Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 02:20 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,714 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

I finally broke down & bought my 1st window a/c. Since it's been in the high 80's & 90's in Boston, even on the low setting, set at 86-degrees (the highest temp setting), it doesn't switch over to the fan function often. There are 2 modes, fan & a/c (low & high). Sorry, if this is common knowledge, but I've never owned an a/c before, so don't know how they differ. I'm basically an old albatross who just bites the bullet for the 12-wks/yr we can have hot/humid weather in the northeast. I must admit that I'm enjoying being minty cool, but I mainly purchased it for comfort from allergies/asthma, which seem to have flared since I moved back to Boston a few years ago.

My question is, if I use the fan function only, is it still filtering out all the pollen/nasties that are making me have allergy problems/asthma attacks or is air filtering only being done on the a/c mode? Since the unit's been running 24/7 for 2-wks now, I'm fearing a huge electric bill & if I can use the fan mode only, I'll deal with the heat/humidity that's left behind.

I guess, since I'm asking, I do have another question. I notice that there's no run-off of water in the back of the unit. I see neighbor's homes with a/c's (most older units) that drip into the street. Someone told me that some do & some don't. I can't find anything in the manual or website about this specifically, although it does mentioning angling it at a 5-degree slant. Am I to assume that slant is for run-off? Actually, I looked & there is no hole which would allow run-off. Am I okay or should I disconnect the a/c & drill a small hole underneath on the back corner of the unit?

Thank you very much!

Cool but conditioner-clueless in Boston... VV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 03:28 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
I wonder about that not having a drip hole. Did you install it yourself? Maybe the outlet was covered up when it was put in the unit. Flash a light into the unit and see if water is collecting in the bottom of the casing.

If your allergies are caused by household molds, you want to keep the moisture in the air down. I think that would mean that you need to have the condenser running as the fan alone won't do that.

As far as filtering out the pollens, etc. I would think that if the fan is running, it would be drawing air through the filter regardless of whether or not the condenser is working. I could be wrong, your unit may not work as ours did.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:51 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I wonder about that not having a drip hole. Did you install it yourself? Maybe the outlet was covered up when it was put in the unit. Flash a light into the unit and see if water is collecting in the bottom of the casing.

If your allergies are caused by household molds, you want to keep the moisture in the air down. I think that would mean that you need to have the condenser running as the fan alone won't do that.

As far as filtering out the pollens, etc. I would think that if the fan is running, it would be drawing air through the filter regardless of whether or not the condenser is working. I could be wrong, your unit may not work as ours did.

Some newer styles do not have a drip hole it uses a fan evaporator system like on or fridge. If you do not see a hole about the size of a dime in the bottom back side of your unit you make have a dripless model. Also if you do not have the humidity we have in the south it will not drip as much or any at all.

As for the fan most recycle air and pull it through the filter, window unit filters really aren't that great, you can also open a flap that pulls air in from the outside.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:12 PM

Hello Padgett -

Thank you so much for your response. Yes, put it in the window myself. I'll be moving next year, so I'm not concerned with a permanent install. No water collection in unit. I checked with flashlight as you suggested. Allergic to pollens, not molds, so perhaps I'll be okay if it is indeed filtering air no matter the mode.

Hello Davart -

Thank you for your response so much, as well. Definitely not a dime size hole, so I'm guessing this is the dripless model you mentioned. Yes, all of the eastcoast is equally humid, so we're definitely not lacking moisture here.

Re: opening a flap, this is a basic unit & no frills model. No flaps/levers to move/open. As long as the filter is taking out the pollen, that's my main concern, so I suppose from what you explained, I'll be fine.

However, I have come across a new snag today. This unit works via remote control only. The only button on the unit itself is a power button, but nothing else can be changed without the remote. The remote seems to be stuck, meaning no matter which button I push on the remote, nothing changes - temp, mode, power button. Just happened suddenly today.

I took out the flat round battery, wiped it off & it's the same. Also, unplugged it hoping to reset it, then plugged it in & it's stuck on 86-degrees on the low a/c mode, which is the system default. Did all several times over a 10-hr period & it's the same. Any ideas on how to jolt it out of it's sleeper mode?

I purchased it via mail, as I'm rather small & can't easily lift/carry/move 44-lbs. This was the lightest unit I saw online & the only one with a great review, so I had it delivered to my home. I'm mentioning this as a store return isn't possible & it's a web-only store anyway. Don't wish to return it. Just would like to fix the remote. If I can't, I'll just be happy it works on the a/c mode, despite the 86-temp & low speed.

Thank you both again, as your info was very helpful... VV

Old 07-30-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Your not going to bloody well believe this one...

I have an update. First, let me preface it by saying I don't imbibe in strange substances, rarely drink & haven't been tonight. I'm on no meds, don't take candy from strangers & haven't been experiencing alien abductions.

My a/c remote still is not working, but I just figured out how to control the a/c & jolt it from the aforementioned "stuck" mode. The remote for my DVD player, in the same room, but across the room from the a/c, controls the a/c.

When I pressed the left arrow, it turned the unit on.
When I pressed "Cancel" it changes the mode from fan to a/c.
When I pressed "Slow" it allows me to set a time for the unit to remain on or to turn off the time setting.
When I pressed the down arrow, it moved 1-digit at a time from 86 to 68, then down to 61. This is odd, as the owner's manual says the lowest setting is 68 & that's what I found in the 2-wks of using the unit. So, why now 61?
When I pressed "Stop", it turned the speed from low to high.
When I pressed "Audio" an audible beep can be heard, although I don't see anything change.

None of the keys, however, move the temp upwards.

I did this as a lark, as when watching a movie yesterday, I noticed that when pressing certain keys in order to control the DVD player, it also changed the a/c settings & I had a tough time using the a/c remote - it sometimes worked, othertimes, didn't for awhile.

Does this mean the DVD signal has interferred/blocked/locked the a/c remote?
Or has it worn down the battery in the a/c remote & I need another?
Or do you all think I've been lost to the heat, need to stay away from the windows for fear of scaring neighbors & perhaps begin a long vacation?
Is this normal & has anyone heard of this before? My VCR remote doesn't produce the same special F/X. This room also has my computer, cellphone, cordless phone, radio, floor fan, printer, scanner, fax... Is this a simple case of overkill producing conflicts?
Or should I run screaming from the house as my appliances are now working out plans for a coup d'etat?

I have to leave now. I'm fairly certain if this can happen in 1 room, the w/d, stove & fridge will soon be at loggerheads. I believe I hear the rattling beginning...

Can anyone shed some light on how to resolve the Battle of the Boston Remote Take-Over? I don't yet see dead people, but I'll post back later when my iron & espresso maker work out a time... Thank you... Baffled Babe in Boston

Old 07-30-2007, 08:56 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,889 times
Lightbulb Attacking Aliens

So how is your supply of tinfoil holding out? Do you have on one of theose tinfoil hats?

You mentioned cleaning the battery in the AC remote. Have you replaced it yet? Some of these things have batteries that are old by the time you recieve the unit and then they don't last very long. Most remotes are transmitter only devices, and I suspect yours works on the infared frequencies. Your DVD remote happens to transmit on the same channel and codes as your AC. This should not be a problem unless you push play on the DVD and the AC goes to max fan! The TV and even a wall make a great reflector (mirror) to bounce the signal back to the AC unit.

So I think you can take off the tin hat and remove the foil from the windows... They really get in through the wires anyway! ha ha.

good luck.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
So how is your supply of tinfoil holding out? Do you have on one of theose tinfoil hats?

You mentioned cleaning the battery in the AC remote. Have you replaced it yet? Some of these things have batteries that are old by the time you recieve the unit and then they don't last very long. Most remotes are transmitter only devices, and I suspect yours works on the infared frequencies. Your DVD remote happens to transmit on the same channel and codes as your AC. This should not be a problem unless you push play on the DVD and the AC goes to max fan! The TV and even a wall make a great reflector (mirror) to bounce the signal back to the AC unit.

So I think you can take off the tin hat and remove the foil from the windows... They really get in through the wires anyway! ha ha.

good luck.

Hello Arctic -

For safety's sake, I'll leave the tinfoil hat on while speaking with you, if you don't mind. Can't be too careful when one's applicances are in the plotting stage.

I didn't know a signal could compete with another of an entirely different species, if you will. 15-yrs ago, I saw a man use his car remote & it flashed the lights (& possibly unlocked the car behind his), but not only were they both cars, they were the same make/model/color.

I'll replace the battery & see if that helps. Fortunately, I'm currently using the DVD remote for the a/c, so all is well. Unfortunately, there is no button to increase the temp, so it either needs to be running constantly trying to hit 61-degrees or on the fan mode.

Thank you for your help. I wasn't aware these infareds had minds of their own. I have to go now. My laptop needs to make a call...

Fun, fun, fun... VV

Old 08-05-2007, 10:55 PM

Well its been a week and I haven't herd if you problem resolved itself, so are your still in contact with the rest of the world or is the laptop running up your phone bill trying to keep the AC from shutting off and not run up the light bill too?!

Remember they get in through the wires.......

Old 08-09-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Well its been a week and I haven't herd if you problem resolved itself, so are your still in contact with the rest of the world or is the laptop running up your phone bill trying to keep the AC from shutting off and not run up the light bill too?!

Remember they get in through the wires.......
Hey Arctic -

For awhile it was 1984, 20-yrs late in the Kitten household, but I just received the free battery via mail today & now the a/c remote is working fine. It doesn't seem to have control over any other appliances yet, but as it's brand new, it may need to mingle with the rest before staking its claim & plotting its take-over.

I haven't yet received my electric bill, but if they're in on the plot, it wouldn't surprise me. Somehow I'm sure this is all tied in with global warming, the tales of horror behind my favorite discontinued Chanel lipsticks & the reason I can never find a Baby Ruth in the convenience store. Anarchy, I tell you... anarchy!

All is well in Kittenville, thanks for asking. Have a great weekend... VV

Old 08-09-2007, 10:36 PM

Question The BABE RUTH Mystery

Hello Kitten,

I am glad to hear your AC remote is at least pretending to behave. Though the one you really need to watchout for is the DVD remote, by design they are made to control the other "entertainment" devices. Similar to LORD OF THE RINGS ""and one to control them by"

My favorite work shirts have wandered down the same path as your lipstick, hmmm.. that sounds suspicious! I wonder if the candy bar was bait or the ring leader?

Enjoy your weekend and the cool air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House