Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:24 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times

Advertisements

I have a Craftsman garden tractor and like most newer riding mowers/tractors, the seat has an engine kill safety feature when you rise off the seat. My questions is, how do you change the wiring to stop the engine from dying when I get up and off the mower? I know it's there for safety, but I have no steep grades, hills, whatever. I just know it's a pain in the butt when I am out picking up brush. I have to drive the mower, kill the engine, pick up a few branches, start it back up and go again. Pain in the a--!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 04:52 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Every one of those safety devices was put on there after someone was killed doing dumb things.
They are a Pain but so is planning a funeral.
I was in charge of a City Parks dept and we had tractors of all sizes. No one like the safety switches but if they were by-passed and someone got hurt the government would swoop down on you and what's left of your butt would be in very serious trouble.
Hire the neighbor kid to pick up twigs so you can mow........

Old 07-23-2011, 04:56 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Pick up the branches BEFORE mowing. You will have to do it anyway, and it gives an excuse to check out potential problems. The auto-kill switches are for when someone else uses your mower and falls off.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:59 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
MIne has a plug connector under the seat. I have to unplug it whenever I have to use jumper cables. You can disable it if you want to, but it is a pretty important safety feature.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I have a Craftsman garden tractor and like most newer riding mowers/tractors, the seat has an engine kill safety feature when you rise off the seat. My questions is, how do you change the wiring to stop the engine from dying when I get up and off the mower? I know it's there for safety, but I have no steep grades, hills, whatever. I just know it's a pain in the butt when I am out picking up brush. I have to drive the mower, kill the engine, pick up a few branches, start it back up and go again. Pain in the a--!
Find the switch at the seat and jump it. I have done this becasue the switches often go bad easily.Like the no blade clutch hand mowwers its just a cheap way on cheaper models to do the safety required .

Old 07-25-2011, 01:46 AM

140 posts, read 298,881 times
What is more of a hassle; stopping to pick up branches or living without a hand,arm, or your family living without you?

Old 07-25-2011, 02:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Every one of those safety devices was put on there after someone was killed doing dumb things.
Exactly, the solution is to not do dumb things. Safety devices to protect nitwits that hobble the operation of the machinery I purchase is one of my pet peeves.

There is nothing wrong with this device if for example you're in an area that is dangerous and it had an on/off switch. The problem becomes is that it is always on. Besides it being a PITA on flat ground the next thing you know is your at the tractor store buying a new starter....

Old 07-25-2011, 01:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I hate those things. I am perfectly capable of getting on and off a running mower without injury. Many of the safety devices are for children or complete idiots. Our old mower did not charge the battery properly and if you forgot and stood up, it stalled and you had to push it back to the driveway to jump start it. Our new one will keep running if you disengage the mower and set the parking brake, so it is a little better. My son is too light and it will not run with him on it, or when it wil run, it shuts off every time he hits a bump. Our solution to all of these problems is that we put a big rock on the seat. It is not very compfrtable, but who said a tractor has to be comfortable.

Even if you pick up brush before you mow, you will still encounter things that you missed that you need to move. A rock, a toy, a hose or cord hidden in the grass, a stick, bird or rabbit nest. There is always something that you overlook.

I get really few up with companies and government trying mandate their concepts of what is necessary to make me "safe". I am capable of weighing risks and making my own decisions. I should be able to remove/turn off inconvenient safety overkill features if I choose.

Another good example is chain saws. The "homeowner" chains (prevent kick back) are completely worthless and barely cut at all. You can buy a commercial style chain and spend five minutes discuss kickback and how to deal with it from the dealer. However when you buy the saw, it almost always comes with a worthless homeowner change.

Everything is like that. It is ridiculous and frustrating. I once bough a two step (18" wooden step ladder. It had a huge sticker on it: "Not to be used to support motor vehicles"

I am sorry but if someone is so dumb that they try to use a wooden step ladder as a jack stand, don't we want them dead? They are going to end up hurting someone else eventually. Beside, if you are that supid, then you probably cannot read the sticker anyway.

Likewise, if someone is too dumb to get off of and back on a running lawnmower without injury, aren't we better off if they cut something off and take themselves out of the gene pool?

Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
Exactly what is posted above. I have been cutting grass since I was 7 or 8 y/o. I know how to operate riding mowers/tractors. I don't misuse them, horse around, etc. The engine kill feature is on there for one reason and it's not safety. It's money. The manufacturers don't want to be sued. And I should have been more clear. I have six acres of land that is basically flat and EVERY tree in the lot is a pine. Come fall and spring, I have tons of yard work to keep me busy. It's one big hassle to be towing the trailer behind the tractor, get off the tractor to pick up a few limbs and tons of pine cones and have to get back on the mower and re-crank. It's a waste of time, gas and adds wear and tear.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:14 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,503,839 times
I'm in a similar position as kentuckydad95. I have 2+ acres with lots of old oak trees around the property. It would be counterproductive for me to walk the land before picking up branches and debris prior to mowing. I like the idea of being able to jumper out the safety kill switch. Fortunately for me, my Deere L111 has a parking brake lock, so when the parking brake is set, I can get off the tractor without having to stop->restart it, as long as I disengage the mower blade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House