Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2007, 02:08 PM

525 posts, read 1,853,187 times

Advertisements

The only time I turn the air on is at night to sleep, otherwise the air is turned off. It has gotten as high as 89 inside the house. We are ok with this (since mostly we are not home or we are in the basement where it is much cooler) but I am concerned that this may cause problems.

Could this cause mold, or any other issues for the house? I do not have a humidifer upstairs only in the basement.

I am just worried that by not running the air except at night I will cause some future problems.

I live in Georgia so it is hot and humid.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 02:46 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,209,658 times
The theory is that if you allow the house to get that warm, then your A/C is going to have to run longer in order to cool everything, furniture, drapes, etc. so that the air can be kept at a good temp.
I put ours on about 77-78 when we are going to be gone. This is enough to keep the humidity down. I don't want the usual mold and mildew that you get when the air is so full of moisture.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:25 PM

54 posts, read 430,624 times
Being in Georgia, I would watch the humidity level. Optimal Humidity should be at 50%. Anything above that allows all things to suck up water, especially your doors. If you have hollow core doors, things may not be so bad but if you have raised panel doors, watch out, especially if they are stained doors v/ being painted. A fully painted home will deal with humidity much better than stained wood. 89 degrees is quite high so I would watch out for allowing the temps getting so high. Also, by maintaining humidity within your home below 50%, dust-mites and mold will have a difficult time reproducing or developing. Dampness comes in hot and cold weather -use a humidity gauge to monitor the humidity at all times. Act accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House