Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times

Advertisements

I have wind damage to 180 shingles plus wood is damaged on front porch from water. They figured in wood replacement and painting for the porch.

Now the ins co states that I do not have enough damage $$ to replace the whole roof so they want me to repair the damaged shingles on my 6 yo roof. I am fighting that since I feel that will be noticeable and if I sell my house it will affect the value of it.

They say it will eventually blend in but that doesn't sit well with me. They want me to use some company they have a deal with to repair it.

Originally they stated I had $4k in damages then they stated 'oops my mistake' it is only $2K. One roofer gave me an estimate of 25sq feet of shingles IIRC

I need guidance here. I am a single woman and feel they are trying to take advantage off me.

The house is 45r yo and around 1500 sq feet ranch. Not sure if that helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
A lot depends on how old the roof is, and they can get the same brand and color shingles.
If the roof is over 5 or 6 years, the shingles will likely stand out like a sore thumb. As far as blending goes, I fail to follow their logic.

If the shingles are several years old, they have several years of sun exposure and fading, and several years of rain and wind washing off some of the material. How is it possible for new shingles to "catch up" with the fading and natural erosion of the material?

Old 03-03-2012, 08:19 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Insurance companies ARE NOT your friend. They ARE NOT there to protect your home as claimed in their fraudulent loud obnoxious commercials. I have much experience dealing with these crooks. I was quite involved in the rebuilding from the devastating Hurricane IKE and talked face to face with hundreds of victims of these insurance companies........oops I mean Homeowners, all having a story to tell.

Want proof they are crooks? Drive along any Interstate highway. Pick out the most expensive beautiful architecturally perfect office buildings. What does the big sign say the occupant is? Insurance companies...good guess. Go to any professional sports arena. Look at the sign on all the private box seats. All insurance companies along with oil & gas companies. THAT IS YOUR/OUR MONEY that was supposed to pay claims!!!

These crooks......oops I mean insurance companies will say and do anything to avoid paying claims or cheat to skirt the cheap way out. I spend a great deal of time in the HOME forums hopefully educating people how to buy cabinets without getting raped. My direct experience with insurance companies are the following:

When a kitchen floods from a broken pipe, only the base cabs are ruined. Right? Insurance Co will only replace your bases claiming the uppers are not damaged. Only problem is you can't match your uppers if they are a few years old so they want you to have mismatching bases and uppers.

Other thing they do is refuse to pay a claim from storm flood waters. The Ins Co claims you do not have flood insurance. The Homeowners says yea but the hurricane caused the flood which ruined my home and WE ARE covered from hurricanes. So who is right?

I have horror stories by Insurance companies I can tell all day long. My advice to you is if it is worth it, hire a Lawyer to write a letter. They usually back off and pay quickly. But I can tell you that it's been 3;5 years since Hurricane IKE and there are still thousands of ex loyal insured Homeowners still waiting for the first penny and still live in FEMA trailers or motels.

Good luck getting your due. I'd put my chances better at buying some pick 6 lotto tickets.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:40 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
What kind of shingles are they? If they are wood, they will eventually blend in. It happens all the time in my neighborhood, where some of the homes have not yet replaced the wooden shingles with something different. If it's fiberglass or whatever that stuff is, I think they will blend in too. We had storm damage last summer and had to have a few singles replaced on the corner of our house where a tree fell on it. They told me that they wouldn't quite match because our roof isn't new. Not sure how old it is, but I know it's more than 8 years old. Honestly, even when I look for it, I can't see the difference.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:37 PM

They are asphalt shingles and the roof is 6 years old. My thought exactly is how the heck will the roof ever catch up when it is time to replace the one part the other part will still be 6 years younger. I think they are 20 yr shingles.

To me 180 shingles is a lot of shingles and are going to stand out like a sore thumb. I am not planning on selling right now but you never know.

One roofer told me to write to the ins commissioner for the state and complain. Honestly I expect to screwed by someone else's ins company but not my own.

I just need something to hit them with in order to make them think I know what I am talking about,. LOL

Old 03-03-2012, 04:55 PM

Six year old roof with new shingles will stick out! Some people may not notice, but they aren't looking very hard then. I'm a home inspector, so things pop out at me maybe more than "normal" people.

It might look just fine from a quarter mile away..........on a rainy day.......at dusk............with dark glasses on.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:52 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
We had only about 2 dozen shingle blow off a roof that was 5 years old and our insurance company paid to replace the whole roof of shingles. Somebody is getting ripped off OP, you're paying a premium to the insurance company for this type of coverage. Probably your agent doesn't want to get dinged by his company for losses that cost him some commission.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:59 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Independent Insurance Adjustor.
Find one.

http://www.adjustersinternational.com/homeowners.cfm
http://www.naiia.com/

Old 03-07-2012, 03:18 PM

I want to thank you all for the advice. As of this week the adjuster told me he would not replace the roof. I asked for his supervisor and he did not want to give it to me. He said he would call.. yeah right. I have sent a complaint to the Ins Commissoner but I am not sure if it will do any good other than it helped my blood pressure. LOL

Old 03-07-2012, 06:55 PM

Keep after them, go as high up the ladder (no pun intended) as you need to. Get a supervisor involved.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House