Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2019, 07:18 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,010,132 times

Advertisements

Does anyone use/have one? I know battery backup sump pumps are far more common regarding houses having basements and high water tables. We bought a new home about a year ago with a full basement and replaced the sump pump shortly after we moved in (because the previous one died and our basement nearly flooded).
The whole thing got me thinking about backup options. Seems the battery backup options are expensive and don't always work/pump fast enough. Some people have said get a natural gas generator, which is also very expensive. I've been reading up on water powered sump pumps (like link below) and it seems smarter to me (assuming you have municipal water).

https://www.basepump.com/products/ba...basepumpworks/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 07:29 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Had one for years. Worked perfectly whenever I tested it. Never needed it due to dumb luck more than anything.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:03 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
The water powered pump is great idea but they don't pump a lot of water compared to regular sump pumps, clearly better than nothing. Keep in mind they also guard against mechanical failure of your primary pump.

As far as the generator goes you don't have to spend a lot of money if you use interlock on the panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7DkaorEQPQ

Install for the electric might be $500 to $700 and then you buy whatever size generator you want...$2K for larger one. This can power most of your house with large enough generator.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The water powered pump is great idea but they don't pump a lot of water compared to regular sump pumps, clearly better than nothing. Keep in mind they also guard against mechanical failure of your primary pump.

As far as the generator goes you don't have to spend a lot of money if you use interlock on the panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7DkaorEQPQ

Install for the electric might be $500 to $700 and then you buy whatever size generator you want...$2K for larger one. This can power most of your house with large enough generator.
We ahve a 16K genreator. it powers most of our house with no problem. It would power everything it we had sprung for the extra $1200 (plus wiring) for the whole house ATS and panel. It powers AC units on start up pool pump, refridgerators, freezer etc. i do nto think you woudl need anything more than that.

It cost $3000. We got the extra quiet model (it is Guardian) but we did shop around and find a reduced price.

Generator worked beautifully until my daughter backed into it. It has been broken for two years (or three) I have not bothered to fix it - other priorities. Power rarely goes out anymore. Maybe I will try to fix it this weekend. Thanks for the reminder.

We also put in plumbing for water driver sump pump back ups, but we never put in the pumps. Just did not need them and we had other priorities. Probably put them in if we go to sell the house.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:34 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,010,132 times
Interested in hearing from others who have had experiences from them. Just talked to a plumber in the area who did some fixes for us last year and he said he usually doesn't recommend them because some of his customers ended up paying a huge water bill due to something malfunctioning and the pump running constantly over long periods of time. Seems like that would be unlikely.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:30 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
I consider water-powered pumps "the emergency" backup!

You have your regular household current sump pump. Your battery backup; and then there's the WTSHTF water-powered backup!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ChdLciOorF8qze

Old 05-10-2019, 07:57 AM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We ahve a 16K genreator. it powers most of our house with no problem. It would power everything it we had sprung for the extra $1200 (plus wiring) for the whole house ATS and panel. It powers AC units on start up pool pump, refridgerators, freezer etc. i do nto think you woudl need anything more than that.

It cost $3000. We got the extra quiet model (it is Guardian) but we did shop around and find a reduced price.

Generator worked beautifully until my daughter backed into it. It has been broken for two years (or three) I have not bothered to fix it - other priorities. Power rarely goes out anymore. Maybe I will try to fix it this weekend. Thanks for the reminder.

We also put in plumbing for water driver sump pump back ups, but we never put in the pumps. Just did not need them and we had other priorities. Probably put them in if we go to sell the house.
I just got my 16K generator installed about 3 weeks ago. I guess a water powered backup sump pump has its uses (I still have the battery backup on my sump pump, which is redundant now), but it only does the one, single thing. A generator does so many other things in a power outage that it just seems like a better investment to me. A water powered sump pump would be my last go-to option to avoid flooding.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Interested in hearing from others who have had experiences from them. Just talked to a plumber in the area who did some fixes for us last year and he said he usually doesn't recommend them because some of his customers ended up paying a huge water bill due to something malfunctioning and the pump running constantly over long periods of time. Seems like that would be unlikely.

I would imagine they have float that opens a valve and I could see where it may become stuck since it would need to be easy to open and would then need to close with gravity. It should be setup so it only comes on if the primary fails or cant keep up, even if it were stuck open it should only be stuck open because your basement was about to get flooded. Just be sure to check it after rain events. There also should be a manual valve installed for it on the water leading to it, you can open and close it yourself before and after rain events but that somewhat negates the emergency benefits.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I just got my 16K generator installed about 3 weeks ago. I guess a water powered backup sump pump has its uses (I still have the battery backup on my sump pump, which is redundant now), but it only does the one, single thing. A generator does so many other things in a power outage that it just seems like a better investment to me. A water powered sump pump would be my last go-to option to avoid flooding.

This not only protects against power failure but also protects against mechanical failure on your primary pump or even the generator. If I had a finished basement and water from the street I'd install one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House