Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 05:23 AM

573 posts, read 1,689,763 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am finally getting around to remodeling a family room. I have 5 dogs and 3 cats and decided tile would be my best bet.

I went to Floors and Decor and absolutely LOVE the look of Saltillo tile! I am assuming I'll need to have it sealed in case of any accidents. But the more I read about Saltillo, the more confused I get. On one website, it said it's great for pets. On another, it says it's very porous and needs to be sealed over and over (every year? every other year? I have no idea). Even after it's sealed I should be careful about getting it wet. Is this true?

Does anyone here have Saltillo tile with kids and/or pets, and how do you like it? Can I use a Swiffer on it, or would that be too harsh? Would I be better off getting a regular tile with a Saltillo look? I'd also like to add those pretty colorful Mexican tiles dispersed throughout as well.

Thanks for any input you can share!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 07:51 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Saltillo tile is an on-going maintenance issue. And I'm no talking a moppin' either.
It's also very soft- can easily be damaged from falling objects. For most H/O's a ceramic tile with the Saltillo look is a much better and cheaper (in the long haul) alternative.
Just the installation can be 2-3 times as much as ceramic- because of the steps that are involved for a proper installation.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:57 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,077 times
I would advise against. I have neighbors that moved in with that tile on the floor, they would spend days sealing, and you have to keep pets off for hours or 24, and it was useless to keep nice, sealers take forever and have to keep the dogs off, footprints. They hated it, took a jackhammer to remove and they went with bamboo. 5 golden retrievers are tough to keep off a floor for any length of time. You can find ceramic tile that looks similar and is easier to maintain, see my photo of my rental. I used a lighter ceramic tile called Santa Fe to make the rooms lighter, and a cream grout sealer. The showroom also had the darker shades and you can use darker grout.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:20 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I've experienced the terra cotta tiles in commercial situations. I would avoid it for the reasons above and more. Miserable stuff. The really pretty stuff has no level surface, so any furniture rock and rolls, any liquid with an odor gets into it. It can be deadly slippery if oil ever gets spilled on it. In a lot of cases where terra cotta was used commercially it was ripped out or mats or rugs thrown over it for insurance purposes.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:53 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Sounds like you got some good info here. You can also try the www.johnbridge.com forums. There are tiling experts there who help DIYers and you can sometimes even find a good tiler in your area.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:16 PM

Waaaah!!!! I was really hoping for some different answers....I went back this afternoon and couldn't find ceramic tile that would match that rustic look. My friend who is a contractor also went to HD and couldn't find any. You'd think they'd make faux Saltillo!

The installation I'm not worried about, it's getting done for free. It's the maintenance I'm worried about. If I buy it already sealed, does anyone know how often it would have to be sealed after that? Thanks for all the responses...!

Old 12-14-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I would advise against. I have neighbors that moved in with that tile on the floor, they would spend days sealing, and you have to keep pets off for hours or 24, and it was useless to keep nice, sealers take forever and have to keep the dogs off, footprints. They hated it, took a jackhammer to remove and they went with bamboo. 5 golden retrievers are tough to keep off a floor for any length of time. You can find ceramic tile that looks similar and is easier to maintain, see my photo of my rental. I used a lighter ceramic tile called Santa Fe to make the rooms lighter, and a cream grout sealer. The showroom also had the darker shades and you can use darker grout.

This looks exactly like the look I'm going for, except with added Mexican tile. Where did you purchase this tile?

Old 12-14-2011, 03:07 PM

I found it at a tile store, not a big box. I want to say something like american carpet and tile, it was 2005. I would check some independant stores and tell them what you are looking for. I am sure you're not the first who wants s the look but not the hassle.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 PM

I have some of this tile still in the box at the house, bought extra for the day I rip out the lower kitchen cabinets on one side and tile before placing new ones. That was 6 years ago, lol. Anyway I can get the company name off it for you, if I remember, on friday when I hope a potential tenant shows for their appointment to view the house. The color was Santa Fe, don't remember the brand. Its not the greatest tile in the world, up close the pattern is obvious, but I did and still do like the way it just totally brightens the small rooms. Started looking first at vinyl wood look flooring, and noticed the way a bright teak color "board" reflected the light, and that got me turned to the oranges.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:33 PM

Got it! Buy Keramikos Tile & Stone Santa Fe 13 x 13 Teja at Discount Flooring

Keramikos in santa fe. Still exists apparently though what on screen on my phone looks a tad darker. But I remeber there being a darker terra cotta color and I went with the lighter. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House