Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 11:50 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times

Advertisements

We want to build addition 28x25 living room onto our house so it would be 3 walls out and of course a roof extension.May use existing windows on exterior wall. At this point all we want is the shell built then go from there.
What is a fair per square foot price for this or a average price for this type of project? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:44 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
What is a fair per square foot price for this or a average price for this type of project?
depends.
This is a whole house calculator I happen to have:
Building-Cost.net -- free residential building cost calculator

Find one for additions.

hth

Last edited by MrRational; 11-05-2011 at 07:58 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 01:19 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,330,547 times
Quote:
We want to build addition 28x25 living room onto our house so it would be 3 walls out and of course a roof extension.May use existing windows on exterior wall. At this point all we want is the shell built then go from there.
What is a fair per square foot price for this or a average price for this type of project? Thanks
The cost calculator MR.Rational linked will have you considering the materials and methods of construction that impact cost.

One word of warning, don't skimp on design and engineering. A poorly designed and engineered addition can really cheapen a home. Consider getting a copy of What not to Build [www.creativehomeowner.com] or Home Plan Doctor by Larry W. Garnett

Old 11-05-2011, 01:38 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Looks like a little under 900 sq ft, no plumbing, no special electrical, how about masonry? A fireplace might nice to have.

On the low end, anything that built to year round habitual standards is probably going to cost at least $40/ sq ft. So if your budget is not around $35,000 I would not even think about this project. Thing too, is spending that kind of money to just add some generic living space (as opposed to a shiny new kitchen, master bath with all the pluses that has or even a couple of nice sized bedrooms) is going to be a "re-sale loser" -- odds are you will not see you money back. The way most buyers would see a huge add on to a living room is almost universally negative -- more space to heat / furnish / pay for and you don't even get any real privacy they way you might if you finish off a basement.

Trying to finance "raw space" or a "shell" is always a problem too -- lenders know that a big ol' empty "garage" added on to most normal houses will make it harder to sell, not easier. They would be much easier to get a "home improvement loan" if you have fully detailed plans of what the space will be all finished up -- though they will probably have some leeway if you are up front about getting all "code compliance" stuff by professionals and doing the more "decorating" type stuff yourself (and that can be a good strategy if you have experience in doing bigger DIY -- leaves money in your pocket for a TV, furniture, etc...).

Old 11-05-2011, 03:55 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,054,628 times
I love how people who have never been in the business try and give you a price for your remodeling project.

Price will differ by location and project. Call several LOCAL contractors and compare price with scope of work being preformed.

busta

Old 11-05-2011, 04:18 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
Quote:

$100/square foot, basic, 125/sq. foot luxury, $150 sq. foot luxury.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:24 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
See, ^^^ Like this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I love how people who have never been in the business try and give you a price for your remodeling project.

Price will differ by location and project. Call several LOCAL contractors and compare price with scope of work being preformed.

busta

Materials don't vary a great amount. But, the type of materials and the construction method(s) used, will. And of course the labor involved with them.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
See, ^^^ Like this one.
Really, not so knowlegable builder? How, exactly, do you know what I know about room addition costs?

I'm betting you're one of those pickup truck and bucket remodelers with the vinyl sign on his truck that switches out for windows or additions depending the day. And, who prices stuff based on what kind of car the guy drives, where he works and how expensive his wristwatch is. I've probaly contracted for more construction than you have bid on.

You post on every thread here and almost every time you are out in left field, so what do you know about? The OP wanted a price per square foot, or did you miss that part? I suppose you disagree with a range of 100-150 /ft in Idaho, right?

Old 11-07-2011, 07:40 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Why did you feel the need for the decrepitation toward me? I was only agreeing with busta.
A tirade like that sounds like Napolean complex- that's my observation.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:01 AM

You got me on a bad day. And, since busta posted BEFORE me I thought your insult was purely gratuitous. In hindsight, I think a little less venom and more information on my part might have been a better approach.

I cut a guy off in traffic yesterday and he tailgated me honking his horn all the way to the highway. I guess he was having a bad day too. I recall seeing him jamming his middle finger into the windshield of his little hybrid as he slowly disappeared from my rear view mirror. Maybe yesterday I was that guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House