Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 10:33 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times

Advertisements

Hi all. First, this is my first time dealing with a gas furnace, so I want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.

I had turned the thermostat on heat, and the furnace didn't turn on (it was set to 65 and it was 60 in the house). I figured the pilot light was out, so I went downstairs to the basement where the furnace is.

I don't know the model number of this furnace, but it says it was new in 2002, and it has a Honeywell Gas Valve Model SV9541M.

When I went down to the basement, the pilot light/gas valve light was off. I shut everything off (gas, gas valve, power breaker, and thermostat) as according the the instructions on the panel. I then followed the instructions as shown: I turned the gas back on, waited a few minutes, turned the gas valve on, replaced the panel, turned the breaker on, and turned the thermostat on heat. The pilot light/gas valve light is blinking steadily...which according to the diagnostic says it is normal operation.

It failed to turn on. While the thermostat is on 'heat', I can turn the fan switch to "on" and it circulates the normal air, but the heat still won't kick on....and the auto fails to work.

Also, the heat delay switch is set to factory setting (on 30 seconds I believe).

I repeated this process multiple times to no avail. What is possibly happening? Did I forget a major step? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 01:38 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Is the gas on at the meter?
Does this unit have a pilot light, or an electronic ignitor (little glow thing)?

When you turn it on (at thermostat) do you hear some clicks, or does the fan come on? Usually the sequence is: you call for heat at the thermostat, the unit will click on and you will hear a click when the pilot, or glow ignitor starts. Then, in a short amount of time, either the pilot will comes on, or the glow ignitor will start to get hot, then you will hear another click, and the gas valve will open up and the flames will start. At some point the blower fan will turn on as well.

It could be as simple as the gas is off at the meter.
Or there could be air in the gas line, and it takes a while for it to get out to allow the gas to flow. This can make the first start up difficult, since it will take several cycles to bleed the air out of the line.
It also could be a thermostat wiring issue.

Check the gas valve first.
Then try to cycle it several times and see if it starts.
If it doesn't start after several attempts, then you should call a repair guy.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:00 PM

The gas is on at the meter and the gas for the heater comes from the same pipe (no valve) as the gas for the water heater, which is working.

This is an electronic ignition Honeywell smartvalve. The diagnostic light on the SV says it's normal operation.

I don't hear any clicks at all, although a few times I've seen the power flash without it doing anything.

What do you mean by 'cycle'....turning on/off the gas valve to the furnace several times?

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:30 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
I would first take the furnace to couples therapy so that you can work out your love/hate issues.
Then I would call a repairman. If the glow plug is lighting, it may not be hot enough to allow the gas valve to open to light the burner. Sometimes the glow plug will light but not be hot enough. It looks like it's good, but it is not hot emough. A repairman can replace the glow plug.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:47 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Time for a repairman to take a look it sounds like. Might be a bad ignitor.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:43 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Does the ignitor glow red? if it does not, then you probably need to replace it.

What I meant by "cycle" is to call for heat several times. You will usually have to shut off the service switch that is located on or near the unit. If you set the thermostat to hEAT, and have the temp set higher than the room, it will call for heat.

If there is air in the gas line, the unit will time out waiting for the gas to flow, you then have to shut the unit off at the service switch, wait a minute, then turn it back on.

You may need to get a service tech out.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:23 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
Hi psulions2007,
Whether it has electronic ignition or not( it has electronic ignition); it has a thermocouple which allows the ignition system to "talk" to the regulator and mother board. It sounds like there is a communication problem either at thermostat or the thermocouple. It is the beginning of the cold season so get someone out there ASAP and hope/pray for a routine repair/service call with minimal parts replacement!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:44 PM

I don't know what the ignitor looks like (can't find a diagram), but I can't find anything glowing red. Looks like I might need a tech.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:19 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
The glow plug (ignitor) will be where the pilot light should have been. It will glow bright red when you call for heat. When it gets hot enough, it will open the gas valve and start the burner. If you do not see anything glowing red, you need a new ignitor(glow plug)

Old 11-03-2010, 07:18 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Also check to see that your thermostat is performing...we've got a newer digital thermostat that just went bad and so we were not getting heat except from the heat strips (we've got a heat pump).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House