Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 05:38 AM

102 posts, read 298,979 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are looking to buy a sofa and recliner from Value City Furniture.I have been seeing a lot of bad reviews online about the customer service and the quality of the furniture and it has been bothering me a lot.

Does anyone have any personal experience with the store and the furniture bought there.

Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 08:39 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Never heard of the store, but....if the reviews are bad and you have a bad feeling about it, then don;t do it. Why add fuel to the fire?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
I remember them from when I was near Baltimore.
it's a low end schlock retailer.

I'd be leery buying anything like the upholstered furniture they will have.
Plain vanilla flat pack in a box "furniture"? OK. But not a sofa.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:23 AM

292 posts, read 1,243,919 times
My sister bought two sofas from them probably close to 15 years ago. They're still very solid and are well-made, but that was quite a while ago, so I can't vouch for anything recent. However, American Signature Furniture appears to be the same company as VC in other parts of the country. We went there to look at sofas, and while they were nice, they just didn't have the both color and style I wanted, but some of their sofas seemed pretty solid. Instead I ended up going to Macy's, paying twice as much, and selling the damned thing on Craigslist cheap three years later because it sagged and wrinkled so badly. I did buy wooden tables and an entertainment center from AS and was very happy with them. In fact, I'm regretting not keeping them when we moved last year because we may move into a bigger space now where they would fit nicely. Grrr.

Make sure you give it a good look over. Some of the sofas at AS were sturdy; others were attractive but not manufactured for the long run.

Last edited by OrangeCoriander; 06-03-2011 at 10:44 AM..

Old 06-03-2011, 01:59 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhivya View Post
Hi,

We are looking to buy a sofa and recliner from Value City Furniture.I have been seeing a lot of bad reviews online about the customer service and the quality of the furniture and it has been bothering me a lot.

Does anyone have any personal experience with the store and the furniture bought there.

Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks
It is crap and very poor customer service. I kind of knew that going in but we relocated out of state and needed to replace what we sold. I find the styles of VCF pretty nice but the it ends there, the quality doesn't match the design. My pieces are from the American Signature line. Here is my experience.

Went in and found what I wanted. The salesperson told me that the sofa was on backorder but the chairs were in stock. She said the sofa would come in within a week because a store in NC had one in stock and they would just send it up to where we were. I said fine and took delivery of the chairs a few days later. A week goes by and I call the store. They told me the sofa I was going to get was sold and now I would have to wait until the manufacturer sent it to the store which would be about 6 weeks. I was not happy.

6 weeks go by and no call so I called them again. At first the person I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about. This concerned me greatly and asked to speak to the manager. I was on hold forever. The manager gets on the line and tells me that I would indeed get the sofa, he would look into it. The next day I get a call that my sofa is in. Interesting. The manager offered me free delivery for my trouble. So when I set up the delivery they had no idea what I was talking about. I would be charged 90 dollars for delivery. Pissed again, I talked to the manager. He wasn't sure he promised me free delivery. I told him to forget it and my husband was on his way to pick it up. He brings it home and upon my inspection the sofa clearly had been a floor sample somewhere. It was not wrapped like the chairs had been. The legs are expresso and there were a few dings.

I called to complain and the manager apologized and said that he would send a service person out to look at the sofa. I asked him, you mean send a guy out with a furniture marker? Please, I can do that myself. He gave me a store credit of a 100 bucks for my trouble. Big whoop. Like I want anymore crap from them. What kills me is when I was in the store and the salesperson told me the sofa was out of stock, I asked if I could buy the floor sample at a discount. She said no. Personally I think that is what I ended up with. A month later I went in the store to use my "store credit" I noticed they no longer have the set I bought. Having a retail background I know exactly what happened. They simply forgot about me. When I called to remind them I was still waiting, they had an "Ut Oh" moment because they no longer carried the sofa and scrambled to get one from somewhere else. A floor sample.

I get tons of compliments on the furniture. It has a vintage/modern design. People ask me all the time where I got it because they want one. I don't bother telling them its actually crap. The quality is horrible. I can feel the wood through the arms of the chairs and I am positive if we sat on it everyday, the wood would have poked through the fabric by now. The pieces are in our formal living room that only gets used on occasion.

I suggest looking at Macy's. They are not as expensive as people think. I bought a sofa and chair from them 5 yrs ago. I still have those pieces and they have lasted and still look great. If 1100-1400 for a sofa and chair is too steep for your budget, I would buy an IKEA sofa before another VCF sofa. We got an IKEA sofa for our basement and I swear its better quality than our VCF stuff. I hope this helps.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:10 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhivya View Post

I bought their Skyline platform bed and dresser. The pair cost me $800 (furniture, taxes, and delivery fee), and I'm really happy overall with my purchase. A few negatives that came up:

1) In the store, the bed was set up like a platform bed (mattress only) and had the necessary slat system. However, when the bed was delivered, it was set up with only 4 slats -- inadquate to support a mattress without a box-springs. I returned to the store, showed my salesperson the bed on the floor and pictures of my bed as it was initiatlly set up. The salesperson told me I needed a "bunky-board" (sp?). Cost was $70, but I spoke with the store manager and they gave me the bunky-board for free and delivered it at no additional charge.

2) The bed is very stable and sturdy. Not sqeakly or flimsy. However, while the surfaces of the dresser and the bed's siderails and footboard are all silky smooth, the front surface of the headboard is rough. My guess would be that during the construction process, the poly was applied over some dust. I cannot SEE this. It's just something I can feel when I run my hand over it (which is never...unless I do so intentionally). For me, this was not worth a send-back.

3) I had asked them to NOT install the drawer pulls on the dresser because I wanted to switch them out, and I didn't want to risk any marks on the front where the drawer pulls were tightened down, etc. However, the dresser came with the pulls installed.

4) I went with this particular set in part because I liked the way the drawers felt sliding in and out. One of the drawers rubs ever-so-slightly as it closes. Very slight.

Again, for me this was a great purchase and I was (and still am) very happy with the furniture and the transaction with the store.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:49 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I looked a while ago there for couches (still have not purchased) and I thought they had plenty of good items. The one I looked at was in NJ and they may vary from locaton to location, but this one had plenty of name brands such as broyhill that I remember.
I think that bedroom set looks great and I have learned that even with the prestigey names there really isnt a guarantee of quality. For upholstery, I am inclined to not spend much as it just doesnt seem to wear great no matter the $$. For wood furniture like a bedroom set, how much abuse does it get anyway? That bedroom looks great and I am sure unless you jump on it it will last as long as henredon. so to speak
so to summarize, I would not rule out Value city.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:58 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,434 times
I bought a loveseat that was discontinued at the back of the store (best deals to be had there). It's very nice and comfortable.

The sofa table and coffee table I bought are beautiful, but that pressed laminate stuff chips easily. I bought one of those furniture markers to color in any chips--I made the mistake of buying a coffee table with the glass insert in the center and chipped the wood when I tried to take it out for cleaning.

THe customer service was fine, as was delivery in my area.

I would never buy a bed at a furniture store. I bought a frame and boxspring at a bed store, bought my mattress at Walmart.com (best mattress I've ever had-very comfortable and firm). I bought my headboard online at Amazon. Much cheaper this way and I know the quality.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 13,223 times
JustJulia-

It is my opinion that it was wrong for you to delete my post. I was honest and forthright, stating that I work for Value City Furniture. Seeing that there are posts on here speaking against Value City Furniture, we had every right to present our side of the story and defend our organization. AND offer people a way to contact us with any concerns they may have. vcf.facebookfans@vcf.com. To reiterate what I said before, Value City Furniture works hard for their customers - and offers them the guaranteed best prices. We want our customers to have a great shopping experience. And that's a fact.

If you choose to remove this post, I will be notifying our legal team that you refuse to present the other side of the story- and are just bent on allowing people to rant on your board without offering them solutions to the situation.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I'm torn between amusement at Value City's lack of understanding about just what the first ammendment means in respect to a privately owned message board, and hoping that City-Data keeps the post up so that future posters can see the character of the kind of people who run Value City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House