Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 05:21 AM

99 posts, read 317,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I would be willing to bet most of them are from people who did not read the contract. It very clearly states what is covered and what is not.

Over the years in my various homes I have had a hot water heater replaced, a dishwasher replaced, new duct work installed, a new air handler installed, countless visits from a plumber, and a few simple repairs to major appliances. Never once did they tell me they would not fix or replace something. Only once did I have to pay above my service call fee, and I knew I would because the contract clearly stated that I was responsible for those specific costs.
My primary complaint is the added time inserted into the process. My secondary complaint is the cost-benefit. High fixed cost, questional benefit. At $600/year in premium, plus $60 per visit, you lock yourself into their system of contractors, their processes and you risk that they will decide to not cover something that they should. You have effectively no recourse if they do. Where will you find a lawyer to sue for a couple hundred dollar repair? That guy doesn't exist.

Skip the warranty, bank the $600 and buy the appliance yourself. In 99% of the cases, I bet you're better off without the warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 08:06 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,896 times
If you're handy man or someone in the house is, you never need Home Warranty, it wastes your money and time. Or you can call a local guy to fix your problem with a lower cost.
Some house for sale with a year for home warranty because the seller already paid for that year, it's not a promotion or gift for you

Old 09-10-2011, 09:04 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
If you're handy man or someone in the house is, you never need Home Warranty, it wastes your money and time. Or you can call a local guy to fix your problem with a lower cost.
Some house for sale with a year for home warranty because the seller already paid for that year, it's not a promotion or gift for you
Home warranties can be a good deal in certain situations. In homes where the HVAC and plumbing are either past their useful life expectancy or rapidly approaching it, the home warranty can save a lot of money. Doing the math on a major system failure shows this.

A/C unit failure - total replacement needed for a 2500 sqft home. Average cost with labor (low end) $3,000, (mid-range) $5,000, (high end) $7,000

Annual Warranty cost $600.00
Service call $60.00

Savings = $2,340.00, $4,340, $6,340

Its the only time I'd recommend having one. If the major systems in the home are older, its a good deal. Newer homes where the repairs would be smaller, less expensive items. Nope - then its not a good deal. Its important to do your homework. Some companies are better than others.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Home warranties can be a good deal in certain situations. In homes where the HVAC and plumbing are either past their useful life expectancy or rapidly approaching it, the home warranty can save a lot of money. Doing the math on a major system failure shows this.

A/C unit failure - total replacement needed for a 2500 sqft home. Average cost with labor (low end) $3,000, (mid-range) $5,000, (high end) $7,000

Annual Warranty cost $600.00
Service call $60.00

Savings = $2,340.00, $4,340, $6,340

Its the only time I'd recommend having one. If the major systems in the home are older, its a good deal. Newer homes where the repairs would be smaller, less expensive items. Nope - then its not a good deal. Its important to do your homework. Some companies are better than others.
When I read the above posts, most home warranty company refuse to fix the problem, they always have an excuse for not doing the job with the high cost involve or try to blame to the owner ... blablabla ...

Maybe there's still are some reliable and trust companies do the good and decent jobs but so far, I saw more complaints than compliments.

People said: With some services like home warranty, home insurance, car insurance etc ... you don't know how quick they response and how good they act until you have a claim, is that true?

Old 09-10-2011, 01:21 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
When I read the above posts, most home warranty company refuse to fix the problem, they always have an excuse for not doing the job with the high cost involve or try to blame to the owner ... blablabla ...

Maybe there's still are some reliable and trust companies do the good and decent jobs but so far, I saw more complaints than compliments.

People said: With some services like home warranty, home insurance, car insurance etc ... you don't know how quick they response and how good they act until you have a claim, is that true?
Unfortunately, all insurance type companies will kick scream and do anything they can to NOT pay on big dollar items. Thats how they make money. The work they do is only as good as the contractors they use to complete it. If you are dealing with a home warranty, here are a couple of tips for you.

Do your homework. The internet is a wonderful tool. You can type in "Furnace won't come on" and it will give you 20 things you can check BEFORE calling for service. That narrows it down quite a bit.

Check on the contractor they assign to your claim. When you call for covered service, they will assign a contractor and will give you a time frame that they are suppose to call you. Once you know the name, check on the company and see if they are licensed to do the work and if they have a clean record for complaints (BBB and Angie's List are great for this). If either is not true, call the warranty company back, complain and request a different contractor. You have the right to have a qualified contractor assigned to do the work.

If the Warranty Company says something is not covered, have them tell you where in your policy that is stated. Actually look it up and argue the point if it is not clearly stated.

Ask for a second opinion on the work if you question the diagnosis by the contractor. It will only cost you the additional service charge to have someone else look at it.

Finally never EVER say to a contractor that you tried to fix it yourself. That voids the warranty.

If you know how they play the game, you can make it work to your advantage and save a lot of money!

Old 09-10-2011, 08:04 PM

Thanks a lot Cat, I never deal with Home Warranty before, but your advice is very clever and helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House