Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 AM

123 posts, read 567,856 times

Advertisements

Anybody have experience with GE monogram appliances? Are they good and reliable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
I have a GE Monogram refrigerator and gas cooktop. They were here in the house when I purchased it so they are not appliances that I chose. I do not love either of them. I had a lot of trouble with my refrigerator and GE was really useless in fixing it. I wound up replacing it at a very attractive price (less than half of what it would have been at retail). I decided to do that because I did not have any confidence in the repair guy.

My gas cooktop has not had any problems but I do not think it is that great. None of the burners get low enough for a true simmer. I had a Thermador dual fuel range in one of my old houses that had a much better performing cooktop.

If I had the choice I would purchase different high end appliances. There is no law saying that all your appliances have to be the same brand. In my last house I had a Dacor oven (loved it), Miele dishwasher (loved it) and a Kitchen Aid fridge which I also loved. In the house before that I had a Thermador dual fuel range, a Bosch dishwasher and a Whirlpool refrigerator. I didn't care for the Bosch dishwasher but the others were great. I would find the best appliance for your purposes and not tie yourself to one brand.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
I have found that any thing GE isn't worth the money.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:07 AM

448 posts, read 1,055,594 times
if your gonna spend that kind of money on ge junk look into kitchen aid i think it's a much better value than ge

Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
At this point in the consolidation of the appliance business brands do not matter all that much -- Whirlpool owns the KitchenAid brand and many others. There really is not that much difference in quality, mostly styling and such.

Some items, especially microwaves, from all firms are made by third parties for BOTH the GE family of brands AND the Whirlpool brands AS WELL AS others like Viking and SubZero/Wolf -- really just a whole lot of cosmetic differences. Reliability is a tricky thing -- the various kinds of control panels and circuit boards vary in rates of problems, but the issue of which kinds of marketers can afford to have a stockpile of replacement parts is probably as important as anything else.

GE's appliance business is financially healthier than most of the smaller specialty firms, and GE's price point, even for their "Monogram" line is closer to the mainstream spending patterns than some of the competing offerings in the "KitchenAide" and "JennAir" lines from Whirlpool...

Old 11-29-2012, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,230 times
We just got another $250 bill for repair of our horrible Monogram oven (ZET1038) - the convection element burned out. Of course, we discovered this during Thanksgiving cooking. The previous repair, two months ago, was to replace a door hinge because the door stuck out about an inch from the chassis. That cost $250.00 as well. The cooktop/oven look terrific together, but that is the end of it. I was so frustrated with the oven this Summer that I threatened to heave it and replace with a real one. Guess what - the dimensions of the combo are non-standard (even back when we bought them...little did we know). The cook top is several inches deeper than anything made today...and GE no longer makes anything that'll fit under it either! The only way we could get a replacement oven is to also buy a new cooktop, at great expense. We cannot say enough about how absurd this has become.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:42 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
We considered Monogram, but at that price point, Kitchen Aid, jemm air and Thermidor were much better values/ brand names, especially with rebates. If you re going all Monogram, check out the local stores for all of the current rebate info.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:39 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,603 times
i agree with you chett whirlpool owns kitchen aid roper and maytag. though i did love the kitchen aid when it was owned by hobart much better you could not kill it. though i never have had any problems with whirlpool. my neighbor has an LG dishwasher and it broke down 4 times and the forth time it broke LG would NOT fix it and try getting parts for one the dealer could not get parts for it eathier they thank god that they did opt in for the ins and sent it back to the ins co and got a full refund on the dishwasher in form of a pre paid debit card . and what this poster should do is go and talk with a repair man to see what brands thet service less would be a good start as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House