Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 03:40 PM

475 posts, read 1,371,105 times

Advertisements

Someone or whatever backed into my mailbox. I guess even a deer could have wandered in a kicked it but anyway, it makes me think of getting a web cam out the front door. It is still standing but pole is very loose and top is bent. However, from even the distance of 50 feet, not sure what that can do as far as "evidence". Worth the hassle or does it relieve paranoia? Very isolated subdivision, never really thought about it before. How does anyone else deal with that kind of vulnerable feeling and wanting to blame the neighbors kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 04:43 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Repair the damage and let it go. It's just a mailbox.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:50 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post
How does anyone else deal with that kind of vulnerable feeling and wanting to blame the neighbors kids?
I look at the big picture and realize it is minor and not worth the worry. Not to mention the money and aggravation of dealing with a surveillance camera and causing it to deepen a spiral of paranoia. It's a mailbox, move on.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:05 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
I would at least make a police report. Not that they are going to catch anyone or even do any investigation, but it's always good to let them know what's going on in your neighborhood. Of course, I'm looking at it as probably being a bunch of kids going around and taking a whack at it rather than someone accidentally backing into it.

There have been occasions when the police actually catch kids in the act, get them to confess to many weekends' worth of similar destruction, and they end up having to pay restitution to their victims. If you haven't made a police report, then they won't know you are due it.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I look at the big picture and realize it is minor and not worth the worry. Not to mention the money and aggravation of dealing with a surveillance camera and causing it to deepen a spiral of paranoia. It's a mailbox, move on.
I agree.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:20 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
I have Logitech 750i system. It is fantastic for daytime motion recording but nighttime, not so much. Looking for a better night camera system.

Here is an example of daytime operation triggered only by the motion of a lizard:

LMR S153528.5355110-0400 D15202 A3754 F33 E.mp4 - YouTube

Old 01-14-2012, 10:24 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Wish we'd had one last night. We've had a few problems periodically with kids doing things like throwing eggs, etc. Then last night, someone came by and shot my son's car (he was home from college for Christmas, left this afternoon) with paintballs and cut one of his tires. We came out this morning to find a paint splattered on his car and the driveway and a flat tire that couldn't be repaired. Noticed another car down the street with paint on the back of it as well.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:31 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
agreed!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:45 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
I have a surveillance system... They are relatively cheap, and fairly simple to install. Capturing external property damage was not my goal, but I wanted to record break-ins or theft. (when the cost of the camera system is only 0.04% of the value of the house contents, and there is expensive stuff in the garage, I consider it worthwhile.) There are 4 cameras that are activated by motion, and each have IR illuminators, so they work well at night. Data is recorded on a 2TB hard drive and PC (in a very well-hidden place). I also get nnotification to my cell phone if there is activity (live video), and I can remotely log in when I am at work. The cameras are mounted high enough so that they can only be taken out by something like thrown rocks.
I haven't put cameras in the house yet (there are some cool ones, that do not look like cameras at all (like picture frames).

The funny thing in NH is (it's the law) that if you have cameras inside the house, you are required to notify any visitors that they exist. Yeah, right.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I have a surveillance system... They are relatively cheap, and fairly simple to install. Capturing external property damage was not my goal, but I wanted to record break-ins or theft. (when the cost of the camera system is only 0.04% of the value of the house contents, and there is expensive stuff in the garage, I consider it worthwhile.) There are 4 cameras that are activated by motion, and each have IR illuminators, so they work well at night. Data is recorded on a 2TB hard drive and PC (in a very well-hidden place). I also get nnotification to my cell phone if there is activity (live video), and I can remotely log in when I am at work. The cameras are mounted high enough so that they can only be taken out by something like thrown rocks.
I haven't put cameras in the house yet (there are some cool ones, that do not look like cameras at all (like picture frames).

The funny thing in NH is (it's the law) that if you have cameras inside the house, you are required to notify any visitors that they exist. Yeah, right.

What brand do you have that has good night time performance?

My cameras have sound recording also but I have it turned off as there are just some things about your visitors that one does not need to know. I had a nice video of the pool man urinating off of the pool deck into the weeds which I also could have done without.

I have Internet access from any browsing device anywhere to the live feeds and the motion recorded history. Does your system have that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House