Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 07:56 AM

450 posts, read 5,023,568 times

Advertisements

My husband has been trying to paint the wood trim on our staircase, where the spindles meet the floor, which was an ugly brown wood stain. He has found it very difficult to not get visible brush strokes in many different directions while painting this, because of the spindles. We are painting this trim white, to match the spindles, which were already painted.

What is the best way to do this? He has been using a paint brush and a smaller brush for painting around the spindles, but we are not happy with the results (brush strokes in all directions).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 08:02 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
Sounds like he needs better paint. With good quality paint, the paint will self-level, making the brush strokes go away. What kind of paint is he using?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:13 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,296,644 times
There's a product called Floatrol (sp?) that professional paint sprayers add to latex paint, or Penatrol to oil-based paint to make application more smooth. You only need add a very little bit to make your paint work 100% better. The product tells you the correct ratio on it's product container.
Hope this helps.

You can read about them online

Old 08-29-2010, 01:00 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,310,197 times
Better quality paint may help. You might also try those foam brushes.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:45 AM

13 posts, read 53,212 times
tape the sides and add small 8-10'' paper to it , spray coat of kilz primer sealer keep this cover while dry then light scuff rough areas caulk ugly looking corners then brush with satin impervo from Benjamin Moore Paints -Two thin coats are better than one thick brushing ugly looking coat"r find the matching spray enamel color and spray them this should take about 2 or 3 hrs to paint a normal 75 spindles stair with a few hours for drying between coats and of course the labor will be on the covering, tape and painter paper works good / sticky stair plastic works better" take your time and cover it right one time that way you can work on it fast and easy in case you need extra coats.
if already looking brushie and streaky , tell ur husband to sand it down with 150 grid then painted again after doing this 2 or 3 times brush marks will go away :don't forget to thin the paint most people think the the most paint they apply the better but is the other way around :O love paint

Old 12-19-2010, 08:37 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
There's a product called Floatrol (sp?) that professional paint sprayers add to latex paint, or Penatrol to oil-based paint to make application more smooth. You only need add a very little bit to make your paint work 100% better. The product tells you the correct ratio on it's product container.
Hope this helps.

You can read about them online
I don't think the Floatrol is as good for latex but Pentrol for oil base is great and its easy to get a srayed looking finish. Ofg course a really good trim brush is also inportant and the best cost about 30 dollars for two inch.Lowes and Hoe depot only carry the medium grade brushes;try Sherwin williams for easy sourse of really good ones.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:47 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,151,731 times
I have used a variety of cheap paints but nothing is worse than using a cheap paint brush. I only paint with Benjamin Moore and only use a good paint brush. The last paint brush I bought cost 25 dollars but I have had it for 4 yrs now.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:16 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I only paint with Benjamin Moore and only use a good paint brush.
Me too!

My brush is now ~6 years old... no one else is allowed to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House