Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:16 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bben View Post
townhouse was built in 2001, it faces south-east and this specific wall faces west. I am just worried that this cracking goes under the vinyl siding as well and i am not quite sure a regular home inspection will tell me what the problem is. I just wonder how common/uncommon this problem is and what the repair options are.
Hire a structural engineer as well as a qualified home inspector.

Money well spent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 06:41 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,536,088 times
Highly doubt this is a structural problem....looks like the work of a very inexperienced mason, to me. They probably did not pour a sill for the brick to stack upon, or they did not properly prep the surface prior to slapping the brick up there (usually use a metal mesh to help grab mortar at a bare minimum). If they didn't do that, I would also be concerned they did not put some sort of vapor barrier as well, so that could be another issue. Mortar/brick is very porous. If you wanted to be really anal, you would expect there to be a gap behind the brick with brick ties and weep holes to flow water out from behind the brick, but for such a short application, it might be overkill. The brick ties would have also helped keep the brick from sliding down like that.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:42 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
That "white brick" I'm quite sure is a poured concrete foundation wall. It's made with regular concrete forms and liners that produce the desired effect. See page seven of this pdf:
http://www.greenstreak.com/subpacks/...talog_0209.pdf

Now, with that being said- mortar will not "bond" to concrete. Brick and mortar have different expansion and contraction rates than the concrete- hence the crack. The brick is a decorative element, so there's no structural concern. If there's any concern at all it would be water and insect infiltration.
All it needs is some pointing up, from a visual standpoint but, the crack may return. The best course of action is a color matched 100% silicone caulk to seal the crack.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 AM

10 posts, read 58,475 times
Thanks K'ledgeBldr. Now that i know this "white brick" is actually the foundation, I have seen small very thin cracks on the foundation. Two of them seem to be at a point where 2 pieces of concrete connects (there might also some sort of metal thing around, as you can tell I am not very knowledgable). Another very think crack, it's almost like a drawing with a pencil, has this step shape that goes through some of those "white brick"s. Should this concern me?
I know I am very nervous but paying over half a mil for a townhouse as the 1st home is a little scary.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:56 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bben View Post
Thanks K'ledgeBldr. Now that i know this "white brick" is actually the foundation, I have seen small very thin cracks on the foundation. Two of them seem to be at a point where 2 pieces of concrete connects (there might also some sort of metal thing around, as you can tell I am not very knowledgable). Another very think crack, it's almost like a drawing with a pencil, has this step shape that goes through some of those "white brick"s. Should this concern me?
I know I am very nervous but paying over half a mil for a townhouse as the 1st home is a little scary.
The "two pieces of concrete" is in fact where two panels were put together. If you were to examine the entire length of the exposed wall you would probably be able to identify each panel (approx 4'). The metal could be the exposed end of a wall tie. These are used to hold the two forms (interior side and exterior side) together. Once the forms are removed the end "tabs" are broke off.

Cracks.
There are two kinds of concrete- concrete that is cracked, and concrete that will crack. Hairline cracks are generally not a concern. Cracks that can be identified as "through and through" can be cause for alarm. And or, cracks that are displacing.

Your concerns are warranted-
And I highly recommend a private inspector if you go forward with purchasing this property. I also stress that you be present with the inspector and ask any and all questions of anything that concerns you.
"The only stupid question, is the one not asked".

Old 02-19-2011, 04:04 PM

Thank you all! Well, there were other offers for the place and I lost the bid. I saw another place, and I saw this crack above the garage door that is facing north-west. What do you guys think about this?
Attached Thumbnails
A crack on the wall of the townhouse, how serious is it?-th3.jpg  

Old 02-19-2011, 08:15 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,741 times
From a picture, it looks like it's just cosmetic ... but again, none of us can be absolutely certain since we're not there in person looking at it.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:31 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,146,159 times
NOW I want to see the light blue detail above that crack; is that a balcony or something? I want to see the detail where the balcony or whatever interfaces with the brickwork. Can you post some pix of that?

Old 02-20-2011, 09:47 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Its decorative brick facing and very poorly done from the photo. The crack means nothing other than they did a bad job with the decorative brick. Probably not done by a bricklayer but more likely by the carpenters. It has no structural function and is not responding to any significant forces.

Want to see some really terrible work on brick? Notice nothing is keyed in to hold up the arch! Ouch! Done by those illegals who do the work American won't do:

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-18-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 02-20-2011, 08:35 PM

Thank you all! The detail above the crack is the 2-story long bump out. Unfortunately I don't have a detailed pic of it, have only the attached. As far as I could tell, there were no cracks or openings on where it connects to the wall. but there were some openings at the bottom of the bump out at the wood, need some caulking maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
A crack on the wall of the townhouse, how serious is it?-th4.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House