Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:45 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times

Advertisements

My MIL had excessive power and water usage. After more than a year of looking for answers we finally found a small leak in the base of the hot water heater (2 years old). As soon as we fixed the leak both her water & power usage dropped dramatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 04:33 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
1) Turn off all electric appliances and lights and check the meter. It shouldn't move.
2) Start one appliance at a time and check which one effects the meter most.
3) After some checks you will be able to determine where the fault is.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:13 AM

40 posts, read 565,517 times
Before you do anything else, or spend any more money to solve this problem, I would strongly suggest you contact a home energy auditing company and have they perform a full home energy evaluation

Home energy audits are really inexpensive worth every penny because instead of looking at individual systems, they look at the home as whole.

They will usually include a blower door test to see how much air leakage your home has, and a thermal imaging test to see if there are insulation gaps in the building envelope or just overall poor R-Value insulation. They will check your ducts for leakage, as well as your attic and your foundation - the two main areas of concern when it comes to insulation and air leakage.

Truth is that no heating and cooling system will be energy efficient if the air that you are paying to cool and heat is consistently leaking out or if the temperatures from the outside are influencing indoor temperatures due to poor insulation. These conditions make any HVAC system work more than they should.

The U.S. Department of Energy states that you can save up to 30% in heating and cooling bills with proper air sealing and insulation.

Here you can find some more information on air sealing:

Air Leakage | Air Seal a Home for Energy Savings | Air Sealing Info & Service

Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM

40 posts, read 565,517 times
A couple of additional ideas that will help you save some energy:

- A programmable thermostat is a really inexpensive device that will put your furnace in "cruise control", turning it up and down automatically, according to your schedule and preferences.
- Smart power strips will turn appliances and electronics off when they are not being used.
- If your new water heater is tank based (rather than tankless) consider insulating the tank and pipes to prevent standby heat loss. Turn down the water heater thermostat as well. Basically, if you have to open the cold water so you won't be scorched when you shower, your heater is working harder than it should.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 799 times
According to an energy expert our dehumidifier (energy star and 6 yrs old) is the reason our energy bill is high. However it wasn't until the past yr or so that it has continuously increased from an average of $ 85 per month to $145 (this month). Is it because of the age of our dehumidifier? Is the newer energy stars more efficient? Thanks for any help with this.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:11 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
When I was married (ages ago), we had the same issue. It turned out that our "heat pump" was on the verge of dying.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:23 PM

863 posts, read 1,196,857 times
Have you checked your attic for hippies? They can sneak in when you're not looking and set up lava lamps, crock pots and grow rooms. A bad hippie infestation can quadruple your electric bill.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:35 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
The rate for power is very reasonable. You have to join a co-op here and there is a $36 membership fee every month. Including the membership fee, my bill has gone from an average of $80 a month to $300 a month or more (as high as 2200 KWH), but it didn't happen until several months after the water heater was replaced. I did check to see if someone had plugged into my house and can't find anything. I don't know why I haven't been recording daily meter readings, but I'll start doing that.
As soon as i read your OP I was thinkind water heater issue then i read this post. I would have your water heater checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House