Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:53 AM

207 posts, read 1,034,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I bought a latex mattress set in February. No more pressure points like with spring mattresses. Do you have a good bed frame--one with a center support rail? Could it be your pillows?
Okay, I think I'll try latex this time. Our bed frame is excellent, and so are the box springs (only 3 years old) that we put the foam and the current air bed on. I guess it's just finding the right combination. Funny, when I was younger and single I NEVER had mattress problems. I guess I'm getting old, or fat, or something. Pillows are fine. How could pillows cause pain in my back or general discomfort of my whole body anyway??

Also, I didn't mean to offend any mattress sales people here when I said they are like car salesman, it's just a feeling I get as a customer that they'll tell me whatever to buy something. I later found out that the salespeople who sold us the Kingsdown are paid twice the comission to sell that brand compared to the others they had in the store. I remember now they did not show us ANY other mattress, and kept telling us to stop looking at anything but Kingsdown, so I guess that's why I feel so "burned" about it. $1,500 up in smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 12:12 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy123 View Post
Okay, I think I'll try latex this time. Our bed frame is excellent, and so are the box springs (only 3 years old) that we put the foam and the current air bed on. I guess it's just finding the right combination. Funny, when I was younger and single I NEVER had mattress problems. I guess I'm getting old, or fat, or something. Pillows are fine. How could pillows cause pain in my back or general discomfort of my whole body anyway??

Also, I didn't mean to offend any mattress sales people here when I said they are like car salesman, it's just a feeling I get as a customer that they'll tell me whatever to buy something. I later found out that the salespeople who sold us the Kingsdown are paid twice the comission to sell that brand compared to the others they had in the store. I remember now they did not show us ANY other mattress, and kept telling us to stop looking at anything but Kingsdown, so I guess that's why I feel so "burned" about it. $1,500 up in smoke.
Hey, I'm not offended at all......only advice I can give you is this; if you feel pressured, walk away.
A good salesperson is going to develop a relationship with you, and is going to take the time to help you find what you need, not just sell you something that is going to pay them the highest spiff. I've worked with people like that, despise them!!!!!
As far as your pillow question, yes, a bad pillow can make your back ache, due to holding your neck at the wrong angle.
All those years of going to bedding seminars taught me a great deal about how we sleep.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:52 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,602,397 times
Maybe you and your wife should invest in some quality relaxation time at least once month...or better yet, once a week. Go to get a couples massage. That might help takes some of the kinks out too.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:58 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,126,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Maybe you and your wife should invest in some quality relaxation time at least once month...or better yet, once a week. Go to get a couples massage. That might help takes some of the kinks out too.
Agreed! If someone still feels bad a couple of hours later after a massage, it's definitely the mattress and/or pillow! I knew it was when we needed to get a new mattress for us when we felt this way!

Old 10-02-2010, 12:55 PM

238 posts, read 617,457 times
we recently purchased a tempur-pedic (cloud supreme) and have slept on it for only a few days. i, for one, was having lots and lots of sleeping problems. the first nite, when i got into this bed, i slept like a baby. it has been that way since. no more pains. i'm sorry i waited so long to purchase only because of the expense. now that i am older, if the expense can ease some of these aging bones, it's worth it. it is not hot at all.

tempur-pedic has set prices like bose radio. often there are freebies that are tossed in with the purchase. take the free bed rails...we thought we would be fine with our existing one, but during installation, we discovered, it would not have fit correctly.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:57 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNC View Post
My wife and I have been looking for a new mattress and we are having a hard time making a selection. We have a standard Serta box spring mattress and we like it, but it is time to replace it. We have been considering getting a Tempur-Pedic mattress, but I am reading a lot of mixed reviews on them. Some people love them and some people hate them. Because of the mixed reviews I thought maybe we just need to buy a standard box spring mattress, but when I lookup info on them I get mixed reviews on all the major brands of them also. I am at a loss at what to get. We went and looked at the Tempur-Pedics again today and I really like them, but I am worried about taking such a big risk on them since they are double the price of most box springs. Does anyone on the board here have a Tempur-Pedic that can offer up an opinion?

Thanks!!

John
Sleep Number. End of story. I've had mine for 5 years and have stopped having back pain.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:35 PM

551 posts, read 1,188,870 times
Hey you should try the mattress @ the W hotel.. you can get them 30% off a code found on google best sleep since!

Old 10-02-2010, 02:43 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,126,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Sleep Number. End of story. I've had mine for 5 years and have stopped having back pain.
We're getting a Sleep Number delivered to our home this Tuesday coming up. I'm excited! I took a day off work to be here for the delivery (since it's a 4 hour window) and I have other errands to run in the morning but I look forward to testing it out, ala power nap after it arrives and is set up!

Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 AM

207 posts, read 1,034,786 times
We had a Select Comfort Sleep Number bed for a while, but the damn thing developed a leak and, after they sent a new pump, we could never felt comfortable again. Shortly after, we got a new King sized bed and had to get a new mattress anyway. So now we're back to an air bed (after trying foam and traditional inner spring) made by Habitat Furnishings because they have a 180 unconditional return policy, and we figured 6 months was enough time to figure out if it was going to be comfortable or not. Well, it turns out THAT airbed also had a leak, and once fixed, is still not comfortable so we paid $200 more for a 2" latex topper and FINALLY that has provided some relief. We went back to the airbed because we always had lower back pain as a result of typical mattresses, including FOAM, sagging after a while. We figured "air" can't sag. But then we were left with uncomfortable pressure points even though our lower back pain went away. So all I can say is that it's been a saga, and extremely difficult to find a reasonably priced bed that won't sag or create pressure points.

My verdict so far:

Air beds = high chance of leaks, but at least they won't sag over time. Generally no more comfortable than foam or innerspring though.
Foam = Feels great at first, pressure points vanish, but sagging WILL eventually occur. Don't be fooled by the word "memory".
Inner spring = Although these beds are a cheapest, they are also the most predictable to cause disomfort down the road due to sagging.

The only combo that works for us so far: air bed plus latex (NOT foam) topper. Hope this helps someone.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
We have a latex foam rubber mattress. They are very expensive, but they seem to last forever without changing. I think that we paid around $2,700 for it about ten years ago (Cal King sized). It is still as comfortable as the day we bought it.

They are very very difficult to move beacuse the mattress is all floppy and you cannot grab it anywhere and get a good grip. It really takes four people to move it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House