Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 06:19 PM

450 posts, read 5,021,283 times

Advertisements

New home-owner here. I need to do some caulking, never done it before. I understand about needing the caulking gun. Can someone tell me about different kinds of caulk and when to use each type? Do I have to use rubbing alcohol (have read online about this). Any other technique tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 07:55 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,705,695 times
You'll really only need to know about 2 types; latex and silicone.

For the most part, silicone is used in areas that need to be waterproof and will not be painted, as silicone is unpaintable. There are a couple of paintable silicone mixes that are fairly new on the market, but I haven't had a reason to use them yet. Silicone requires alcohol or mineral spirits for cleanup. Common areas for silicone caulk: exterior around doors and windows, interior around tubs, showers, and sinks.

Latex is mainly used in interior applications, it isn't quite as impermeable as silicone and has more of a tendency to mildew in damp or humid areas. However, latex caulk is water based and can be cleaned up with soap and water. Common areas for latex caulk: interior along baseboards and trim, and exterior applications that need to be painted to match the surrounding surface (siding, flashing, painted trim, fascia and soffit, etc.)

If you've never caulked before, practice on hidden areas or on scrap before you get started. It doesn't take long to get the hang of smoothing the bead, but the first couple runs are gonna be ugly. And don't fall for the caulk smoothing tool gimmick. The best tool around for smoothing a caulk bead is a wet finger. Run the caulk bead, wet your finger, and run it over the caulk starting at one end and working to the center. Wet your finger again, start at the other end of the bead, and work to the center.

Hint: when you get to the end of the bead you are running, push the pressure release button on the gun. This will keep the caulk from spewing out while you are smoothing the bead.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:21 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
For outside apps use nothing but Tremco mono. It lasts 20 years. Never caulk a counter flashing, you will create leaks. Only caulk where necessary, for example some windows are flashed properly and need no caulking. I have a huge mastersuite bathroom I had built and I could challenge you to find any caulk in it. You probably would not find any but there is a little but hidden.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:22 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times
Quote:
The best tool around for smoothing a caulk bead is a wet finger. Run the caulk bead, wet your finger, and run it over the caulk starting at one end and working to the center. Wet your finger again, start at the other end of the bead, and work to the center.
Exactly right.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 PM

450 posts, read 5,021,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Never caulk a counter flashing, you will create leaks.
Can you explain more what you mean by this? I don't know what a counter flashing is.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:28 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
Can you explain more what you mean by this? I don't know what a counter flashing is.
Two examples. One, the metalwork around a chimney. Never caulk or seal where the metalwork meets the roofing. Where the metalwork meets the bricks and is not morterd into the brick you caulk with mono. Two,If the house has replacement windows that are capped with aluminum flashing. If it is done properly you need no caulk except where the window sash meets the old frame. Just look at each example that you plan on sealing and if it looks like it;s been designed for water to flow through and out then it probably is. If you caulk a joint like that what happens is that you trap water that should drain and instead it forces the water sideways and causes a leak. I owned and opperated a roofing company for many years and I would allow my men one tube of caulk for a big roof. If things are done proper on the outside of a house water just drains away by gravity. I also see a lot of unnessary caulking inside houses. I hate caulking. it's ugly even when an expert applies it and I will only use it where it's absolutely required. Like in a bathroom where the ceramic walls meet a bath tub. Uaually these joints are caulked. I have no idea why since the tub has a 2 inch flange all the way around it and water does not flow uphill in my experience. This tub to wall caulk always looks like crap and is always mildewing and causing the type of problem I was refering to. The water gets in because no caulking seal is perfect and it just stays wet in there forever. Without the caulk what ever little bit of water that does get up there dries out and it can't cause a leak because of the flange.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:08 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
This will all be greek to you but, If you examine the details well you can probably figure it out.

http://www.hansonbrick.com/en/techNotes/pdf/residential_flashing.pdf (broken link)

Old 08-21-2010, 05:00 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,128 times
"Caulk and paint, make it what it ain't"

Not really.....just like saying that. Seems like I see examples of that daily. Caulk is great when applied correctly in the proper application.

There are good guys here who will give you the good info on the subject. It's great to learn and become a GOOD do it yourselfer.

Enjoy!

Old 08-21-2010, 12:17 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
New home-owner here. I need to do some caulking, never done it before. I understand about needing the caulking gun. Can someone tell me about different kinds of caulk and when to use each type? Do I have to use rubbing alcohol (have read online about this). Any other technique tips?
Don't get it in your mouth.

I second that a finger is the best beading tool. I received a tip from an old man years ago to the effect that a drop of baby oil rubbed between thumb and index finger helps you avoid "shearing" when smoothing your bead of caulk.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Well, most of what you should know is already covered. here a few more things that you should know about caulk

1. Never eat it.

2. Do not leave it in your unheated garage over the winter.

3. If you do nto use the wole tube, stick a big nail in the end of the nozzle to keep it from plugging up.

4. Do not buy a cheap caulking gun.

5. do not put or allow caulk in your hair. Wear a hat. This is especially true with silicone caulk.

6. Practice on some scrap lumber before you touch the caulking gun to your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House