Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 10:06 AM

821 posts, read 2,038,382 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is a silly question but me and my DH are at a stand still
We bought a house and the kitchen floors are driving me nuts we are planning to completely renovate the entire kitchen in about two years so this is not permanent at all but in the mean time I just cant stand the kitchen floors they are sticky tile that were orginally the color of cream and peach but now they look like they are centries old and are permantly a dirty color even if I get on my hands and knees to to scrub it clean (which i have done a ton of times)... So here's the question.

My DH wants to put down linoleum he says that its easier and it looks nicer. I want to put down sticky tile because to me its easier and in one get damage you can just replace it...

which one should I do ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 11:14 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Since you're going to renovate in about 2 years, I'd go with whatever is cheapest and gives you something you can live with. I'll agree that linoleum will look nicer, but I don't think it will be easier to install than the tiles and there's a chance that the existing tile pattern will reflect through it.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Just a sticking point with me...your DH is talking about sheet vinyl, not linoleum. Real actual linoleum is not cheap and most laypeople do not have the skills to lay it correctly themselves. It's not easy. So getting real linoleum put down is an investment not only in materials but labor as well. I didn't see a single estimate under $4,000 to put linoleum in my kitchen. I could get sheet vinyl for maybe $1,000 if I let someone rip me off.

Most people can lay sheet vinyl well enough though; it's much more flexible and easier to apply. I'd choose sheet vinyl over sticky vinyl tiles personally.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:42 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times
I've never cared for the sticky tiles because they never seem to stick well. I've never seen any where some of the edges haven't spread open a little.

Personally, I would go with the sheet vinyl. It's easy to install and if it's not going to be a permanent thing, you don't have to buy the best. It just has to last a couple years.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:19 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
depending on the size of your kitchen, have you thought about lament wood flooring? It has really come down in price. We had a very tiny kitchen at our old place and it only cost us a 150 bucks to put it down. It made a huge difference. Otherwise I would go with stickies.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:37 AM

600 posts, read 3,449,059 times
Here are a couple of suggestions:

1) Armstrong Stratamax and 2) Mannington Sobella.

Both of these sheet-style vinyl floors can be loose laid, or bonded to the sub-floor (your choice). They range in price from about $12.00/SQ. YD. (Mannington Sobella "Value") up to about $24.00 (Armstrong Stratamax "Best"). They'll perform well, they're reasonably priced, they're easy to install, and they are not permanent.

The existing floor or sub-floor will have to be prepped to make it smooth before any new floor goes over it.

There are so many neg's to the "sticky tile" idea that I don't know where to begin.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 10-11-2010, 08:44 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
Go with sheet. The sticky tiles are a problem unless you have an ideal smooth surface perfectly clean to adhere to and no dirt, dogs, or other things on the floor frequently.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:33 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Personally, I'd just live with it if you absolutely know that you are going to do a full kitchen renovation. Save your money and keep looking up instead of at the floor.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 AM

821 posts, read 2,038,382 times
Thanks for all the replies. We decided to go with Sticky tiles because we got a great deal on it and there was a better selection to choose from. We are having a contractor friend lay them down for us so he is going to put and extra adheasive so that there will be no problem with them sticking.

lifelongMOgal: I tried, I really did try to live with them if I took a picture of my floor that were just hand scrubbed you would tell me that I was lying.. LOL the floors are so aged and beat up and cracking that they are really unbearable and to wait two years before we could renovate I just really couldnt do that thank goodness my DH agreed witht that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House