Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 07:51 AM

82 posts, read 413,244 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am starting to look at homes online with the hopes of buying in Spring 2013. The homes in the area of interest are primarily small capes or ranches built in the 1940's - 1950's. Some of these homes do have 1 car garages but some of them also just have carports. I would be perhaps interested in looking at homes with carports if the property was a good price and the cost of converting into a garage is reasonable.

Does anyone have any experience with converting a carport into a garage? What would be the average cost for such a project?

I wouldn't be converting a 1 car carport to a 2 car garage but I would just want to enclose the space so I could store property safe from the elements.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 AM

102 posts, read 601,618 times
I would first find out if your local zoning ordinances would allow for a conversion from carport to garage for the property or properties in question.

Some carports on older homes are right up on the property line, or extremely close to it. Current zoning ordinances in your municipality may preclude a conversion due to encroachment in setbacks.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:13 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The key is understanding local code requirements. If they will not allow to enclose the space w/o bringing up the insulation and such to current standards you may end up with a space so tiny as to be unable to park any normal sized (camry/accord/taurus) type car in the space let alone some big Chevy Suburban or other popular SUV. Then, no matter what the cost is, you've gone from having at least a covered space to being forced to park out in the open.

If the space big enough the skill level to do this kind of job is VERY minimal, materials are generally not going to exceed a couple a grand even with insulation and so long there is no excessive fees for permits I would be surprised if the whole project was over $5K assuming any existing concrete / masonry/ framing are in good shape... If any of those items are in need of repairs then you need to be "hand-on" to assess what has to be torn vs what can be patched and those kind of things can drive the costs sky high...

Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 AM

82 posts, read 413,244 times
Great thanks for the responses! I think the zoning would probably be okay because I have seen other home owners in the area convert to even 2 car garages. But I will definitely check on any particular properties I am interested in before even putting in an offer.

$5k for the entire job would definitely be do-able. If the cost would go upwards of $10k or more I would probably not consider making the conversion and only look at homes that already have enclosed garages.

thanks again!

Old 12-09-2011, 10:11 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Sounds like it's doable seeing that you have neighbors who have already done this. Be sure to check with your zoning/historic dept though as far as your finishing materials (i.e., type of roof, siding, garage door, etc.) as many older towns/regions have rules on this.

Also, when you are looking at properties, see if there are things like electricity, light boxes, etc. already available/running to the carport.

We bought a 1930s Arts & Crafts with a carriage house (already enclosed) and it is detached. It already has electricity in it and framed for insulation in case we ever want to finish it more (like separate quarters).

Good luck with your project!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:28 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
We have friends in historic Denver who did this. It took two weeks and it was $5000. Matched the house and had some architectural elements but other than that, it is your standard garage.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:16 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
...and framed for insulation ...

Right! And I'm the Tooth Fairy.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:10 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default I suspect the framing...

...was not so much "insulation ready" as simply luckily framed on 16" centers. An awful lot of older older "accessory structures" were framed kinda haphazardly and it no fun cutting insulation to stuff into 18" or 20" (or 14" or 12" or whatever the drunken framing crew felt looked close enough) stud bays...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Right! And I'm the Tooth Fairy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House