Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 02:20 PM

480 posts, read 668,840 times

Advertisements

We bought a house last fall, and now are looking at the cedar fence. My wife and I have never owned a fence before and want to keep it maintained.

Our HOA sends out annual notices reminding us to stain our fences. I'm assuming there isn't any sealer I can put on the fence to increase the time between fence staining cycles? One a year seems like a lot.

What is the easiest way of doing it, short of hiring someone? We have a lot of fencing - full permiter. Some of it is near concrete and the house, and some is near shrubbery.

Any guesses as to what it costs to have it done professionally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 04:04 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,154,124 times
I have "an" answer though not necessarily "the" answer you're seeking.

One, I'm surprised the owner doesn't do this herself. Tenants will not do a bang-up job; why should they, it isn't theirs.

Two, inline with one, seek the least expensive option possible, in my opinion, if you must take your own time and expense to do this task.

Three, I stained a shed (300 sq ft of surface, more-or-less), built this spring, with Benjamin Moore oil-based semi-solid. Th finest rated stain I could find. That cost me about a hundred bucks in stain, more than I would have guessed. I believe my shed is Douglas Fir, and was "thirsty", so to speak. Guess that's true of many untreated woods.

Staining was (is) one option in this climate to keep structures viable, at least awhile. Will be curious how long my shed lasts: hoping for ten years or more.

Fourth, there is probably a fast way to do this, with a sprayer of some sort. I personally did the Tom Sawyer routine with a couple high-quality brushes for oil-based paints and stains. Took awhile, and it's dirty work.

Fifth, a cheaper way out is to use Home Depot "Barn Paint." I believe it comes in white and red, by the 5 gallon bucket, though one might wonder if other colors are possible with mixing. Pretty cheap stuff, designed for exactly what it says: outdoor structures painted and re-painted every few years. Might want to ask if you can use this instead.

Lastly, yes there are urethane-type sealers one can use. They are expensive. I need to treat my perimeter wood fence with something like that, probably in 2014, and will start a research project myself. Or, I will break out the Barn Paint (seriously, I just might).

Old 06-27-2013, 04:11 PM

480 posts, read 668,840 times
Quote:
One, I'm surprised the owner doesn't do this herself. Tenants will not do a bang-up job; why should they, it isn't theirs.
Uh, I'm the owner and we don't have renters.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:25 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
Uh, I'm the owner and we don't have renters.
Whups, read "HOA requires" and assumed you were renting or subletting, without reading too closely.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:33 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,082,057 times
Check whether the HOA requires a specific brand and color of paint. I know our old one did. Ata that point it's just a matter of who does the work.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Whether the fence lasts depends on the people on the other side also staining. If you stain every year and they don't your side will look great but theirs can be rotten and it will still fall. Have you considered talking to them and going in together on renting a sprayer, and helping each other?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:46 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,094,679 times
I have two answers for the two questions-

You can extend the life of a fence with a top quality sealer. The better the sealer, the longer it will last (depending on climate and exposure of course). Best stuff on the market-
TWP- period!

Do it yourself and save a bundle- sealing doesn't require Michelangelo brush stroke- just a pump up sprayer made specifically for wood sealers.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:48 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,300,756 times
I bought one similar to this a few years back and wonder why I didn't do it sooner.
Graco X5 Airless Paint Sprayer-262800 at The Home Depot

We recently moved, and our HOA requires us to paint our fence every 3 years, and provides 10 gallons of Kelly Moore oil based translucent stain. I used about 6 or 7 gallons in about 4 hours. You must cover everything you don't want overspray on. Clean airless with paint thinner and follow up with water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House