Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,194 times

Advertisements

I have an older house that needs updating. Due to having to remodel baths and kitchen and the condition of the copper pipping we wanted to check oot the feelings about using CPVC.
Thanks for you input

Last edited by Bo; 06-30-2011 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 02:08 PM

767 posts, read 2,292,018 times
I replumbed my old house with CPVC. I have had two new houses since. Both were plumbed with CPVC. As far as I am concerned. its the best. However, check your city codes, some places don't allow it.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:09 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
The main choices for residential are copper, CPVC, or PEX.
Professionally, I prefer copper. But it is expensive, somewhat labor intensive, and like gold to theives who steal it no sooner than you can get an inspection.
CPVC is cheap compared to copper. But it requires the same amount of labor. But, there are less tools involved and it can be done a bit faster.
PEX is a different beast all together- But I think it will be the "new standard". The benefits of Pex far out-weigh any gains from CPVC- especially because of the number of connections (escentually, for every "outlet" there are only two connections). Plumbers balk at PEX because of the tools that are needed to install- it's a onetime cost, really.

Consider all avenues before pulling the trigger.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:33 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
I decided I'm going to use PEX next time I re-pipe a house.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:45 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Another vote for PEX. It probably isn't going to save money over CPVC, as the drop in labor cost will be made up for by a bit more expense in materials, but if properly installed with a manifold system you'll eliminate the drop in pressure that you see in some conventionally plumbed houses. Another note is that there is less risk of joint failure, since as K'Ledge pointed out, there are only 2 connections per outlet; one at the manifold, one at the fixture.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:26 PM

235 posts, read 1,578,428 times
I would avoid copper.. These shots are from a home that was brand new in 1999, major slab leaks began occurring in 2008 and the home was re-piped with CPVC.

Actually a lot of homes we repipe the copper looks like this and it is not do to flux. Have a full report from Mueller Tubing on the causes. Sulfur is one of the factors in the county water.

On what pipe to use, we have installed CPVC in homes since 1996 ( over 2300 homes) and have yet to have any issues with the exception of a nail or screw from the drywall/trim carpenters. Between 1990 and 2001 CPVC did have a exterior coating issue that has been corrected. The pipe would discolor to a deep tan color and the exterior of the pipe would become brittle but the interior would be fine.(If you need to cut just use a hacksaw blade, not the cpvc cutters to avoid splitting). I have also done the pex maniblock systems with no issues. Although the pex tubing has never been an issue, the brass fittings have been in certain areas.

http://www.asktherochesterhomeinspec...ction-lawsuit/
Uponor Class Action Informational Website

For me I would go with the CPVC.. installed properly and strapped with the Oatey supension pipe clamps, you will get many problem free years..

Old 07-03-2011, 10:26 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
All plumbing systems have the potential for problems. CPVC and PEX are materials that I see the least amount of problems with while inspecting.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:54 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Wow, must be some crazy combination of bad water and rough construction site down in FL, I have seen copper pipe from pre-WWI times in Chicago that looked like new!

Sorta weird how you can find some nutty lawyer to head up a class action suit for darned near everything these day.

With all the people that were ramping up for a rebirth in 'green' nuclear reactors until the Japanese tsunami disaster I figure I'll be able to get my next house all plumbed with custom welded titanium tubing for pennies... First in specialty welded titanium tubing, a titanium partner. (http://www.timet.com/joint.html - broken link)

Old 07-03-2011, 11:12 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
Almost 100 year old house here, 1 year ago, replumbed using cpvc with no problems to report and easy enough to run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House