Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:54 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm a bit too country to understand the fuss. Beef on the hoof doesn't cross my eyes and ya can't eat it till ya butcher it!

Now if the driveway is one of those 15 foot concrete ones in a subdivision where the neighbors are 10 feet away that might be a bit objectionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 12:25 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Other than it being a little early in the season for butchering at home, I don't see a big problem. A couple days from now, if he hasn't cleaned it up and has flies and wasps, I might see a problem.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Yeah, I don't get it either.

I don't live in a rural area, but I understand some people prefer to slaughter and butcher their own meat for a variety of reasons.

Where he lives shouldn't make a moral difference. It's still slaughtering and butchering regardless of the location.

And according to the article, there aren't any local laws forbidding it.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:05 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Oh but it's so barbaric!!!!!!!!! No one should have to see that!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh but it's so barbaric!!!!!!!!! No one should have to see that!!!
LOL at least until its wrapped in plastic wrap and displayed at the grocery store!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:21 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
All those in favor of police not being allowed to arrest people in their own driveway, because of the horror of it, raise their hand.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:33 AM

LOL...... VA--I am reminded of some guests we had visiting, years ago. They were over for the day and staying for dinner. I said, "Why don't y'all come down to the garden with me. I have to get some stuff for dinner." The absolute WONDER on their kids' faces while I lifted some potatoes. "Wow! potatoes grow in the GROUND!!? I didn't know potatoes grew under the GROUND!!" I said, "If you think THAT'S cool, wait til you see where PEAS come from!" Hehe.... Yes, so many people have no idea where their food comes from or where it was before it ended up in cans, boxes or plastic wrap. Being raised on a self-sufficient farm, it never occurred to me that other people didn't know these things. By the way, there is just something completely awesome about sitting around shelling peas or snapping green beans together. I don't know what it is, but to me, it's almost magical...such a bonding experience.

Harry---****Both hands raised, waving them back and forth****

As an aside here... This summer, a few of our kids and grandson went up to spend a few days with some family who live on a farm. There was a pig hanging, ready to cut & wrap. I told my daughter, "You should get up early with me to help wrap the meat" She said, "Ewww Mom, I don't know" I said, "Look, it's no different than when we hit a sale and buy the huge family packs and re-package them." Okay...so she was totally willing after that....but didn't wake up before dawn ....missed out. The thing is, it's (again), such a fun, bonding experience for me. You've got these HUGE pans of meat, got an assembly line going and you're wrapping and labeling the meat together...all before breakfast. I think everyone should have that experience. I almost feel like people are missing out on something completely cool and natural these days.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
LOL...... VA--I am reminded of some guests we had visiting, years ago. They were over for the day and staying for dinner. I said, "Why don't y'all come down to the garden with me. I have to get some stuff for dinner." The absolute WONDER on their kids' faces while I lifted some potatoes. "Wow! potatoes grow in the GROUND!!? I didn't know potatoes grew under the GROUND!!" I said, "If you think THAT'S cool, wait til you see where PEAS come from!" Hehe.... Yes, so many people have no idea where their food comes from or where it was before it ended up in cans, boxes or plastic wrap. Being raised on a self-sufficient farm, it never occurred to me that other people didn't know these things. By the way, there is just something completely awesome about sitting around shelling peas or snapping green beans together. I don't know what it is, but to me, it's almost magical...such a bonding experience.

Harry---****Both hands raised, waving them back and forth****

As an aside here... This summer, a few of our kids and grandson went up to spend a few days with some family who live on a farm. There was a pig hanging, ready to cut & wrap. I told my daughter, "You should get up early with me to help wrap the meat" She said, "Ewww Mom, I don't know" I said, "Look, it's no different than when we hit a sale and buy the huge family packs and re-package them." Okay...so she was totally willing after that....but didn't wake up before dawn ....missed out. The thing is, it's (again), such a fun, bonding experience for me. You've got this HUGE pan of meat, got an assembly line going and you're wrapping and labeling the meat together. I think everyone should have that experience. I almost feel like people are missing out on something completely cool and natural these days.
I think everyone should spend at least on day on a farm to understand where their food comes from. Until this year (because of the drought) we have always had a garden. When we were living in Ga we kept a few cattle & hogs for consumption & also did some hunting & fishing.

Once DH retires, we are going to probably move back east to either the mountains of the Carolina's or to the upper regions of Michigan. Either way - we hope to have some property around us and definately will have dinner on the hoof wondering around in the pasture! Yum!

Old 09-10-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I think everyone should spend at least on day on a farm to understand where their food comes from. Until this year (because of the drought) we have always had a garden. When we were living in Ga we kept a few cattle & hogs for consumption & also did some hunting & fishing.

Once DH retires, we are going to probably move back east to either the mountains of the Carolina's or to the upper regions of Michigan. Either way - we hope to have some property around us and definately will have dinner on the hoof wondering around in the pasture! Yum!
If we had to room, we would definitely be raising our own meat. Hubby and I raised a pig at the first place we lived together, but we just don't have enough property. I miss it. I miss the GOOD meat. We did have a garden this year, but the only thing we'll have enough to can is the beets. It has kept us in veggies throughout the summer though and we DO have a small backyard flock of Americauna laying hens.

The farm girl in me is still alive and well and spending a few days on hubby's family's farm this summer, caused a deep, deep longing for more property. I was a little envious that my youngest son (15), got to go up and spend nearly 3 weeks with them this summer. All of my boys have done so, over the years, and they help put up hay and assist with other various projects on the farm. It's such a fantastic experience for them, one that I wouldn't ever want them to miss!!

On the bonus side for the family with the farm, my kids are ALL very proficient with tools, are very strong and love to work up a sweat (especially for others) LOL Also, they love having people stay with them who LOVE to eat...and my kids LOVE to eat and appreciate farm-style meals.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:04 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Something I always wondered is if the nation lost its ability to supply supermarkets how many people would just die? I don't know how to dress a deer or chicken. Forget a bear. Now fish I can handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House