. Other than the glass top, of course.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:48 PM

My window is rather large for a kitchen window, so maybe something like a small bay window might look better.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:58 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,697,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo View Post
Right on Windflower... I have never had one of those windows but thought of all the things you wrote about. Sounds like more trouble then it is worth. Plus, in my opinion, they just look tacky !!!
i have one here in florida came with the home. anyway i have no view. i also do not put plants on the so called shelf.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:37 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,376,479 times
Yes, we installed one in our former home. Actually we installed a garden window that was a little oversized but I loved it. It was a two person job. The one and only problem we had was leaking but that got fixed right away.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:18 PM

128 posts, read 638,603 times
Default You get what you pay for

I think most garden windows look cheap and tacky. I think they are as bad as those greenhouse add-on rooms that have those brown metal vertical stripes in between the glass and make your house look like an old Arby's from the seventies.

So when I went to remodel my beautiful Cape Cod home in Ohio, I called Renaissance Conservatories who install those gorgeous atrium rooms. I got the Creme de la Creme of Garden windows. I couldn't be happier. Real Copper planter outside, beautiful wood trim, and copper bottom interior trays for plants. The shelves were glass, so I could get plenty of light through, and see through the window and still put a small plant on them. The thing made my kitchen. And the exterior was so beautiful.....just like having a bay window. It enlarged the look of my small Galley Kitchen by 3 times.

Just like most other things, I'm glad I spent the money I did. It's a real Wow factor.

Check it out:

Garden Windows & Garden Bay Windows - Closer Look (http://www.renaissanceconservatories.com/photosCloserLook2.asp?iWindowGalleryID=89&iType=4 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House