Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 01:56 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to replace the original windows in my c.1928 house this fall. What qualities/features should I look for, especially in how the window is constructed? What questions should I ask of the company reps?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 06:26 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I got vinyl windows this past winter. You want to be sure you get a good DP rating. Mine are double glass and have a dp rating of 50. They tilt out for easy cleaning. I love the fact they don't sweat during the winter like the old metal windows did even with storm windows installed.
I did see lower electric bills too.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:15 AM

178 posts, read 1,227,278 times
I suggest you first determine if it's necessary to replace the entire window. If the framing (the lumber inside the wall) is still sound you might consider replacing the windows with inserts. If you're not comfortable with doing the work yourself, hire a contractor. Either way it will cost less than replacing the entire window and won't be nearly the headache.

To get a better idea of what I'm referring to, go to this website....
A.W. Hastings Products

and at the bottom of the page you'll see the link...

Marvin's Clad Ultimate Double Hung Insert Window is featured in an article about replacement windows in the April 2007 Journal of Light Construction!

Old 08-06-2007, 11:48 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Vynal windows work well here in Alaska, especially the tripple pane ones. The center pain is actually a film that acts like a heat mirror. You loose most of your R values through your windows, so to keep energy costs low as possible buy the best ones available. We also use double pane windows here too an consider them the minimum. Keep in mind the architectual astetics of the home and good luck.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:31 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Consider ease of cleaning and how long the company has been in business. I replaced my windows about 6 years ago. The company has since gone out of business. So much for a lifetime warranty. Also, try to replace them in the off season. If such a season exists where you are. You'll save a lot of money that way. Be sure to ask if the installer will bring the windows to your home on installation day or if they'll be delivered before hand. Mine were delivered to the wrong address the day before install. The installer came to my house ready to install the windows and asked me where they were. He eventually found them one street over. Had I known to watch for them, I could've called the company and asked where they were.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:00 AM

25 posts, read 75,961 times
If you are trying to stay somewhat historical with the home, you should probably look for a wooden replacement window. Anderson Renewal and Pella have wooden options.

If you are ok with vinyl or aluminum, here's a tutorial http://hubpages.com/hub/vinyl-replacement-windows that can help you how to choose between the different options and companies.

I'd get several bids because this is a highly competitive industry. You can get multiple free price quotes at Installation of Vinyl Replacement Windows | Nationwide Installers

The wooden replacement windows will be more expensive than vinyl or aluminum frames but might fit better with the history of your home.

I believe that Anderson Renewal and Pella have their own authorized installers but should be able to give you a free price quote.

Last edited by PatMcMknra; 03-15-2009 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-15-2009, 01:53 PM

165 posts, read 812,111 times
Are you sure they can't be restored? I think it is worth checking out before you replace the original, beautiful windows. Since you have an old home, I would only work with window companies that respect the look of old windows. It may be more expensive to use wood replacement windows, but if you like the look of your old home, you may be happier. You can find suppliers on Home Remodeling, Repair and Improvement - Products, Ideas and How-To Tips There is also information on This Old House Windows | How-to | This Old House

Here is a preservation brief on historic metal windows as well. Preservation Brief 13: The Repair and Thermal Upgrading of Historic Steel Windows

Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Pat and Viva the thread you are replying to is ancient. The OP probably lives in another home by now. Or had it foreclosed on like so many many others.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:00 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
^^^I beg your pardon ...

Old 03-16-2009, 07:05 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Pat and Viva the thread you are replying to is ancient. The OP probably lives in another home by now. Or had it foreclosed on like so many many others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
^^^I beg your pardon ...
Kinda thought we were jumping to confusions myself....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House