Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:53 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,918 times

Advertisements

Hi, My house seems to be falling apart.

I have a ceiling fan with a light. Suddenly, the lights stopped working. At first we thought it was the bulbs, but nope it's not. Then my husband replaced the switch, but it's not that. We get power at the switch and power to the ceiling, but not to the lights.

The fan works, but not the lights. We didn't do anything to cause the lights not to work either..

any suggestions on where to start looking for the problem?

I'd be perfectly happy buying a new light if that's what the problem is..

thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 01:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
You should check the connection where the light kit plugs into the fan wiring, and see if it's come loose. If it's not loose, then you should try replacing just the light kit. You can buy it at Home Depot.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:09 PM

5,864 posts, read 11,919,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You should check the connection where the light kit plugs into the fan wiring, and see if it's come loose. If it's not loose, then you should try replacing just the light kit. You can buy it at Home Depot.
Yep - we had the same problem. Light quit working and we had hired a handyman for the day for other stuff. He took a look at it and found a loose wire and fixed it in no time. Really good thing because I didn't want to change out the light kit - I really liked the one that came with the fan.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:26 PM

The problem may be more than just the light. Hubby tells me that we're getting power to the red wire even though the switches are down.. and apparently that's not a good thing.

what do i know?

Old 01-29-2012, 04:39 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
You may want to call a qualified electrician. Could save you from a fire, or a short ,or maybe cause some you some other problems or injuries. It'd be worth the peace of mind.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:26 AM

59 posts, read 308,969 times
The power to the red wire may not be an issue. It could be a switch loop which means the power goes to the fan first and fed down to the switch as opposed to going to the switch first would turn off the power at the fan if the switch is off. In the many fans I have installed over the years, it always seems like the blue wire (of the fan) goes to the light.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 121,778 times
the light on my ceiling fan has started a strobe/flashing ? what's wrong and what to do ?

Old 05-02-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej c View Post
the light on my ceiling fan has started a strobe/flashing ? what's wrong and what to do ?
This is probably a silly suggestion but have you tried changing the light bulb?

In any case, my response just bumped the thread so hopefully you'll get some more helpful responses from the smart people here at CD. If not, you may have to start your own thread.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:56 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
Lauriedeee, what turned out to be the problem in your case? I'm always interested when someone posts a problem and I wonder what it ended up being.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Lauriedeee, what turned out to be the problem in your case? I'm always interested when someone posts a problem and I wonder what it ended up being.
oh gosh, that was so long ago. We've since replaced it with a chandelier without a fan.

Anyway, it was actually one of the wires that we had a problem with. Wrong wire attached to the wrong thingy at the fan. I don't know enough about electricity to use the proper terminology. At the time we had 2 wall switches and one of them had a dimmer switch on it and somehow that caused the problem.
My husband did fix it though, and he made me promise to come back here and thank everyone for their input....
but I forgot.

so Thank you! to all who responded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House