Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

I would try to get grounded outlets in where there is easy access to wiring. Even if you only get one into a given room it will help. Keep in mind that not too many household items have three prongs (i.e. they are not grounded). If you cna get at least one grounded outlet int he kitchen, and each bathroom and wherever computers are likely to be plugged in, you will hav emost of the needs for grounded outlets covered. If it were my house to live in, I would put GFCIs in the ungrounded outlets if they will fit into thte boxes. However for a rental, I woudl not do so. Even if the GFCIs are marked "Not Ground Protected" the stickers may come off, get covered up, or may be beyond the comprehension of a renter. It is better to put in two prong outlets and then int he realtal agreement include a statement that the two prong outlets are not grounded, that the renter is nto to use any appliances requiring a ground in those outlets and that the renter understands and accepts the risk of using non-grounded outlets. You will want to write it in a way that is clear, but will not scare prospective tenants away.

That will only provide limited protection, but it will help. Having tenants who are not idiots will do more to help. Of course you will have insurance as well.

As I understand a non-gorunded GFCI, it will still trigger if there is a ground fault. In other words it trips if a person gets a shock, or the appliance shorts out etc. However it will not provide a better path for electricity to go through if there is a short. That is what the gound does. It takes the power to the ground through the wires, rather than through you. It can also help prevent fires in some instances. Someone else may be able to explain this better.

Thus, GFCIs do provide better protection than regular outlets even when not grounded, but they may mislead a tenant into believing that a circuit is grounded. (Not that tenants actually think about whether a circuit is grounded or not, the absence of a ground just gives them a basis to blame you after the fact if they do something stupid).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 02:01 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
If practical I would avoid putting a GFCI on the outlet used for the fridge, they are a PITA in that they sometimes trip for no apparent reason, power surges I guess. Maybe the newest ones are less prone to this.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If practical I would avoid putting a GFCI on the outlet used for the fridge, they are a PITA in that they sometimes trip for no apparent reason, power surges I guess. Maybe the newest ones are less prone to this.
Inspector here lets me install single outlets, not the common duplex outlet, for dedicated refrigerator/freezers

Had a rental property with standard grade GFCI's a number of years ago and had constant trouble with refrigerators... it would trip when the compressor started... ended up putting in expensive Hubbell GFCI's and no more trouble.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:04 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Hang on now... I think that you could defeat a GFI by cutting a lamp cord, stripping back about 10" of sheathing on both conductor wires, wrapping one bare wire around your left hand and one bare wire around your right hand, standing on a 3/4" piece of plywood covered with a rubber horse stall mat, gritting your teeth and plugging in the cord.

So it may not be strictly accurate to say that there is no danger.
lol, anyone who does that deserves what's coming.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:42 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
First of all a GFCI outlet only protects against ground faults and is not a substitute for grounding. 2 different things.
If I had limited access (like a slab), here is what I would do:

1. I would confirm that the 3 prong outlets that are already installed are NOT grounded, or have a "bootleg ground". If they are properly grounded - GOOD!
2. If the existing 3 prong are NOT grounded, I would replace them with 2 prong outlets.
3. There are two outlets that really are "must haves" in the grounding game, the refrigerator, and the washing machine.
4. I would probably run a new circuit and provide grounded 3 prong outlets in each bedroom, the living room, and the kitchen, just because there is likely something with a 3 prong cord that someone is going to need to plug in. You can go into the attic and run wire mold or conduit down the walls to provide a properly grounded outlet. That way renters can plug in their microwave, computers, and entertainment stuff without having to worry.
we are working on this. The electrician says the refrigerator and oven plugs are grounded but nothing else in the house is. The GFI plugs in the bathrooms were "jerri-rigged" so they test grounded but some funny wire crossing deal was done to make them test OK for inspection but they are not grounded. We are replacing about 25 of the outlets new outlets with new 2-pronged outlets where there is not a way to ground them. But also found in several that there were ground wires clipped flush with the electrical boxes (metal boxes) and they don't pull up. So my electrician is thinking about a solution for those.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:11 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
. . . . The GFI plugs in the bathrooms were "jerri-rigged" so they test grounded but some funny wire crossing deal was done to make them test OK for inspection but they are not grounded.
they connected the ground screw to the neutral screw. gfi's are not required to be grounded; whoever did that is an idiot.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:37 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
FYI, from an OSHA article:
"The ground-fault circuit interrupter, on the other hand, is a fast-acting device which senses small current leakage to ground and, in a fraction of a second, shuts off the electricity and interrupts its faulty flow to ground. The rapid response of the GFCI is fast enough to prevent electrocution and this protection is independent of the condition of the grounding conductor.
A GFCI can prevent an electrocution; however, it cannot by itself prevent an initial electric shock to an employee before it interrupts the circuit. This initial shock could lead to injuries of an indirect or secondary nature in which involuntary muscular reaction could cause bruises, bone fractures, and even death resulting from collisions or falls. Therefore, GFCIs are in addition to, and not in lieu of, equipment grounding conductor requirements."

GFCIs eliminate most, but not all of the risk. They also do not protect equipment like computers that may require a ground to avoid damage in some circumstances. Just be aware of the potential risks. You lease cannot protect you from liability in this circumstance. Besides, even if your lease cna get you out of a lawsuit, it will cost you tens of thousands to reach that point. Good insurance can help.

By the way, does nayone know whether a surge protector will work on a non-grounded circuit? I ahve never seen a surge protector with a two prong plug.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:07 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Nope, a surge protector has to have a ground in order to do it's job.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I had to have my 1921 cottage rewired to get grounded outlets. Someone had put in 3-plug outlets that were connected to nothing. Looked good but that was it. I had the basement open at the time so it was relatively easy.

However, I still have some old knob-and-tube wiring where I was not willing to destroy plaster and those outlets still look good but still go nowhere. You just never know with an older house. My work was permitted and inspected and I have the stamped plans to show it

Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
FYI, from an OSHA article:
"The ground-fault circuit interrupter, on the other hand, is a fast-acting device which senses small current leakage to ground and, in a fraction of a second, shuts off the electricity and interrupts its faulty flow to ground. The rapid response of the GFCI is fast enough to prevent electrocution and this protection is independent of the condition of the grounding conductor.
A GFCI can prevent an electrocution; however, it cannot by itself prevent an initial electric shock to an employee before it interrupts the circuit. This initial shock could lead to injuries of an indirect or secondary nature in which involuntary muscular reaction could cause bruises, bone fractures, and even death resulting from collisions or falls. Therefore, GFCIs are in addition to, and not in lieu of, equipment grounding conductor requirements."

GFCIs eliminate most, but not all of the risk. They also do not protect equipment like computers that may require a ground to avoid damage in some circumstances. Just be aware of the potential risks. You lease cannot protect you from liability in this circumstance. Besides, even if your lease cna get you out of a lawsuit, it will cost you tens of thousands to reach that point. Good insurance can help.

By the way, does nayone know whether a surge protector will work on a non-grounded circuit? I ahve never seen a surge protector with a two prong plug.
The homes I manage are inspected yearly by City/Hud inspectors... each outlet is tested at move-in looking for non-functioning grounds in "Grounded" outlets.

I've never not had a home pass and they do now require GFCI along kitchen counters and in bathrooms... with or without a ground.

Anything is possible, I do have 10 to nearly 30 years of documented inspection reports to fall back on should a problem arise...

I think a better statement is you cannot prevent anyone from filing a lawsuit... however, a properly maintained unit in compliance with Federal and State Laws along with a well written and executed lease is your first defense against negligence as I see it.

Codes continue to evolve... how many homes have stair railings that do not meet current code or thermal limiting shower valves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House