Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:24 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times

Advertisements

I have all kinds of apple cider vinegar bowls set out to catch them, I have a jam w/saran wrap & holes poked trap, I have no food out, I have totally scoured and cleaned; I have cleaned all my drains! But still they are flying all over the house. I can't find the source and there is no swarming. Help! This is driving me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 08:32 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I have all kinds of apple cider vinegar bowls set out to catch them, I have a jam w/saran wrap & holes poked trap, I have no food out, I have totally scoured and cleaned; I have cleaned all my drains! But still they are flying all over the house. I can't find the source and there is no swarming. Help! This is driving me crazy.
wouldn't assume they are "fruit" flies as drain flies look very similar, have you checked your (basement) floor drains? check your house plants too as they provide a good environment for little flying pests.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:39 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Maybe some flies entered (without your knowledge) and laid eggs which have now hatched?

Old 11-14-2011, 11:46 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Maybe some flies entered (without your knowledge) and laid eggs which have now hatched?
This is exactly how it happens. So, you have to spray to kill the live flies and wash stuff down to kill the larvae.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:55 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
I had this occur not long ago. Out of the blue, there were flies (big ones too) inside the house one after another..... BTW, if you get gross out easily, please don't read pass this......

I found a mouse corpse on a sticky trap and it must have been caught a long time ago because it was starting to decompose and that's where the flies were coming from. I didn't know initially because the trap was in a cabinet that I never used. I didn't smell the stench until after I opened the door to the cabinet.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:30 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
This is exactly how it happens. So, you have to spray to kill the live flies and wash stuff down to kill the larvae.
I am cleaning like a madwoman. What do you spray with? I have a pier and beam house and really, really won't go under the house......

Old 11-14-2011, 04:35 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Had this problem in my office a while back. The cause turned out to be new plants that had been brought in. We kicked the plants out and the flies were gone within three days.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:43 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I am cleaning like a madwoman. What do you spray with? I have a pier and beam house and really, really won't go under the house......
You have to kill the flying fruit flies so that they don't drop more larvae. They are easily killed by the least toxic indoor flying insect killer you can find. Get teh pets a new location for the day, get a couple of cans of spray. Walk through the house from top to bottom never retracing your steps and fog the whole place. Go to lunch, come back in a couple of hours and air the place out for an hour or two.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:55 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
If you have living plants in the house then those are probably 'fungus gnats'. Overly wet soils causes them to accumulate and breed. You can 'google' fungas gnats for additional information.
As someone suggested I'd fog the house with aerosol bug bombs that you can get at any garden center. The foggers get into every nook and cranny and will wipe out the gnats and anyother bugs hidden in the house. Close all the doors and windows, let off the foggers, return 2-3 hours later, open the windows for a short while to air out the fumes.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:09 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
I've had them appear (not sure if they're fruit flies, drain flies, gnats or what) but it seems to be in the fall in warm, humid weather. They drive me insane....buzzing all over the place. The apple cider vinegar with a dash of dishwashing liquid and cellophane on top seems to the best way to catch them. I have no idea where they come from or how they get in -- I've brought no fresh fruit in or anything else that should attract them. Once it gets cold, they disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House