Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 04:54 PM

8 posts, read 62,479 times

Advertisements

Howdy All,

Just found this site this morning, lots of good info, you'll be reading a lot from me over the next year....

My brother and I live in San Diego, and we were planning on buying a fixer upper in the next couple of months. In our searches we came across an empty lot in a neighborhood we are interested in. Our dad is a general contractor and we grew up working construction as a side job. We are thinkning of building a new house rather than buying an existing P.O.S... My question to everyone is how much does it cost to build a new home if you do the work yourself? Any pointers or thoughts would be a huge help.....Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 07:36 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,950,836 times
I'm sorry that I can't help you directly with the sq ft building price in San Diego. I can say that the construction will vary by region in the county. Codes are different, labor costs are different, and some material costs are different. That's what I've found.

In the meantime, whatever you decide you're going to spend, I'll almost guarantee you'll spend more. Something is going to happen like, code inspections will require something you didn't expect, some bird will need protection so you lumber price will go up, copper pipe prices will skyrocket because of worldwide demand, or you decide that granite looks better than laminate. Something will happen both in and out of your control.

That's been my experience so, whatever you choose to do, add 10%-20% to the total after you've totaled everything. I will bet that your end cost will be closer to the high end than the lower end.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:03 PM

743 posts, read 3,904,563 times
If you do it yourself, you'll at least be able to cut down on the wasted materials... I saw a statistic that showed that 40% of material is wasted in new home construction... imagine if you cut that down to only 10% waste, that would be a big savings right there.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:34 PM

thanks for the info guys...bump bump....anyone else have any ballpark figures? i know a guy who is having a contractor build a house from the ground up in Tahoe for 160/sqft. any idea what a percent a contractor mark up would be?

Old 07-26-2007, 04:42 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,291,845 times
housing construction has many variables,, thats why its such a range (60-130 per squ ft) is what i hear today..if i had to narrow down a median,,it'd be 110-120
but all depends, on amenities and what you are building.

what does a contractor make?? im sure this varies on region, experience, etc,
the figure i hear most is around ten percent

Old 07-26-2007, 04:56 PM

739 posts, read 832,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
If you do it yourself, you'll at least be able to cut down on the wasted materials... I saw a statistic that showed that 40% of material is wasted in new home construction... imagine if you cut that down to only 10% waste, that would be a big savings right there.
Good idea, but. An experienced subcontractor is less likely to waste materials than a novice do-it-yourselfer. As OP said, it all depends. You can build extra cheap for $60 psf but what I am used to runs between $150 and $400 psf.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:13 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,163,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
In the meantime, whatever you decide you're going to spend, I'll almost guarantee you'll spend more. Something is going to happen like, code inspections will require something you didn't expect, some bird will need protection so you lumber price will go up, copper pipe prices will skyrocket because of worldwide demand, or you decide that granite looks better than laminate. Something will happen both in and out of your control.
Garth, did you say use granite? I read an article written by someone that said granite emits radon gas and can be harmful inside a home. This guy was serious but he's not going to stop me from using granite counter tops...no possible way!

Old 07-26-2007, 06:53 PM

3,322 posts, read 9,203,623 times
Quote:
I read an article written by someone that said granite emits radon gas and can be harmful inside a home. This guy was serious but he's not going to stop me from using granite counter tops...no possible way!
GRANITEstock.com Granite Slabs, Countertops and Granite Installers, Suppliers (http://www.granitestock.com/news/granite_radiation_danger_myth.php - broken link)

Liz

Old 07-28-2007, 12:40 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,428,086 times
dont just look at the material cost. you need to figure out the design cost as well. I would contact a reputable Designer / Architect in your area and see what they say for cost. about what size are you looking at for the home?

we have done some plans for as little as 10,000, and as high as 180,000 for just the design and engineering, of course the 180,000 plans were for a 25,000 sqft. home with some very specific design needs.

but figure in the cost of design too. and permits / approvals as well.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 PM

thanks all....I'll probaly assume around 100/sqft...hope it all works out in the end
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House