Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 10:25 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times

Advertisements

This was discussed before, but now I am even more confused: we have pet stains on carpets, hardwood floors, ect. Was looking for a machine that cleans and sanitizes. I considered the SteamVac series from Hoover, until I found out that there is no steam, not even a heating element! Isn't that confusing? I thought I can use the hose attached to the vacuum cleaner to sanitize my bathroom tiles, tub and toilet.
On the other hand, I also looked at the shark steam-mop that uses steam indeed, but doesn't vacuum after steaming... Go figure.
If you can recommend a machine or model, please include the model number, because "I use the Bissell carpet cleaner" doesn't say much. Now some are recommending "vapor" cleaning. Can I use that on carpets? As you see, I am confused.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
This for my carpets and upholstery

This for my hardwoods

Both do a fantastic job, and I bought them after tons of research. I don't know if they sell (or if I would buy) a machine that would handle carpets, upholstery AND hardwoods, since different techniques are used.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:02 AM

792 posts, read 4,488,681 times
Sorry but there's no magic machine that gets pet stains and smells out of flooring.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
the cleaning solution you use for pet stains is more important than the machine.

use an enzyme based cleaner- natures miracle is one, I happen to use oxy clean with great results- if the stain is old and on carpet- you will probably need to replace the carpet AND padding beneath it to get rid of odors completely. on a non-porous floor, simply mopping it should suffice.

there is no MACHINE that will do it for you. it takes the right cleaning solution and a lot of elbow grease.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the recommendations.
I simply don't understand why would they call those machines steam vacuums, when no steam is involved...
I also noticed the Shark Navigator steam unit. Maybe that is the solution to upholstery cleaning and bathroom sanitizing. Does anybody use one?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:50 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
This was discussed before, but now I am even more confused: we have pet stains on carpets, hardwood floors, ect. Was looking for a machine that cleans and sanitizes. I considered the SteamVac series from Hoover, until I found out that there is no steam, not even a heating element! Isn't that confusing? I thought I can use the hose attached to the vacuum cleaner to sanitize my bathroom tiles, tub and toilet.
On the other hand, I also looked at the shark steam-mop that uses steam indeed, but doesn't vacuum after steaming... Go figure.
If you can recommend a machine or model, please include the model number, because "I use the Bissell carpet cleaner" doesn't say much. Now some are recommending "vapor" cleaning. Can I use that on carpets? As you see, I am confused.
Thanks.
we just bought the shark "steam mop" at costco for $80, if that's what you are referring too. great on wood/tile floors. it has a carpet "freshening" feature, but i don't think it's truly a steamer like you're speaking of.

i know the "rug doctors" you can rent don't get very hot either. i had to have stanley steamers come in to my apartment years ago when i had bed bugs, becuase from the research i did, no consumer products truly "steam clean" - they just use hot water and some have a heating element to make it a bit hotter.

if you find anything, i want something that works well too for my area rugs!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:28 PM

I'm still trying to make order in this crazy market. Many people can confuse you more with misinformation. The worst are the manufacturers who make serious efforts to confuse the public.
One example is Hoover's SteamVac product line, which will do almost everything but steaming. Go figure...
What I found so far is:
1) For the most part, carpet cleaners do not use steam. They use wet cleaning, based on hot (?) water mixed with cleaning solution. They are not good as vacuums and their vacuuming function is limited to absorbing the wet, dirty solution left after cleaning. Some are upright, some come in canister style and few have accessories (used via a hose) for cleaning upholstery and stairs. A "state secret" is why there are no real steamers for such jobs. One (secret) reason I revealed so far, is because steam may harm some carpet types and manufacturers do not want the responsibility.
2) Steam: mostly used for cleaning linoleum, tile floors and some for hardwood floors. They use steam and most models are advertised with their steam temperature and pressure. The best models use stainless steel tanks for generating steam. As "steam mops", they don't vacuum, but use a fabric pad (can be reused after washing) for cleaning. Some steam models come in canister style with attachments used via a hose. These are useful for bathroom and kitchen desensitizing. Those machines use only the steam, there is no need to add cleaning solutions or chemicals. However, to confuse buyers, some steamers are offered with "carpet attachment". But, without brushing and vacuuming, they will only refresh your carpet, not really clean it. Shark are currently promoting a new model, both steamer and a real vacuum cleaner in one package. Don't know how effective it is.
Steam mops: like the shark models - cheap and lightweight. Their purpose is limited though.
Handheld steamers: portable models which can be carried and lifted to sanitize tiles, shelves or your car. One possible use is for steaming garments, but I have no personal experience.
Vapor cleaners: newer style cleaners, use high temperatures with very little steam. They are considered "dry" cleaners. One famous model is the Italian ladybug, which costs $1200-$2400. Other models are cheaper though. Again, no chemicals needed.
There are also unique models worth mentioning, such as Oreck Orbiter and Bissell Homecare 33A1 Pet Hair Eraser. I read great reviews for the later, but it is probably efficient for cleaning local dirty spots, not whole carpets. If anyone knows otherwise, please inform me.
Bottom line - you need a separate machine for every cleaning job. In my case - with shedding pets, children, carpets, hardwood floors, linoleum and tiles, something like 5 different machines and I'll need to build an extra room just to store them. Crazy.

Last edited by oberon_1; 02-14-2011 at 08:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House