Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:15 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Yes it does, but you would be surprised how many times that question fixes a problem.
This is very true. I was installing a new chandelier in my dinette area, when I went to test it nothing came on. I climbed back up the ladder and tested to see if it was hot and sure enough there was no voltage.

Apparantley fuse boxes do not have the ability to turn themselves back on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 02:29 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhorton328 View Post
Hello,
So to respond to questions

1.) I went to change the outlet because it wasn't working. I assumed the outlet was not working.

2.) I have included my outlet and switch setup. As noted the switch does work correctly and activates the switched red wire when turned on.

3.) this is a standard bedroom, and ALL other outlets in the bedroom work correctly and are always hot.

4.) On further inspection, I was testing the connections of the other outlets and all wires seem to be hot as I expect. I did, however, find that for the offending outlet, I don't appear to be getting current flow when I test the black/red wire with the white wire. I understand that there should be current flowing between those. Black to ground (bare wire) give voltage. Red to ground gives voltage, Red/black to white do NOT give voltage, but appear to do so on the other outlets. Maybe that's the problem??
That sounds like a open neutral.
Got one of these?

This will tell you right away.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:40 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Hello,
So to respond to questions

1.) I went to change the outlet because it wasn't working. I assumed the outlet was not working.

2.) I have included my outlet and switch setup. As noted the switch does work correctly and activates the switched red wire when turned on.

3.) this is a standard bedroom, and ALL other outlets in the bedroom work correctly and are always hot.

4.) On further inspection, I was testing the connections of the other outlets and all wires seem to be hot as I expect. I did, however, find that for the offending outlet, I don't appear to be getting current flow when I test the black/red wire with the white wire. I understand that there should be current flowing between those. Black to ground (bare wire) give voltage. Red to ground gives voltage, Red/black to white do NOT give voltage, but appear to do so on the other outlets. Maybe that's the problem??
Sounds like you have a diagnosis...

Old 02-21-2011, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 46,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Sounds like you have a diagnosis...
Hmmm. Ok that is what I was afraid of. So where do I go from here? Tested the neutral at the outlet and at the box as well, and neutral does not seem to give voltage with the Red/Black. Any easy ways to fix this? Or am I looking at a electrician call??

Old 02-21-2011, 03:58 PM

8 posts, read 46,411 times
Quote:
Hmmm. Ok that is what I was afraid of. So where do I go from here? Tested the neutral at the outlet and at the box as well, and neutral does not seem to give voltage with the Red/Black. Any easy ways to fix this? Or am I looking at a electrician call??

Hey guys, so was looking around at the other outlets, and it turns out that the outlet directly below the switch has ALL of the connections seem to intersect there. Took that one apart and noticed that the neutral bundle wire nut was real loose. I took it off, and then put it back on, and tightened it. Now the outlet works!!!!! Just tested all the other outlets as well, and they all work.

Thanks a ton for your help guys. now I can finish that room and get a lamp in there. Awesome!!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:13 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
Great job figuring it out. That can be a frustrating situation!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Hey guys, so was looking around at the other outlets, and it turns out that the outlet directly below the switch has ALL of the connections seem to intersect there. Took that one apart and noticed that the neutral bundle wire nut was real loose. I took it off, and then put it back on, and tightened it. Now the outlet works!!!!! Just tested all the other outlets as well, and they all work.

Thanks a ton for your help guys. now I can finish that room and get a lamp in there. Awesome!!
It kinda makes your heart soar when it all comes together, doesn't it?

Old 02-22-2011, 01:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
It looks like you have an older metal outlet box. I recently had a simlar problem. The newer outlets are wider than older ones. One of the screws was close enough to the box to short out to it. I am not certain, but I think that the breaker did not trip however the outlet would not work. (maybe the breaker tripped, I just do nto rememebr, it seems like it should have, but I do not recall finding the breaker tripped, just that the outlet woudl nto work, no matter what i did).

Anyway I solver the problem by wrapping the outlet with electrical tape before re-installing it. A wild shot, but you ahve a strange problem. Simple test for this. Does the outelt work when it is not installed in the box?

Old 02-22-2011, 01:33 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Ooops. Did nto read the entire thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House