Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:09 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,860,686 times

Advertisements

We are adding some concrete in our back and side yards to increase sitting area. This would limit our future access to piping and wiring. So we are also adding some outdoor lighting. Right now we only have one outside fixture on the wall that doesn't give much of a light. Have gotten quotes for both low voltage and regular lighting. Everybody states that their way is the best way. Regular voltage is obviously more pricey and also has some potential risk, but also gives one more options down the road. So want to have a general idea;
Could low voltage lighting used for lighting the sitting/entertaining area? Or it is only good for decoration and plant emphasis?
The area to be lighted would be roughly 20 X 35 ft and currently only has one small fixture (with potential to strengthen).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 05:04 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Have you considered or looked into the newer LED solar lighting systems. No wiring needed. And they come in different brightness.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:21 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
We are adding some concrete in our back and side yards to increase sitting area. This would limit our future access to piping and wiring. So we are also adding some outdoor lighting. Right now we only have one outside fixture on the wall that doesn't give much of a light. Have gotten quotes for both low voltage and regular lighting. Everybody states that their way is the best way. Regular voltage is obviously more pricey and also has some potential risk, but also gives one more options down the road. So want to have a general idea;
Could low voltage lighting used for lighting the sitting/entertaining area? Or it is only good for decoration and plant emphasis?
The area to be lighted would be roughly 20 X 35 ft and currently only has one small fixture (with potential to strengthen).
Not to overly simplfy but what do you expect from the lighting?

Security...simple...a motion detector...flood lights...existing fixture fine.

Visibility...meaning sit out there and read at night...120V outlets...including one in the middle.

Atmosphere...lighting for a party...dining...then low voltage will do the trick.

Depending on the cost, the more 120V outlets, the more you can do so my suggestions to do it best....120V outlets and do not forget the one in the middle.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Solar lighting generally is not ideal choice -- even in parts of the country that have sufficient sunlight to charge up the batteries long enough to provide all night long illumination you cannot "switch off / on" fixtures w/o a lot of futzing...

That said there are an increasingly wide range of VERY nice high about LED lights that operate off a reduced voltage that comes through a transformer. Some systems use the "old" outdoor standard of 12V while others are 10V or 18V. There is a lot of "market confusion" as former market leaders are retooling their offerings.

If you are not ready to put lights in the ground / concrete I would not worry too much about the choice although installing some direct burial cable for BOTH low voltage and LINE voltage systems is probably smart. With a little forethought you can have these run to distribution points in a fixed item, like maybe a fireplace or permeant grill area and then when your plans firm-up you will not need to cut the concrete...

Old 11-14-2011, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

The main use would be for lighting for a party. Reading would be on a device (Laptop, Tablet, etc), so not an issue. Just for people to be able to see each other and not have a good excuse for not finding their spouse...

Solar is good, but I want to have something more permanent and not to deal with batteries.

I understand that having line voltage gives me more flexibility, but there is the cost concern (more digging, permits) and some safety concerns (I guess not much if done properly).

Old 11-14-2011, 11:11 PM

More trouble; Went to shop for lights, we also need some post lights that would go on 2 columns in the front of the house. Could not find any low voltage post lamps. Are the fixtures that go on short columns called post lamps?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:24 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
Regular voltage is obviously more pricey
that shouldn't necessarily be so. someone may be quoting you a cheap LV transformer and fixtures. I know there are a lot of variables I can't see, but the 120v system shouldn't be any more expensive; usually they're less than LV in my experience for comparible fixtures.

the LV allows you to have smaller, less obstrusive fixtures.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:32 PM

668 posts, read 2,187,122 times
Have you thought of this?

Take glass blocks, and make your patio out of them...

Drill holes in each block, and you can put in a light bulb, (Christmas, LED), and have the wire put into pvc pipes, and put underneath it in the sand bed below the blocks.

The lights, when they need changing, the blocks are easily brought up and light changed.
If your worry the blocks maybe too 'slick' then just get some etching fluid and etch the blocks for saftey.

This can give lots of lights, and is a sure fire attention getter

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-18-2011, 10:36 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Solar lighting generally is not ideal choice -- even in parts of the country that have sufficient sunlight to charge up the batteries long enough to provide all night long illumination you cannot "switch off / on" fixtures w/o a lot of futzing...

That said there are an increasingly wide range of VERY nice high about LED lights that operate off a reduced voltage that comes through a transformer. Some systems use the "old" outdoor standard of 12V while others are 10V or 18V. There is a lot of "market confusion" as former market leaders are retooling their offerings.

If you are not ready to put lights in the ground / concrete I would not worry too much about the choice although installing some direct burial cable for BOTH low voltage and LINE voltage systems is probably smart. With a little forethought you can have these run to distribution points in a fixed item, like maybe a fireplace or permeant grill area and then when your plans firm-up you will not need to cut the concrete...
I agree. I also would not use high-voltage outside for safety reasons. Why take chances?

I do have a solution you may like. I found battery-powered motion sensing outdoor lights by Mr. Beams online. These aren't sold at any stores in my area, so online may be the only place to get them.

The ones I have use LED and I used them because I have a lot of woods etc and I wanted to put in security lights/path lights w/o wiring. Solar also:
1. Doesn't work in shady areas
2. Usually has the battery integrated...it is rechargeable..but how can you fix a solar light if the battery goes bad...they're not removable...Dumb design IMO So when the battery dies, you buy a new light? Crazy.

The battery-powered lights I got are awesome! I only got 1 bad one so far, so I can't say the quality is 100%, but solar has the same issues. They're EASY to install and survived in the TON of rain we got in MD for the past several months. And since they use LED units to create the light, the batteries last several months.

The other good thing is there are several designs. I integrated the nicer-looking ones into my decks. I used the big bullet-looking ones in the woods where aesthetics are not as much of a concern.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Try looking for "bollards"...

Quote:
More trouble; Went to shop for lights, we also need some post lights that would go on 2 columns in the front of the house. Could not find any low voltage post lamps. Are the fixtures that go on short columns called post lamps?
The fixtures that go on shorter posts / columns are often grouped with bollard styles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House