Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 08:00 PM

842 posts, read 2,588,222 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of an easiest way to remove "thinset" without using a cold chisel? I have to remove and redo a few ceramic tiles in my kitchen but can not deal with using the cold chisel for a number reasons besides the fact that it a real pain .. literally.

I have been looking at the Rockwell Shop ROCKWELL 72-Piece 2.3-Amp Oscillating Tool Kit at wes.com but vs. the Dremel Shop Dremel 1.5-Amp Multi-Max Oscillating Kit at Lowes.com but am not sure either can effectively handle masonry tasks such as thinset removal without breaking my back or burning our the motor.

I am hoping that I can get some valuable ideas from some of my "do it yourself" members or contractors that have experienced working with a tool that can handle this type of task. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 09:31 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
You could try the oscillating tool from harbor freight.....I bought one there for less then 30 bucks...still going strong. For that price it is worth the try, and if it did go bad they would replace it....

I usually believe in quality tools, but some tools you just do not use enough to buy top of the line. This is the case that you could try it cheap, and if it worked, great, if not, return it.

Frank

Old 04-29-2011, 10:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
What about renting something of high quality for this one time job?

Old 04-30-2011, 12:03 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
An oscillating tool would take care of the grout, no problems, but the mortar ... perhaps not.

Is this floor or counter tile? If it's floor, then you're definitely better off with a rotary hammer instead.

3-in-1 1" SDS Rotary Hammer
2 Piece SDS Masonry Flat Chisel Set

As for why purchasing instead of renting ... if you ever need it again, you have it. HF tools aren't the greatest, but more and more of them are decent enough to get the job done these days. If renting a tool for a weekend costs MORE than buying, why rent?

Old 04-30-2011, 12:44 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
I used a palm grip sander with some very course sandpaper to get it down to the concrete. I used an air chisel for the tile and grout with a bit like Narf' showed. It is backbreaking labor, and will send dust everywhere. I would cover up electronic stuff.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What about renting something of high quality for this one time job?
.. because the person that did my tile work did a lousy job and I have to be constantly repairing a few here and there. They either put too much thinset on or waited until it was a bit too dried before placing it in the thinset ... yeah I know ... I got a raw deal.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
An oscillating tool would take care of the grout, no problems, but the mortar ... perhaps not.

Is this floor or counter tile? If it's floor, then you're definitely better off with a rotary hammer instead.

3-in-1 1" SDS Rotary Hammer
2 Piece SDS Masonry Flat Chisel Set

As for why purchasing instead of renting ... if you ever need it again, you have it. HF tools aren't the greatest, but more and more of them are decent enough to get the job done these days. If renting a tool for a weekend costs MORE than buying, why rent?
It is for floor tiles. Also, the rotary hammer that you are referring to seems to have a drill bit on it; is there another accessory for the mortar? I have no problems removing the grout and getting the tiles up .. it is the mortar that is the issue

Old 04-30-2011, 04:46 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,038 times
How about trying a belt sander?

Old 04-30-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
How about trying a belt sander?
For mortar? That would also be a lot of dust for a few tiles.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:16 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
I just picked up the Dremel multi master myself, nice tool when you need it. Used it to make compound 45 on a piece of crown molding that was already nailed up using another piece of molding as a guide. I don't think there is another tool on the planet I could have done it with. Saved me the effort of taking the whole piece down which was very problematic to get right on the other end. It's one of those tools you might not use that often but when you need it there is no replacement.

In any event I'd suggest it would be suitable for removing a small amount of material. If the only choice is abbrasive tool and it's a lot I'd look at bigger tool like grinder. One of the reasons I say that is the attachments for the Dremel and the others I've looked at very expensive. The other reason is you're gong to be there for a while....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House