Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 02:03 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times

Advertisements

I have a garage wall that has panel boards (shiny smooth surface).
I am converting that to a playroom for kids.

Do you suggest I wallpaper it or sheetrock over it and paint ?
I would love to hear the pro's and cons of it.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 03:13 PM

468 posts, read 1,542,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I have a garage wall that has panel boards (shiny smooth surface).
I am converting that to a playroom for kids.

Do you suggest I wallpaper it or sheetrock over it and paint ?
I would love to hear the pro's and cons of it.

Thanks in advance.

If the panel boards are completely smooth, and not the kind with the grooved lines, then wallpapering would be a good start to the playroom.

Why? Because the panels are already up, and wallpapering isn't all that difficult. A bit time consuming if you're concerned about matching prints at the seams.

If, over time, the wallpaper stops being what you want you can always take down the panels and put up sheetrock. Then paint it.

Also, wallpapering isn't your only option. You can always paint the panels instead. It would be the same as painting the sheetrock, but a whole lot less trouble than putting up new sheetrock in its place.

If you don't have much time, or money, just paint the panels. If you have more time, but still not alot of money, then wallpaper over the panels.

If you have plenty of time, and money, then tear down the panels, replace them with sheetrock, tape and bed the seams, cover the screw holes, sand everything smooth, and then paint. As you can tell this is the most time consuming, and most expensive, option.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:39 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
If i was in your situation i would rip it out and put up drywall. It's not expensive and since the pieces are already cut with that boarding currently up, you can use that as a template to make installation easy. Not to mention it will look better, and add value.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:25 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,996 times
I'd paint the paneling using blackboard paint (which also comes in green) for one section, and buy a sheet of cork (you can get that in the flooring section of the big boxes at a price per foot lengths, for another section, it can be glued right to the paneling with the appropriate liquid nails, or framed out and hung on the exiting panels, and perhaps find a large eraser board for using dry markers on another sectioned out area. If you're making it a play room, make it a PLAYROOM! Wallpaper and or paint will not fare well with active kids, so make it kid & mom friendly.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:24 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
great ideas guys.... this forum is awesome, once again.... thanks guys !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House