Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:55 AM

342 posts, read 751,945 times

Advertisements

Always had top loaders that lasted FOREVER. When we moved, we left our washer/dryer since we'd be renting short term and didn't want to store them.

The house we recently purchased came with a 5-6 yr old HE front load washer. It has started making a knocking sound which after reading a few forums, looks like the start of tub bearing failure inherent to this model of Kenmore - made by Whirlpool/Frigidaire. It also has a moldy smell to it, which folks have said that you have to run the washer on a cleaning cycle every so often.

So, in my experience over the years, I have owned basically trouble free top loaders and now this front loader, which, after alot of reading, seems like it will grenade in 5-7 years.

I'm pretty handy and have found instructions on how to rebuild this mess, but am ready to just let it run its course and buy a new top loader when it dies.

What's your experience been with washers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 AM

273 posts, read 562,705 times
I had a front loader from GE. The main problem i had was it had mildew buildup. I tried to clean the rubber gasket/boot and leave the door open to air it out. But it still developed milder smell and buildup inside the boot over time in hard to clean places. I had it for about 5 years with no other issues. I recently moved and got rid of it and am using a top loader again for now.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:10 AM

Ah same problem we see (besides the bearing knock). Tried cleaning it, and we leave the door open though the previous owners probably didnt. Before I spend $140 on a new boot, I'm weighing options and may go the top load route again.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:37 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
I've never had an issue with mildew in the 8 years I've owned a front loader. Wash a load of whites with bleach to clean and then keep the door open after use. I'll never go back to a top load.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
I have only had top loaders and my current one is a 10 year old Kenmore. Never had an issue with it.

Two sisters, a SIL and a neighbor all have front loaders. Reveiws are mixed. One loves the thing and the only issue with hers was the funky smell. To others had the funky smell issues and felt their clothes weren't getting as clean without the agitator. The last one bought the front loader used knowing the bearings needed to be replaced. Her husband fixed that and she loves her machine. I should mention that the two who felt their clothes weren't as clean and that the washer had a funky smell, are two EXTREMELY clean housekeepers and fanatical about cleanliness. The neighbor got rid of her front loader and bought a used top loader just like mine. She said she doesn't ever want another top loader.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:39 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Same top loader Kenmore in our home since 1987 (23 years). It is on it's last legs though. The out-of-balance indicator no longer works, so it will walk across the laundry room if we have an unbalanced load

Old 09-23-2011, 10:53 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Investigations of Mold & Mildew in Front Loading Washers

Do not use liquid detergent ( the best recommended detergent to use is Persil )
Do not use more detergent than is recommended
Do not use liquid fabric softener ( use sheets or a ball)
Run it empty with oxygen bleach monthly or after 12 or so uses. Do not use regular bleach because it damage parts of the machine.
Wipe out the door and the gasket after use.
Leave open after use to allow the inside to dry.

Wash machines with internal water heater ( ~200F), if you use it, are virtually mildew free. ( like Miele) - it has many advantages.
Washer/dryer in one usually don't have any mildew problems either.

Few ideas here:
Front Loading Washing Machines and Mold | Apartment Therapy DC
Washing Machine Odor Remover
How to Remove Mold and Mildew from Front-Load Washing Machines | Danny Lipford

Old 09-23-2011, 10:58 AM

Thanks elnina. I had come across all that as I was searching on these problems. Sad though, alot of extra work compared to the gool 'ol top loader

Old 09-23-2011, 11:06 AM

268 posts, read 1,067,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Investigations of Mold & Mildew in Front Loading Washers

Do not use liquid detergent ( the best recommended detergent to use is Persil )
Do not use more detergent than is recommended
Do not use liquid fabric softener ( use sheets or a ball)
Run it empty with oxygen bleach monthly or after 12 or so uses. Do not use regular bleach because it damage parts of the machine.
Wipe out the door and the gasket after use.
Leave open after use to allow the inside to dry.

Wash machines with internal water heater ( ~200F), if you use it, are virtually mildew free. ( like Miele) - it has many advantages.
Washer/dryer in one usually don't have any mildew problems either.

Few ideas here:
Front Loading Washing Machines and Mold | Apartment Therapy DC
Washing Machine Odor Remover
How to Remove Mold and Mildew from Front-Load Washing Machines | Danny Lipford

You've just convinced me to stick with a top loader, thanks.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 AM

577 posts, read 900,470 times
I prefer top loaders. When we bought our house it came with a high end front-loader. I just was not impressed with how it cleaned the clothes-- it tangled and stretched them. It died and when I learned how expensive it would be to fix, I replaced it with a top loader. Our water bill stayed the same and I was happier with its performance. We had basement flooding during Irene and the washer died, I'm replacing it with a GE top loader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House