Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL! Clever idea.

It is obvious what it is. Unless you have a kooldeck, the pavers around the edge of a pool can get so hot in the sun that walking on them is painful. Whoever did this decided to tap that heat to cool the concrete and heat the pool. He probably got the idea from those hydronic floor heating systems and figured it would work in reverse. As to whether or not it would work well depends on the interface between the concrete and the water in the piping. Heat rises, and concrete is only a so-so conductor of heat so I'm not sure it would be tremendously effective. However, burnt feet are a strong motivator.

Best answer so far.

That is not likely to be sprinkler. PEX is rarely to never used for sprinklers. PEx is expensive and the flexibility and curvyness woudl be a detriment rather than a benefit for a sprinkler system. It would have to switch back to PVC to connect to heads. That manifold is either for heating or cooling something. Since it is red, that is supposed to mean hot water (blue pex used for cool water). There is no law saying that you cannot switch colors, but odd are good that this manifold carries heated pool water to warm something. Could be the deck, the sides or bottom of the pool. It could be a deck cooling system, but technically,they should have used blue, but red pex could be what they had left over, or what Home Depot had in stock that day. I wish that we had done that. When we heat up the pool in the winter, your feet can freeze to the concrete when you get out if you do not move quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 08:48 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,639,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Best answer so far.

That is not likely to be sprinkler. PEX is rarely to never used for sprinklers. PEx is expensive and the flexibility and curvyness woudl be a detriment rather than a benefit for a sprinkler system. It would have to switch back to PVC to connect to heads. That manifold is either for heating or cooling something. Since it is red, that is supposed to mean hot water (blue pex used for cool water). There is no law saying that you cannot switch colors, but odd are good that this manifold carries heated pool water to warm something. Could be the deck, the sides or bottom of the pool. It could be a deck cooling system, but technically,they should have used blue, but red pex could be what they had left over, or what Home Depot had in stock that day. I wish that we had done that. When we heat up the pool in the winter, your feet can freeze to the concrete when you get out if you do not move quickly.

Thanks for all the help, now comes the question.
how can I verify this? what test can I do?

I would bet credits to navy beans (old star trek quote) this is whats causing my leak

Jonathan

Old 06-05-2011, 09:03 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
We charge for information like that.

You have hired some clueless people to fix your problem. Fire them. Get someone who is competent. If you have to instruct them what a system like this is, and how to find a leak, from info that we provide, you have it back aswards. THEY are supposed to be working for you. If you have to instruct them how to do their job, you can be sure it won't be a professional fix.

Yeesh.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:49 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
The pipe comes from somewhere. Have you found the source?

YOu might cut into the feed to the manifold put in a tee. Turn on the pool pump and see if it pressurizes. If not connect a hose to it. Pressurize it and see what happens. Air would work too. Turn it on slowly so you dont cause great damage if something pops. Throw in little food coloring if you think it might be draining into the pool.

I am very skeptical of a deck cooler heater as it would virtually certainly not work and there is a much simpler solution in Kooldeck which limits thermal transfer to the feet.

You might also consider taking the pictures and question to the pool school...

Pool School • Trouble Free Pool

The are often good at this sort of question...

Old 06-05-2011, 12:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I'd recommend that you spread a lot of PVC solvent around the visible joints. It won't do anything for the leak but if you use enough of it you won't care anymore.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:20 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
"I am very skeptical of a deck cooler heater as it would virtually certainly not work and there is a much simpler solution in Kooldeck which limits thermal transfer to the feet. "

I briefly checked into getting Kooldeck and was told the type I had was no longer being made. Environmental boondoggle or some such was the story given. I decided to live with the crack in ours.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:53 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,639,977 times
I did post to TFP and the opinion is;
Quote:
is that the pool has a solar deck heater, where all the small hoses run through the concrete of the deck and gather heat from the deck to heat the pool water.
which makes sense, why I have a leak, and who no one was able to find it.

so now comes the way to DISABLE it. or fix the link (which may be WAY more expensive then I care to want to pay for a passive pool heater, that doesn't really do anything)

Jonathan

Old 06-06-2011, 12:55 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I did post to TFP and the opinion is;

which makes sense, why I have a leak, and who no one was able to find it.

so now comes the way to DISABLE it. or fix the link (which may be WAY more expensive then I care to want to pay for a passive pool heater, that doesn't really do anything)

Jonathan
Cut it off at some convenient spot leading to the manifold. Pick a spot where you can easily repair it if it turns out in the end you need to. Turn on the pool. If water come out the inlet pipe then cap that. If it come out of the manifold assembly you did the wrong end and go cut the other one.

When you think you got it leak test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House