Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 01:30 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,155 times

Advertisements

So, I switched homeowners insurance for the first time since I bought my home. The premium is about 200 dollars less per year, good for me, right? That's what I thought. Someone came over to take some general pictures, which is a common practice from what I understand, fine, whatever.

Then I receive a letter saying my patio roof needs repair. I admit, the shingles on the end of the patio are old, and probably need repair and some point. The actual house roofing is fine. The thing that got me was the letter said I had one month to repair it or they would cancel service. They also said they need pictures, contractor license number, letter from the contractor stating what was done, etc. I don't know if I overreacted, but I thought this was ridiculous. Threating to cancel service if I didn't repair it in one month? I switched to save money, and they want me to do a repair that would cost more than the $200 saved initially.

Long story longer lol, I called them and explained I couldn't afford this repair right now, and they said fine because it wasn't part of the house roof. I'm glad they accepted my reasoning, but not starting off on the right foot, one week into my relationship with them. Anyone had similar experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 04:00 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
It is very common actually. Yes, they do take pictures, or are supposed to take pictures, of every property to check for things like this. They won't cover things like you roof if they find it needs repair when you take out the policy. If you have a fire or some kind of damage to that portion of your house, they won't cover it until it is fixed. If it had been part of the house itself, they wouldn't have been so cooperative because a leaky roof could cause damage to other things in the house where if it is just over a patio, nothing under it is really "ruined".

A month is also pretty typical for the repair and asking for the contractor's license, etc. is just to ensure that it was done correctly. If you read your insurance contract you are responsible for keeping your property in good repair and if you don't and they find negligence on your part by not keeping your property up, they can deny a claim.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:09 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
You can expect a patio roof exclusion to arrive shortly.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Like they will not replace the bad roofing if its damaged as stated.I imagine you have repalcement and that will not be covered under it. That is why they inspect what they are going to cover.

Last edited by texdav; 02-19-2011 at 05:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House